FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity, India [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1489858-jw-marriott-hotel-new-delhi-aerocity-india-master-thread.html)

Chalky White Sep 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by navendu99 (Post 21421131)
I have been following this hotel for an upcoming trip. This has been delayed for many months due to Government of India security concerns. Its not tentatively going to open in October. I think it was supposed to open in June, then July and then August. That's Indian gov't for you.

I have been following it as well. I would like to stay there in October but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Can you imagine spending millions to build a hotel that the government later decides is not allowed to open? Only in India...

BKKLEE Sep 10, 2013 4:51 pm

sorry to say it's also happened in China too (when the City of Shanghai wouldn't provide occupational license and they're the owners of the hotel).........

Originally Posted by Chalky White (Post 21421512)
Can you imagine spending millions to build a hotel that the government later decides is not allowed to open? Only in India...

3millandmore Sep 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Marriott Aerocity

Last word was that the local governments were about to sign off on security issues. Now they may be requiring a massive glass wall between hotel and runway. One would have thought that all this would have been sorted out before 14 hotels started construction. Seems the hotel is ready to go but government is not. If any new information, please reply.

navendu99 Sep 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Some more info on what all the hotel had to do to comply:
http://www.hospitalitybizindia.com/d...id=17609&sid=1

Earlier, the hotel received conditional clearance from BCAS, which said the hotel authorities would have to meet certain conditions keeping in mind the security issues before applying for licence. According to the police, one of the conditions was that all the rooms facing the runway should be sealed and alarm systems installed to prevent any unlawful entry into the rooms. Another condition was that the passages leading to the top floor and the rooftop should be blocked and access should be allowed only under supervision. A third condition was that entry to the balcony on the sixth floor be shut and sealed, and rooms facing the runway should be secured with bulletproof glasses. The hotel claims to have fulfilled all the conditions stated the report.

johnaalex Oct 1, 2013 5:01 am

Now the web site says "Opening October 2013" - any takers?:D

BKKLEE Oct 1, 2013 5:15 am

since no inventory has been loaded for any dates, think I'll pass...........

Originally Posted by johnaalex (Post 21533696)
Now the web site says "Opening October 2013" - any takers?:D

Retired FF Oct 1, 2013 7:24 am

About three months ago or so when it was taking reservations, I had booked a couple stays for December. At the time it was showing 'opening July 2013'.
I do hope that it is open in October or soon after because the only other Marriott is a Courtyard in Gurgaon and not very convenient in Delhi traffic.

Retired FF Oct 9, 2013 2:21 pm

looks like it is about to open

Just noticed that the hotel is taking reservation for stays starting October 18th. The rates now are about 40% higher than when it originally started accepting reservations about four months ago which is when I booked for my upcoming trip in December.

johnaalex Oct 9, 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Retired FF (Post 21581559)
Just noticed that the hotel is taking reservation for stays starting October 18th. The rates now are about 40% higher than when it originally started accepting reservations about four months ago which is when I booked for my upcoming trip in December.

Thanks for that, I have now managed to book my stay for next May. Do post a trip report after your stay.

BKKLEE Oct 9, 2013 5:41 pm

must have been VERY expensive security glass :D

Originally Posted by Retired FF (Post 21581559)

lucycan Oct 22, 2013 8:31 am

I'll be in the area for a week in November but fear staying here as it will probably still be working out the kinks. I'm at the Courtyard now.

Retired FF Oct 22, 2013 11:24 am

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 21648673)
I'll be in the area for a week in November but fear staying here as it will probably still be working out the kinks. I'm at the Courtyard now.

Would love to hear about your stay and a mini comparison between the Gurgaon Courtyard and the JW Marriott. I am booked at the JW for early December.

lucycan Oct 23, 2013 1:09 pm

I was going to move to this hotel as I need to fly down to Bangalore for a day trip but then I read this:

"This hotel does not provide shuttle service."

How does a 5 start hotel AT the airport NOT provide shuttle service???? This is why:

"Mercedes-Benz S Class; fee: 2500 INR (one way)"

Shameful.

Chalky White Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

You can get on the airport express train from the airport for about $1

lucycan Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm

OK, so I changed my reservation and will have 3 nights each at the CY and the new JW. Also 1 night at the Ritz in Bangalore. I'll get some updates when I return later in November.