Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, Dominican Republic [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club, Dominican Republic [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Okay folks, this thread has been very helpful to me. I've just held three nights in February for a mini-honeymoon (full honeymoon in 2017, ideally in Europe/Asia).

Room held on points (16k per night) with my platinum account.

Called the concierge (took two times after the cal was transferred to dead line). She was friendly and arranged a pickup from the airport, which seems to have no additional charge over the $20 rate (a first!). She also send me the list of excursions and put notes in the file about an upgrade. I'm not optimistic about about upgrade.

For those on this list that have gone on excursions near this property, what was best, and who did you use?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Okay folks, this thread has been very helpful to me. I've just held three nights in February for a mini-honeymoon (full honeymoon in 2017, ideally in Europe/Asia).

Room held on points (16k per night) with my platinum account.

Called the concierge (took two times after the cal was transferred to dead line). She was friendly and arranged a pickup from the airport, which seems to have no additional charge over the $20 rate (a first!). She also send me the list of excursions and put notes in the file about an upgrade. I'm not optimistic about about upgrade.

For those on this list that have gone on excursions near this property, what was best, and who did you use?
We did a 4 or 6 hour (can't remember) boat trip set up through the activity desk near the pool. It included a few hours of fishing and a few hours of snorkeling for me and my family. Don't remember the exact cost but remember thinking it was very reasonable. They pick up/drop off right at the dock near on the beach at the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:25 pm

Four Points Sheraton

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on the Four Points Sheraton in Punta Cana Village. I just stayed there for 3 days this past weekend. It was very convenient with a free shuttle to and from the airport, a shuttle to the private beach (much less touristy and more open white sandy beaches which was great), and free parking (if you rent a car for a day or two like I did).

I picked it because it was way cheaper than the Westin and shared the same beach.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Thanks

Thanks- this is helpful. Was the snorkeling good? How much are we talking about per person, roughly?

Originally Posted by bsdstone
We did a 4 or 6 hour (can't remember) boat trip set up through the activity desk near the pool. It included a few hours of fishing and a few hours of snorkeling for me and my family. Don't remember the exact cost but remember thinking it was very reasonable. They pick up/drop off right at the dock near on the beach at the hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by blankspace
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on the Four Points Sheraton in Punta Cana Village. I just stayed there for 3 days this past weekend. It was very convenient with a free shuttle to and from the airport, a shuttle to the private beach (much less touristy and more open white sandy beaches which was great), and free parking (if you rent a car for a day or two like I did).

I picked it because it was way cheaper than the Westin and shared the same beach.
We saw the 4 points, and it looked nice enough. Problem is it's not ON the beach. Schlepping your wife, kids, and crap on and off the shuttle every day isn't my idea of fun!
Old May 3, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Cat 4 or Cat 5?

On the spg website it shows this as being a Cat 4 (great value), whereas the hotel's website shows it as Cat 5. I didn't notice it being due for a drop during the last round of category changes in Feb. Has this just quietly happened?
Old May 3, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by RafKa
On the spg website it shows this as being a Cat 4 (great value), whereas the hotel's website shows it as Cat 5. I didn't notice it being due for a drop during the last round of category changes in Feb. Has this just quietly happened?
I think I remember it going to 4 in the initial announcement. It's bookable as 4 on spg.com now. ^
Old May 3, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Medved
I think I remember it going to 4 in the initial announcement. It's bookable as 4 on spg.com now. ^
Cat 4 is excellent value as rates can climb into U$300 in the high season!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Any updated reviews? Thinking about doing 5 nights on points in Feb (40k points - 5th night free) sandwiched by a night at the 4 Points before and after, so 7 nights total for 48,000 points between the two properties. Looks like the 4 Points even has free airport shuttle and free shuttle to/from the Westin, so we might even avoid the $20 airport transfers.

I have Southwest and SPG points to burn, and the Dominican Republic is a short Southwest flight for me...

Just looking for updated reviews as it's been a while since one was posted in this thread and the majority of the TripAdvisor reviews seem to be positive (versus what I read in this thread from 2014).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am in the middle of a weeks stay with points. We are enjoying our stay! There is a lot of information on Trip Advisor regarding the hotel, mostly accurate. I would happy return to this hotel again. This is a relatively quiet hotel with a beautiful beach. I you are looking to relax, this is a great place. If you are looking for many activities, night life, etc. I suggest an all inclusive.

