FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1484980-marriott-rewards-united-mileageplus-rewardsplus-partnership.html)

smurdo Jan 28, 2001 7:49 pm

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

I have 300,000 Marriott Reward points and need to transfer some over to United Mileage Plus to create 90,000 United miles.

Is there a more efficient way of doing this to minimize my Marriott point redemption than to order NINE Code 790s? (Code 790 is for the redemption of 30,000 Marriott points to United for 10,000 United points). I really don't want to redeem 270,000 points -- is this the only way?

PG Jan 28, 2001 8:40 pm

I do not know of any other way than to ask for TEN transfers of 30K MR -> 10K United. You may also want to read some of the discussion about the Marriott air+hotel rewards where the air portion is done by depositing miles in your UA account.

FOOLISHRUNNER Jan 28, 2001 9:24 pm

Why don't you get one of the 200,000 awards and get 120-160,000 miles transferred to United and get a 7 night hotel voucher to boot? Look under the previous thread about the 200K awards.

------------------

LIH Prem Jan 29, 2001 4:33 am

Yes, use the 200k choice award: http://www.marriottrewards.com/awards/tpackage.asp

Not only will you get the miles you need, you'll also get a coupon for a 7 day stay, a 25% car rental discount coupon and a phone card.

Here's the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000514.html

And here's a helpful chart: http://www.flex.com/~dmk/marriott/

The chart includes links to the rules for the award so you can do your homework before you call MR.

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 01-29-2001).]

smurdo Jan 29, 2001 4:29 pm

This is great stuff -- through the help of this board -- my eyes really got opened as to this 200,000 redemption under Code 713.

I talked to Marriott today and confirmed my understanding of how this works -- will probably call back tomorrow to "do the deed".

Frankly, I do not need "two rt coach tickets" but DO need that level of UA Mileage Plus points transferred to my UA account. What I REALLY desire is 1 business class round trip US to China -- which is 90,000 UA miles. Code 713 for 200,000 points will get me there where Code 712 for 150,000 will not.

As far as the hotel -- I, like similar posters to the boards, don't desire 7 consecutive nights at the same hotel. But hey, I will use what I need of the 7 and not look back on those nights that I don't use. I'm still getting a FREE ROUNDTRIP BUSINESS CLASS to China and 3 FREE NIGHTS AT THE JW MARRIOTT in Hong Kong for 200,000 points -- not to mention the phone card.

THANKS EVERYONE ! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

LIH Prem Jan 29, 2001 7:18 pm

By requesting a choice award on UA to HKG .. You will actually get 120k M+ miles, so you'll get the 90k you want, plus an extra 30k in your account.

Also, you don't have to book the hotel portion of the trip when you call MR, unless you are really sure you want to use the entire 7-night coupon just for the 3 night stay. You can keep the coupon for a future Marriott visit (perhaps to HI or somewhere more expensive?) if you want to. They will probably tell you all that when you call them to book the award.

Depending on which hotel you choose and what days you stay, the hotel in HKG could be inexpensive enough to make that work for you, plus keep you on that road to that next 200k choice award.

-David

ozstamps Jan 31, 2001 1:03 am

These 7 day certs -- are they transferrable, or can they only be used in the name of recipient? I need 4 nights in NYC, and have lots of UA points and ............ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000561.html

Clark Kent 2001 Feb 5, 2001 12:34 pm

Smurdo, you sound like you have seen the light of the 200K award, but in case anyone out there is still thinking about a straight-up points-for-miles transfer, I think you can only do that a limited number of times per year. Here's an illustrative lesson in the foolishness of youth:

Silly me wasted 90,000 points a couple of years ago on three transfers to Delta SkyMiles; the swap netted me a piddling 30,000 miles. In any event, Marriott told me that I could only do two such swaps a year; I had to wait until January of the next year to do the third one.

