Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
Having experienced some unfortunate flooding incidents due to hurricanes, I have an irrational fear of natural disasters like tsunamis. I know this hotel was impacted by the Boxing Day one back in 2004. Is there higher ground to evacuate to near the hotel in case warnings go off?
this is NOT the same as the original le Meridien khao lak which was impacted by the 2004 tsunami (that one is now a Robinson). there's not high ground to run to, per se, the high ground in this case would be the top floor of the hotel up two flights of stairs.
DallasEsq likes this.

Last edited by karenkay; Oct 5, 2022 at 5:30 pm Reason: wrong info previously
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karenkay
I'm at the hotel now, full review to follow soonish; those pictures are awesome...

so it looks like they added both new villas and 2br suites (that are listed as separate "suites" property).. have you by any change had a chance to take a look at those?
i booked 2br on points for xmas...

edit: looks like google maps satellite pic is fairly recent and the layout of this new wing is well captured

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 5, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by karenkay
just a note that better than hotel taxis/boss taxi khao lak worked a treat to get us from HKT to the hotel. 1200BhT for a knowledgable local driver with good English.

for azepine00, there are some restaurant/massage places on the beach by the hotel which are open, and other which are still shuttered. khao lak town is a shadow of its former self, but coming back, I hear.
Hi KK, just to clarify, the 1200B was just for daily local chauffering around Khao Lak or the one-way HKT to Khao Lak transfer? And was it an evening transfer?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
1200 was from HKT to the hotel, mid afternoon.
cost us 1400 back to HKT, with an hourlong stop for dinner at a place he recommended (I arranged both of those trips via email).
we didn't have him drive us all day, just used him point to point for various trips--I had a local cell and called.
we found him to be reliable and cheaper not only than 'hotel taxi,' but also the touts that were in front of and alongside the hotel.
dannybhoy likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:04 am

Question Electrical points in the rooms

Are the electrical points in the rooms multi-type able to take the various plug heads? Or if they are region-specific, hopefully either Europe or Brit or Aus/China?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:14 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
Are the electrical points in the rooms multi-type able to take the various plug heads? Or if they are region-specific, hopefully either Europe or Brit or Aus/China?
Last time I was there (2019 pre-reno room), I recall that there were a couple of universal sockets that can take any plug. The remainder were region specific
dannybhoy likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by soy
Last time I was there (2019 pre-reno room), I recall that there were a couple of universal sockets that can take any plug. The remainder were region specific
Thanks. Do you recall the specific ones were of which region?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:35 pm

I will be in Khao lak in a couple of days, staying at casa de flora, looks like a newly added Marriott property. Can I get the info for the taxi from Phuket airport? Can't seem to find it on Google
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:50 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I think it is part of Design hotels so just have low expectations about any elite treatment ( unless they rebranded recently)
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
I will be in Khao lak in a couple of days, staying at casa de flora, looks like a newly added Marriott property. Can I get the info for the taxi from Phuket airport? Can't seem to find it on Google
It is not a newly added property - it has its own thread.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Staying here now. I find it very irritating and disappointing that the bar czar is currently not operational and the ONLY place to have a pre- or post dinner drink is the beachbar. This is totally inadequate when being dressed up and especially when it is raining.

I will definitely complain at checkout about this as there is essentially nowhere to have a drink at except the restaurants.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
With the price being about the same for two rooms (connecting) in the new or old wing - oddly bookable as two different hotels. Is there a preference from those who have been between the new and old wings. The new wing looks to be further away and a view of the back of buildings?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:38 pm

Question Resort Suites?

No stays at the recently opened and co-located Resort Suites property? Was hoping for at least one semi-detailed review before my own prospective stay in the week before Chrimbo. There's also a lack of detailed publicity online specifically about the new property, apart from the canned releases (52 suites blah blah) carried on several tourism websites and the Bangkok Post.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 7:00 pm
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
No stays at the recently opened and co-located Resort Suites property? Was hoping for at least one semi-detailed review before my own prospective stay in the week before Chrimbo. There's also a lack of detailed publicity online specifically about the new property, apart from the canned releases (52 suites blah blah) carried on several tourism websites and the Bangkok Post.

currently on property.considering this is the shoulder season it is very busy but mainly due to the non stop Indian weddings! One is ok but they appear to be almost back to back. Otherwise the property is looking as beautiful and as well maintained as ever. When we arrived we were put in the new wing. I did not like the location and the fact we only had a palm tree view. Managed to get an upgrade a couple of days later so very happy. The new suites are obviously located within the hotel grounds and have access to all restaurants/ facilities. They look lovely but are in a terrible location right up by the reception. We are looking at booking for next November and find the price for the suites is less than the lowest room in the main hotel. Was considering booking it as even though we don’t need a second bedroom thought it might be nice to have the extra space. Decided against it due to the location. I must say for its size the hotel runs smoothly. Small local beach restaurants mainly reopened and shuttle to khao lak reinstated. Apart from the Indian weddings and occasional afternoon downpours thoroughly enjoying our first long haul break since covid.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by fdem
currently on property.considering this is the shoulder season it is very busy but mainly due to the non stop Indian weddings! One is ok but they appear to be almost back to back. Otherwise the property is looking as beautiful and as well maintained as ever. When we arrived we were put in the new wing. I did not like the location and the fact we only had a palm tree view. Managed to get an upgrade a couple of days later so very happy. The new suites are obviously located within the hotel grounds and have access to all restaurants/ facilities. They look lovely but are in a terrible location right up by the reception. We are looking at booking for next November and find the price for the suites is less than the lowest room in the main hotel. Was considering booking it as even though we don’t need a second bedroom thought it might be nice to have the extra space. Decided against it due to the location. I must say for its size the hotel runs smoothly. Small local beach restaurants mainly reopened and shuttle to khao lak reinstated. Apart from the Indian weddings and occasional afternoon downpours thoroughly enjoying our first long haul break since covid.
Thanks for the update. Good to know that the local eateries are now open and accessible. I'm only going to be there 5 nights, but I get bored with resort food right quick.

What was your original booking and what was your upgrade to? You say you "were put in the new wing", but surely to be in the new Suites property, you'd have to make a reservation at that property? Unless...both properties have an arrangement in which the original Resort and Spa shuffles some Suite-paying guests or Suite-eligible guests over to the new Resort Suites...?

Given that the layout of both developments is perpendicular to the beach, you'd only have a view of greenery or a man-made water feature; probably only the villas have got some decent view of the sea. Certainly the position of the new Suites property on the northern flank of the older development is questionable. But all of these are evident from pre-existing resort plans and the updated google map overheads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.