I have Platinum status with SPG.
Regarding frequent flyer information, I booked a suite with points, since most of the reviews suggest a suite upgrade is difficult. From my limited discussion with the staff, it appears that suite upgrades for Platinum are limited.

The continental breakfast is included. Plenty of food for myself and wife. We upgraded to the full buffet once. I haven't checked what the up charge is.

The hotel offers 250 points if you decline new linens. However, the maid would still offer to clean the room.

Not noted on the web site, but the suites have DVD players.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jeepbrew
Any updated reviews? Thinking about doing 5 nights on points in Feb (40k points - 5th night free) sandwiched by a night at the 4 Points before and after, so 7 nights total for 48,000 points between the two properties. Looks like the 4 Points even has free airport shuttle and free shuttle to/from the Westin, so we might even avoid the $20 airport transfers.

I have Southwest and SPG points to burn, and the Dominican Republic is a short Southwest flight for me...

Just looking for updated reviews as it's been a while since one was posted in this thread and the majority of the TripAdvisor reviews seem to be positive (versus what I read in this thread from 2014).
Yes the 4 Points has free transport from the airport if you are staying at the 4 points. Then you will need to take another shuttle from the 4 Points to the Westin. This will save you the $20 airport transfer.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:36 pm

Continuing my trip report.
The hotel has a couple of restaurants, decent food, but relatively expensive (as most hotel restaurants)

There are 2 restaurants (on the beach) that can be reached by walking (although the Grill is a 20 min walk). The free shuttle will also take you there.

There is a shuttle that runs approximately every hour that will take you to the 4 Points/"Village". There are several restaurants as well as a supermarket and Pharmacy in the village. Food is less expensive, tasty and safe to eat.

Leaving the "complex" tends to be expensive. Excursions run $75-125.
We did a day trip to Santo Domingo for $95/person.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sharkey
I am in the middle of a weeks stay with points. We are enjoying our stay! There is a lot of information on Trip Advisor regarding the hotel, mostly accurate. I would happy return to this hotel again. This is a relatively quiet hotel with a beautiful beach. I you are looking to relax, this is a great place. If you are looking for many activities, night life, etc. I suggest an all inclusive.

I have Platinum status with SPG.
Regarding frequent flyer information, I booked a suite with points, since most of the reviews suggest a suite upgrade is difficult. From my limited discussion with the staff, it appears that suite upgrades for Platinum are limited.

The continental breakfast is included. Plenty of food for myself and wife. We upgraded to the full buffet once. I haven't checked what the up charge is.

The hotel offers 250 points if you decline new linens. However, the maid would still offer to clean the room.

Not noted on the web site, but the suites have DVD players.
Thanks for the reviews! We are considering this one for a March getaway and taking my parents. We'd get two rooms most likely, unless there is a 2-bed option. They get free airfare and hotel on my miles and points, and we get them to pay everything else.

We are definitely looking for beautiful beach and relaxation and maybe a low-key excursion or two (parents are almost 80).

Can you tell me how much it cost to get the suites on points? Is it a 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom suite?

I am also Plat and have my suite nights to use that might be a better option.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm

Can you tell me how much it cost to get the suites on points? Is it a 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom suite?

I am also Plat and have my suite nights to use that might be a better option.[/QUOTE]

The suite is a one bedroom with a living room. In our suite, there wasn't a door between the bedroom and living room, no privacy. There is a sleeper sofa in the living room. One large bathroom with shower and bath.

I believe the upgrade to a suite was 1000 points/night, but don't quote me on that. I am a brand new SPG Platinum thanks to Marriott.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Has anyone booked or stayed here recently? I'm looking into booking a 5 night trip in January but the cancellation policy is putting me off. For a trip in January, the cancellation policy reads "If you cancel between Fri 28 July 2017 and 4:00 PM hotel time on Thu, 14 Dec 2017, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after the 4:00PM hotel time on Thur, 14 Dec 2017, the forfeiture amount will be a 21 night stay. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes." Really? Is that normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.