I've smartened up considerably since then. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

flyerwife Feb 5, 2001 12:38 pm

Marriott 7 day cert specifically says "non-transferable".
Sorry......

rhermoso Feb 15, 2001 10:27 pm

MR transfer to United

I called MR tonight to try to use my MR points for a trip to Bali this summer on United (through their partner Singapore Airlines). The representative suggested using a 150,000-point award for a free ticket plus a 5-night hotel reward I can use at another time (since there is no marriott in bali). The problem is that United doesn't fly to Bali.
My question is does Marriott just transfer the points to my United account and then I can do as I wish with them (allowing my to fly on a United partner) or am I bound to fly United? And how many miles is my account credited for this 150,000-point award?
I had this issue a couple of years ago when I used MR to get a certificate for a free flight on United to New Zealand, but I had to fly United and not their partner Air New Zealand. Have their rules changed?

bagold Feb 15, 2001 10:59 pm

I did the same thing. Requested an award to Australia but miles transferred to AA. They said that AA doesn't fly to Australia but I said their partner QF does and it was 60,000 miles/ticket. So they found a destination equivalent to 60,000 miles (turned out to be S. America) and transferred the miles to AA. I am not sure whether it was an exception but I got the AA miles.

rhermoso Feb 15, 2001 11:03 pm

How many points did it take to get you 60,000 miles on American? I need 75,000 miles on United.

LIH Prem Feb 16, 2001 2:53 am

You are better off with the 200k choice award .. go read this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000514.html

With the 150k award, you can only get 60k UA Miles. For 200k, you can get 120k UA Miles.

The awards on AA, CO, DL and UA are Miles.

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 02-16-2001).]

transpac Aug 10, 2001 6:53 pm

Transfer of Miles from UA to Marriott

Can I transfer United Airlines Mileage Plus miles into the Marriott Rewards program? If so, what is the conversion rate?

PG Aug 10, 2001 9:53 pm

See my reply in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/007485.html

suzieq Apr 9, 2004 6:53 am

Points to United Miles

Rcvd Email indicating could transfer points from Marriott to United. Email not too specific. Is there a charge? Minimum # 0f miles or in certain amts? Anybody tried this? thanks

glg Apr 9, 2004 9:19 am

It's a standard award listed on the website:

http://marriott.com/rewards/usepoint...WT_Ref=mi_left

pinniped Apr 9, 2004 9:53 am

Was there anything in the email that led you to believe that there was a special MR-UA promotion going on?

jan_az Apr 9, 2004 9:24 pm

ITS A UA Promotion

I too received this email

The email was from UA. You had to redeem in blocks of enough to get 10K UA miles and then UA would give you 2.5K bonus miles

The email was pretty specific - you redeem by the date specified and get the bonus

HTH

Now through May 31, 2004, when you convert enough hotel points to equal at least 10,000 Mileage Plus miles, you’ll earn bonus miles.

Here’s how this special point-transfer program works:

— Select a hotel points program that you belong to from the list below
— Convert the hotel point equivalent of 10,000–19,999 miles, and you’ll earn 2,500 bonus miles
— Convert the hotel point equivalent of 20,000 miles or more, and you’ll earn 5,000 bonus miles

Marriott Rewards, visit Marriott online

Radisson Gold Rewards, visit Radisson online or call 1-800-508-9000

Priority Club Rewards, visit InterContinental Hotels Group online or call 1-888-211-9874

Choice Privileges, visit Choice Hotels online or call 1-888-770-6800

Gold Crown Club International, visit Best Western online or call 1-800-237-8483

rmyadsk Apr 10, 2004 5:21 pm

More promo details please

Does anyone know if this is a targeted UA promotion? Is there a link in the Email people are receiving from UA that can be used to register? I'm not sure UA would automatically add the bonus to every redemption made in this time period...

I have a stack of MR points and if I can get the bonus this would be a good time to convert them.

