Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Newport News Marriott at City Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier

I just checked in to this new property that opened only a few weeks ago. It is quite elegant and located in a new town center shopping area similar to the Rio in Gaithersburg, MD. Concierge lounge is open throughout the day and has excellent canopes. Staff is exceptionally friendly. Location is just west of the Hampton Roads tunnel, off Clyde Morris Boulevard. I am staying here because Norfolk Waterside and Portsmouth Renaissance were not available. All in all-- a very impressive hotel.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Thanks for the report--I plan on checking this place out as an alternative to the Williamsburg properties.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by happywanderer
I just checked in to this new property that opened only a few weeks ago. It is quite elegant and located in a new town center shopping area similar to the Rio in Gaithersburg, MD. Concierge lounge is open throughout the day and has excellent canopes. Staff is exceptionally friendly. Location is just west of the Hampton Roads tunnel, off Clyde Morris Boulevard. I am staying here because Norfolk Waterside and Portsmouth Renaissance were not available. All in all-- a very impressive hotel.
thanx
i didnt even know this hotel existed

i spent the weekend at the Hampton Jazz Festival last month and stayed at the Portsmouth Renaissance

but if you go to the Norfolk Jazz Festival, the Norfolk Waterside is a 2 or 3 block walk
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:03 am

Does anyone know if their concierge lounge is open on weekends? If not,
do the provide breakfast coupons?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Any updates on this property? Am considering using one of my Category 1-4 certificates here in a couple of weekends to check out the Williamsburg area on the way back from two nights at the Renaissance Portsmouth.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think of Newport Rhode Island when I think of Newport. Took me a bit to realize this was in VA! There have been a few other threads where people just put the town name & not the state, not realizing others might not know where it's located.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Was there back in November of 2009. Wow, that's almost a year ago. Anyway, nice hotel. No upgrade for Plats. Lounge was nothing special. Parking was $7. The only thing that bothered me about the hotel, was they GM was having a reception for Gold and Platinum Elites, the night I checked in. I was not informed of it, even though I check in around 4:00pm. I only found out when I stumbled upon it while waiting for my co-worker. But I did visit the reception and it had a pretty good spread with free booze.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Newport News Marriott at City Center

Greetings,

Any feedback on this property?

And, would a Platinum MR with two guests (my kids, both minors) get comp breakfast?

The final destination of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, this property seems to be fairly close...

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Greetings,

Any feedback on this property?

And, would a Platinum MR with two guests (my kids, both minors) get comp breakfast?

The final destination of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, this property seems to be fairly close...

Thanks!
Answering my own post after staying there Saturday night...

The property is fine, and we did get complimentary breakfast (the buffet at Rockefeller's). Also, free internet and free self-parking.

A very nice stay, indeed.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:25 am

Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Checked in last night after having not been here for at least 3 years.

Agent couldn't find my 4 night reservation, then insisted it didn't exist even after giving a confirmation. Check-in took a good 15 minutes, which was the last thing I wanted after 5 hours of car and delayed train travel. Woke up this morning to find a folio print-out under my door, aka, the guy didn't check me in correctly. FD sorted it out, but just another 10 minutes of my day wasted.

Lobby has been renovated, bar is MUCH bigger now since my last time here. Rooms are newer style but I don't believe they were fully renovated when the lobby was.

The town center is interesting, there's no shortage of places but there's nobody in any of them. Had dinner at an Italian place which was fine, nothing special.

Parking is now free (as far as I can tell), the lounge is bare minimum both mornings and evenings. Morning was bacon, eggs, oatmeal, fruit and some sorry looking pastries. Coffee in the lounge is absolutely god awful. Evening has one hot item, deli tray, veggies and cheese, Hidden bar (I guess it was pretty 'honor', because I'm not pouring), and 1 computer. Morning and evening agents were friendly, though both had dollars on the desk by the exit.

Overall, this property is fine. It's about 40 minutes from my customer, but better than a Courtyard or FF which I've spent most of my 45 nights this year in.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:26 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Are there proper desks in the rooms post-renovation?

Cheers.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Are there proper desks in the rooms post-renovation?

Cheers.
Yes, there are proper desks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here of late?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by nevansm
Morning and evening agents were friendly, though both had dollars on the desk by the exit.
Dollars on the desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.