Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I have read the entire thread, including the wiki at the top, but there is no timestamp on the last edit, and people do mention that a lounge is being created or it is at least referenced so I wanted to check, but it's always nice to get the "read the manual" type responses lol.

Good to know - thanks! In terms of renting a car in Phuket, I have rented a car in some countries where they force you to buy all sorts of insurance options in order to have the car. How does that sort of thing work in Thailand? Should I assume that renting a car is similar to in the USA and that the total price + tax I see is what I'll pay there? Any tips for driving there? I see that parking at the JW is free - is it safe to drive around town and leave the car parked? As long as we'll be driving, any recommended day trips from the JW?

Awesome!
You should rent a car with Expedia or directly on the website of your favourite car rental company. I usually use Hertz. There is one mandatory insurance they will make you purchase. I think it's a few dollars a day, but should be included in the rate quoted when you make an overseas booking.

If you have your standard premium credit card you just refuse all insurance as you normally do.

Rent early for December bookings as they have limited inventory there.

Having a car is great also for getting around (waterfalls, even a day in Phuket etc.).
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:54 pm

JW Marriott Khao Lak

Hi -

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I thought I read somewhere that the Marriott Khao Lak stopped doing free breakfast for elite members? Say this is not so!!!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:59 pm
soy

Programs: various
Seems to be an Asian wide policy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ailand-94.html

In fairness the 'no resorts' policy at marriott is very poor form
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

There are still exceptions like the Pattaya Marriott Resort which still provides breakfast to both G/Ps in either the exec lounge and/or restaurant.

Originally Posted by soy
Seems to be an Asian wide policy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ailand-94.html

In fairness the 'no resorts' policy at marriott is very poor form
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Unhappy Alert: This hotel no longer provides G & P elite members FREE Breakfast

My wife just checked in a couple of hours ago. She is a gold member but only was provide 20% discount for breakfast. Also, no upgrade no other benefits. The front desk told it's their new policy. So disappointed!!!

Please update the Wiki upfront.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:21 pm
Suspended

there's nothing new about this policy as its been published for over a year both in Sharon's sticky (updated last month) and in another thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-thailand.html
on Phuket, but that's what happens when new threads are started without using the search engine, albeit not the best, and threads are not merged.

Originally Posted by light02
Alert: This hotel no longer provides G & P elite members FREE Breakfast. My wife just checked in a couple of hours ago. She is a gold member but only was provide 20% discount for breakfast. Also, no upgrade no other benefits. The front desk told it's their new policy. So disappointed!!!

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by leeky
there's nothing new about this policy as its been published for over a year both in Sharon's sticky (updated last month) and in another thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-thailand.html
on Phuket, but that's what happens when new threads are started without using the search engine, albeit not the best, and threads are not merged.
You're correct & it is in the exec lounge sticky. However, the poster you were replying to asked that the wiki (which still showed free brekkie) be updated, as he's not wiki-enabled. I deleted the free brekkie from the wiki.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by light02
My wife just checked in a couple of hours ago. She is a gold member but only was provide 20% discount for breakfast. Also, no upgrade no other benefits. The front desk told it's their new policy. So disappointed!!!

this is bad. I was staying dec 21-31 and we had free breakfast as Gld. This was also stated as a benefit on the welcome letter. And this is just after I lamented they no longer have a happy hour. It seem that deterioration of benefits at this property continue.
Which is sad, my family stayed there 4 times and it looks like we need to look for another hotel in Thailand as our base.
AX
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AX9465
Which is sad, my family stayed there 4 times and it looks like we need to look for another hotel in Thailand as our base.
AX
From what I can tell, there's only one resort that still offers free brekkie. "Pattaya Resort which has a lounge but gives G/Ps brekkie in either/both lounge/restaurant" (note from a fellow FTer).

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am a big fan of this property, and stayed there December 2014. There are photos and some details in THIS trip report. I was a plat at the time and was upgraded to a 1st floor - swim out room.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Correct

(all other TH resorts offer G/Ps a 20% discount on F&B; the soon to open Hua Hin Marriott will likewise not offer G/Ps "free" breakfast but they might offer the 20% discount - will know upon opening in April)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
From what I can tell, there's only one resort that still offers free brekkie. "Pattaya Resort which has a lounge but gives G/Ps brekkie in either/both lounge/restaurant" (note from a fellow FTer).

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
What is the difference between a rate that states breakfast included vs breakfast at waterfront restaurant?

I assume waterfront restaurant is more elegant and better view, but I saw pics of a nice large buffet spread. Is that the "breakfast included"?

BTW, I see rates of $79 including buffet breakfast in Aug 2016. (I know, it will rain a bit...)
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
What is the difference between a rate that states breakfast included vs breakfast at waterfront restaurant?

I assume waterfront restaurant is more elegant and better view, but I saw pics of a nice large buffet spread. Is that the "breakfast included"?

BTW, I see rates of $79 including buffet breakfast in Aug 2016. (I know, it will rain a bit...)
There was only one restaurant that served breakfast as far as I understood. The buffet was good, and the picture you saw would be the breakfast.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Is the free happy hour at the bar for gold and plat mentioned in the Wiki here still in play ?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
We were there in July as Golds and got NOTHING....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.