Thanks!

jan_az Apr 11, 2004 7:28 pm

There was no link to register and nothing that said only good for the receipient of this mailing

ade99 Jun 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Transfer MR Points to someone elses United Account

Is it possible to transfer some of my MR points into United MP miles of my partners?

mariojuztme Apr 27, 2013 9:46 am

How to transfer Marriott Rewards to Mileage program

If i choose earning preference to Miles/other program, Point will transfer to Miles/other program automatically or do i have to transfer by myself?

i'm not sure because i see this document from United Airlines

Convert points into miles: Marriott Rewards® members may convert Marriott Rewards points into award miles in the following increments:

10,000 points to 2,000 miles
20,000 points to 5,000 miles
30,000 points to 10,000 miles
70,000 points to 25,000 miles
125,000 points to 50,000 miles

I hope everyone will understand my topic. I can't write English very well

sammyindc Apr 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mariojuztme (Post 20661173)
If i choose earning preference to Miles/other program, Point will transfer to Miles/other program automatically or do i have to transfer by myself?

i'm not sure because i see this document from United Airlines

Convert points into miles: Marriott Rewards® members may convert Marriott Rewards points into award miles in the following increments:

10,000 points to 2,000 miles
20,000 points to 5,000 miles
30,000 points to 10,000 miles
70,000 points to 25,000 miles
125,000 points to 50,000 miles

I hope everyone will understand my topic. I can't write English very well

If you select miles as your earning preference they will post to your United account.
If you select points and want to transfer them you can do so from your United account with the ratio you quoted above.

GregWTravels Apr 28, 2013 3:41 am

These are two different things.

1. Earn Miles

If you choose to earn miles directly, then you earn either 2 or 1 miles per US dollar spent. It depends on the property. To see the earnings, check here - https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/miles.mi

These post directly to your airline account. You don't have to do anything.

To do this, you will select with Marriott Rewards your earning preference to be miles.

2. Earn Points and Transfer to United

You can transfer Marriott Rewards points to United after you have earned them IF you select to earn points. That is where the chart from United comes from. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...fer/hotel.aspx

In this case, you need to ask Marriott to transfer the points, so you would have to do something in this case.

To do this, you would select to earn points with Marriott Rewards, and then when you want to convert to miles, go to this link - https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi - and order the number of miles you want to buy with your points.

ricedion Apr 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Is it possible to transfer my Marriott miles to someone else's frequent flyer account? Specifically, I want to transfer my Marriott miles to my friend's Alaska airline account. Must the name matched in order to do the transfer? Would they check? Anyone done this before?

nsx May 1, 2013 7:19 pm

Is anyone anticipating a devaluation of the redemption rates for transfers of Marriott points to airline miles this year? Of is this year's hotel category creep unlikely to make transfers to airline miles more attractive?

In other words, are the airlines devaluing their miles just as quickly as Marriott is devaluing their points? :p

ricedion May 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ricedion (Post 20665513)
Is it possible to transfer my Marriott miles to someone else's frequent flyer account? Specifically, I want to transfer my Marriott miles to my friend's Alaska airline account. Must the name matched in order to do the transfer? Would they check? Anyone done this before?

I guess no one has done this before. I went ahead to do the transfer about 3 weeks ago. Points has been deducted from my Marriott account, but still haven't seen the point in my friend's Alaska airline account yet. They state that it takes between 6-8 weeks anyway. Finger crossed.

aaupgrade May 23, 2013 1:55 pm

T&C say transferred points have to go into your FF account. T&C provided below:
  1. Marriott Rewards members requesting a Mileage Reward must be a member of the relevant airline frequent flyer program in order to receive a Mileage Reward.
  2. Once frequent flyer miles have been requested, miles will automatically be transferred to the member's frequent flyer account. Please allow up to six weeks for miles to be posted to your frequent flyer account. For some airlines, expedited services are available for an additional fee.
  3. Once miles are credited to the member's frequent flyer account, changes, reissuance or recredit of Marriott Rewards points are not allowed.
  4. The terms and conditions of the airline programs control the redemption and distribution of the miles earned through Marriott Rewards.
  5. The frequent flyer program names are registered trademarks of the airlines. The airlines reserve the right to change the frequent flyer program at any time with or without notice. The airline is not responsible for products or services promised or supplied by other participating companies.
Regarding devaluation, yes it will happen. Inflation is a fact of life with regard to all forms of currencies, whether it be FF miles, FS points, or cash.

