Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
We were there in July as Golds and got NOTHING....
How as the resort as a whole? Haven't had a review recently. I'm a new Plat (thanks to the SPG merger) and am thinking of visiting next month.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by joanek
How as the resort as a whole? Haven't had a review recently. I'm a new Plat (thanks to the SPG merger) and am thinking of visiting next month.

Honestly, we really enjoyed it. The breakfast (booked with rate) was outstanding. The beach is deserted and very wavy in July. The rooms are nice, the wifi is good. The service is pleasant.
The clientele was diverse in the sense of old couples and young families. Brits, Aussies, Indians, Singaporians, lots of Koreans, Swedes and a few Americans.
We flew into HKT and rented a van for the same price as the airport transfer. That gave us flexibility and we went out into town for dinners and drinks. I think the hotel itself is pretty boring if you spend 3-4 days there straight, but if you are mobile, it is great.
There is nothing much around the hotel. A by the beach massage/laundry place, a 7/11 and I believe an Italian Restaurant about a 10 min walk inland.

I would certainly go back as it was great value ($86 for the three of us with breakfast), but I need to be mobile.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater

...I would certainly go back as it was great value ($86 for the three of us with breakfast), but I need to be mobile.
Thanks for the update. It's incredibly inexpensive next month, so I may give it a try.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Staying at the property on points as a Plat. Is it safe to say I will get exactly what I paid for and no more aka bfast, upgrade, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
What more do you want? There is a massage business right by the hotel
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Kids Club Question

Would love to hear feedback on the kids club - when compared to the JW Mai Khao. We have been to the JW Mai Khao and my kids love the kids club there. Can someone compare them in terms of space, facilities, people etc?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Does anyone have a good contact at this hotel? GM, res manager, etc?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:30 pm

We recently made a 5 night trip (Thanksgiving) to the JW Khao Lak. First time there - as we in the past have been to the JW Mai Khao about 4-5 times in the past few years.

We used cheaper than hotel taxis and got a brand new SUV for a great price to the hotel. Took us about 60-75 minutes.

We were upgrade to the duplex suite - which was really nice with a nice outdoor patio - large bedroom upstairs and a day bed, reading table, dining table downstairs. Wasn't as amazing as the Pool Suite at the JW Mai Khao that we were upgrade too but was pretty amazing nonetheless.

Beach - Nicer than Mai Khao as in the waves were there and fun to play in but not too rough. No undertow either

Weather - Great except one day it rained

Kids Club - Not a bad kids club but there were hardly any kids - I think we saw 2-3 other kids. Maybe it was time of the year but the JW Mai Khao has more kids - which is great if you have young kids who like playing with others.

Property - Really really well designed. The one large pool concept makes it pretty amazing. Pool Bar is nice - they actually have 2. The way they have designed the adults only section is pretty stylish. Lobby area and check in isn't grand but the rest of the property is really well designed.

The beach side shacks provide a great way to eat good food on the cheap. The usual massage huts but what was nice was the massage place (it was a actual shop as opposed to the ones on the beach and only 1oo THB more) and the Italian and Thai Restaurant.

Only downside is (and this might be seasonal) that this hotel is a popular venue for Indian Weddings so it can get crowded or loud at some point. We had an issue one day and the Duty Manager more than compensated us for that. New GM - my wife met him and said he is already got funding for property improvements.

Glad to answer any questions while the trip is still fresh in my memory.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:32 pm

Had a different experience - went as a gold and upgrade to a duplex suite

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Staying at the property on points as a Plat. Is it safe to say I will get exactly what I paid for and no more aka bfast, upgrade, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Do you think it is worth mentioning my Marriott Gold status upon check in (via SPG gold) despite I actually booked my upcoming stay via the Amex Plat travel website?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:16 am

I will stay in this hotel with my family next month. I didn't book the rooms with breakfast but they do give me a good rate thanks to LNF. Does anyone know the breakfast price? Can I get a discount for breakfast as a gold status?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hyatt Discoverist (ex CC), Marriott Titanium, Miles& More Senator
Stayed with family in 3 rooms, found amazing package called "return to paradise" which included food and a daily massage...

Rooms dated but traditional Thai style which i like, water access room not as easy as it appears on pictures as you need to walk from balcony thru rocks and mud...to access pool in most wings...

Food was the most dissapointing! The package included all meals, bfast was good. Lunch basic and dinner very restricted menus in the 3 restaurants.

Biggest issue was the quality of food, smelled off sometimes, thing there is a big focus on keeping food cost down in this place. Having stayed at other JW's in Thailand and 3 of the Thai renaissance hotels, I was expecting the usual good quality...but was very dissapointed.

If you stay here, prepare to bring some immodium!

The set menu's are also rushed, and whilst having dinner in the Japanese sakura restaurant, we had just received our miso soup, when the main course was dumped alongside!

Spa was good, traditional look and feel and good service. Beach is very good too

Having stayed in Marriotts around the world, I would rate this one the poorest i've stayed in! Not worthy of the JW label...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JFSV
Do you think it is worth mentioning my Marriott Gold status upon check in (via SPG gold) despite I actually booked my upcoming stay via the Amex Plat travel website?
Just to report back that Gold was honoured and we were upgraded to a pool access room, which was great.

Unlike above review, I did find the propert very good overall, including meals (aside from the price of wine, which was ridiculously expensive).

We liked the staff and the service, friendly and willing to help. The Japanese restaurant was also good, we sat next to the chef so we saw how our food was cooked. We were lucky - the hotel did not seem fully booked so there were not many kids.

I would consider going back to this property
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by JFSV
Just to report back that Gold was honoured and we were upgraded to a pool access room, which was great.

Unlike above review, I did find the propert very good overall, including meals (aside from the price of wine, which was ridiculously expensive).

We liked the staff and the service, friendly and willing to help. The Japanese restaurant was also good, we sat next to the chef so we saw how our food was cooked. We were lucky - the hotel did not seem fully booked so there were not many kids.

I would consider going back to this property
I really like this place, for the service, the tranquillity, and proximity to beachside massage and eating huts, even if it's probably due some light renovation now...

...but I wouldn't call the pool access rooms an upgrade! I find them dark, damp due to the pool, and lacking in privacy, with people swimming past at all times of day! Personally, I'd prefer a first floor room, close to the beach/pool, and with a useable balcony, but YMMV!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:48 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
So am returning here for a few nights in Feb, the e-mail address I had bounced! Does anyone have any current contacts here - I just don't fancy phoning Thailand long distance with my few requests and nothing other than phone numbers appear on their website?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.