Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have requalified for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following year, will I need to also reregister my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This years status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places youve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, well automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and youll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news well automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
All members of both programs: Youll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels and Autograph Collection Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Members personal guest room
Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
Priority late check-out, based on availability
Gold Elite customized offers and awards
One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit Uniteds Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

Complimentary access to Economy Plus at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
Premier Access priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
One complimentary checked bag, standard size
7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

If I get United Silver status via RewardPlus (Marriott Plat), what is the requirement to then achieve United Gold?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by seabound
If I get United Silver status via RewardPlus (Marriott Plat), what is the requirement to then achieve United Gold?
there is none. You can't get UA Gold without flying the required amount. (50k PQM miles, $5,000 PQDs)
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold- 3Mar19}

Anyone care to speculate given the leaks, on what/if United elites will continue to get the equivalent of MR Gold benefits (looks like new Platinum level) or will it be downgraded to the useless status that is currently SPG Gold
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Anyone care to speculate given the leaks, on what/if United elites will continue to get the equivalent of MR Gold benefits (looks like new Platinum level) or will it be downgraded to the useless status that is currently SPG Gold
You mean the Plat 75 level. Marriott Golds currently get lounge access. The 'rumor' is that only Plat 75 and above will get lounge access.
lol. speculation, but you really think Gold, Plat, 1K, GS United elites will ALL be given Plat 75 benefits if they really do create 5 tiers? That's just insane. can you imagine how many Plat 75's there will be. I'd put money on the fact that United elites will be downgraded to the useless status that is currently SPG Gold.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The 'rumor' is that only Plat 75 and above will get lounge access.
First I heard of that.. Neither SPG or Marriott have required 75 nights to get lounge access in the past. 25 stays under SPG, or 50 nights for either SPG or Marriott.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The tangible benefits or MR Gold are breakfast, lounge access and late check-out and I guess some bonus points and space-available upgrades.
No matter what the new tier is called, it would be nice to keep those.
However, I suspect, that yes, this UA/Marriott partnership will be reduced to the "benefits" of SPG Gold. ie. none.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For those curious about the speculated Marriott / SPG program changes, see Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:01 pm

I do wonder if after August 1st this program will convert in Platinum as opposed to Gold. Or just continue at Gold with the same earning benefits and lounge access.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/detail...yalty-program/
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JustTravel
I do wonder if after August 1st this program will convert in Platinum as opposed to Gold. Or just continue at Gold with the same earning benefits and lounge access.

According to Schlappig it will convert to Marriott Gold, which would be a huge loss in benefits.

(at least that's what he replied to me in the comment section: https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ogram-details/ )
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustTravel

Originally Posted by delpiero223
According to Schlappig it will convert to Marriott Gold, which would be a huge loss in benefits.

(at least that's what he replied to me in the comment section: https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ogram-details/ )
The old-Marriott to new-Marriott status conversion page indicates old-Gold becomes new-Platinum:
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

Not totally clear to me what that implies for the RewardsPlus program, but as the RewardsPlus-granted Gold seems to be treated Marriott 'organic' Gold, I would be cautiously optimistic that at least for the remainder of the year the status benefits are not degraded.

Bonus might be that now it gives access to Starwood lounges; that feels like it would be generous to the point of being a loophole, but I can't see any indication that it won't work that way.

edit: all of that says nothing about what will happen for RewardsPlus after this year, though

Last edited by fumje; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
edit: all of that says nothing about what will happen for RewardsPlus after this year, though
That's the problem. I guess, me might have to wait some weeks / months before things become official.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by fumje
The old-Marriott to new-Marriott status conversion page indicates old-Gold becomes new-Platinum:
https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

Not totally clear to me what that implies for the RewardsPlus program, but as the RewardsPlus-granted Gold seems to be treated Marriott 'organic' Gold, I would be cautiously optimistic that at least for the remainder of the year the status benefits are not degraded.
My gut feel is that for the remainder of the year all Golds get Plat, and next year (if RewardsPlus even continues; I don't think that's guaranteed) it will just be "new Gold" for RewardsPlus status. Why? Because even the new Luxury Amex card only offers Gold status unless you spend $75k on the card.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
My gut feel is that for the remainder of the year all Golds get Plat, and next year (if RewardsPlus even continues; I don't think that's guaranteed) it will just be "new Gold" for RewardsPlus status. Why? Because even the new Luxury Amex card only offers Gold status unless you spend $75k on the card.
I can't see UA continuing this if they only give UA elites Marriott Gold. UA gives Marriott elites E+, free bags, extra miles, and priority boarding/baggage and all we get is 2pm checkout that will probably never be available and a few extra points. I'd expect at least a carve out special status that grants at least breakfast if not an upgrade to Plat.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Some good news for GS members today in the SPG/Marriott merger announcement. Current Marriott gold members will be upgraded to Platinum members in August. This means free breakfast/lounge access for GS at all SPG properties again ;-).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hoping that the bump from Old Gold -> New Plat will include UA status reciprocity customers otherwise I will have to consider holding some Rewarding Meetings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.