markr1 May 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Rate changed

Instead of "125,000 points to 50,000 miles"
Now is 140,000 points to 50,000 miles

Engineering Travel May 23, 2013 10:19 pm

And no advance warning, was waiting until I had 375K and change to 150K Avios. Currently sitting on 369K with few nights next month to get there.
To late now..:td:
But will now use for some nice holiday time in Asia

qazw1 May 24, 2013 5:55 am

Originally Posted by markr1 (Post 20802489)
Instead of "125,000 points to 50,000 miles"
Now is 140,000 points to 50,000 miles

One might as well do the hotel and air package. For 200,000 points, get the 50,000 miles plus add on 7 nights hotel cat 1-5.

FlyinHawaiian Jul 15, 2013 4:54 am

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership Announced

Please see the following thread for additional details:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...wardsplus.html

OU812 Jul 15, 2013 5:42 am

Wow! United Premier Golds and higher will be given complimentary Gold Status with Marriott and all the benefits that go along with it! Now I can see why FS Marriotts and Rens will be strictly enforcing the guest+1 policy in the CLs. With the potential numbers of newly minted Golds from the Mileage Plus program, the lounges will be packed. Can't wait to see what impact this will have on lounge offerings.

Also, it will mean more competition for upgrades, which ime have been harder to come by lately anyway.

While its good news for United Premier Golds and higher it is bad news for current Marriott Elites.

Regards,

RIP....

CJKatl Jul 15, 2013 5:48 am

I actually read this in USAToday while eating breakfast in an overcrowded CL a few minutes ago. My immediate thought was how many more people could they crowd into this place?

My second thought, though, was how fortuitous that Marriott teamed up with the large airline with which I don't have any status! So I guess it cuts both ways.

ymcarthur2 Jul 15, 2013 5:55 am

This is very disappointing and unfair---after all the years and money I've spent to get my status.

MSPeconomist Jul 15, 2013 6:15 am

Now maybe Marriott will feel more pressure to treat Plats better than Golds.

sammyindc Jul 15, 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21098726)
Now maybe Marriott will feel more pressure to treat Plats better than Golds.

I hope so.
As a United 1K - I don't get anything out of this.
As a Marriott Plat - I don't get anything out of this.

So this is not something I'm very happy about.

I see more elites which means more people in the lounges, less upgrades.

GenevaFlyer Jul 15, 2013 6:53 am

Well, I get United Premier out of it ... and since I'm Platinum for life, I'm now Premier for life (or until the program gets discontinued).

It could be a useful backup for my Aegean Gold (soon to be earned).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

aaupgrade Jul 15, 2013 6:57 am

Of course Plats can register for UA Silver, which FWIW is UA's lowest tier. It only gets you 1 bag (not important to me) and 25% bonus as all the other benefits are a joke. A more equal relationship would have been to give UA's 1Ks Marriott Silver instead; or to give MR Plats UA mid-tier. MR members are definitely getting the short end of the stick on this relationship.

Marriott is really screwing up their rewards program with this move IMO. Marriott bean counters should be replaced with bean inspectors IMO as they are focusing too much on counting the beans instead of the quality of the beans. Of course when you view lounges as sardine cans, they can fit a lot more people in those lounges. Marriott ideology has been changing over the past few years, and unfortunately this just reinforces our perception of a change from being customer focused to focusing on numbers without other considerations. Short sighted to say the least, but time will tell.

Once again, most of this degradation will be noticed in a big way in domestic concierge lounges. This just reinforces my focus on international travel. I see domestic travel only happening on my annual trek to Colorado in December and return in mid-April. As much as I like nice properties, I find for my domestic travel that I am booking FFI&S and SHS as much as FS properties; of course that also has something to do with small town stays en route.