Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Gaslamp (San Diego, CA) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gaslamp (San Diego, CA) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 8:09 am
AMA

Above posts piqued my interest. San Diego has been on my list to visit(for some time now). How's the location of this hotel relative to water/view and 'action' in the Gaslamp district?
Old May 23, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: United 1K; WN A List
Originally Posted by AMA
Above posts piqued my interest. San Diego has been on my list to visit(for some time now). How's the location of this hotel relative to water/view and 'action' in the Gaslamp district?
Just had a leisure stay there last weekend and the hotel and location is fantastic. It is close to all sorts of bars and restaurants. The vibe and views from the their roof top lounge, Altitude, were great. Only about a five minute walk to San Diego Harbor and the Seaport Village shops along Harbor Dr. Best part was that they are across the street from Petco Park (I am a bit of a baseball junkie).

A hotel that I will without a doubt come back and visit.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Stayed there this weekend...very nice,but stay away from room 2109 elevator noise was annoying and rather loud. Rooftop bar was very nice. If your staying at Marriott no cover or no line.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm going to be at this property over this coming weekend; I've stayed here 3-4 times before and it's certainly one of my favorite Marriott properties worldwide.

Is the concierge lounge still closed on the weekends? The rate that I booked includes a $50 hotel credit for food & beverage, but I'd love to be able to use the C Lounge for breakfast and save the $50 for Altitude!
Old May 24, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by jkm024
I'm going to be at this property over this coming weekend; I've stayed here 3-4 times before and it's certainly one of my favorite Marriott properties worldwide.

Is the concierge lounge still closed on the weekends? The rate that I booked includes a $50 hotel credit for food & beverage, but I'd love to be able to use the C Lounge for breakfast and save the $50 for Altitude!

It's was closed this last weekend!
Old May 28, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
It's was closed this last weekend!
Most of my stays there are weekends and the C lounge is always closed from Fri evening to Sun evening.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I've got a nice little 5 night award stay coming up here next week and was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences they'd like to share? I hoping most of the positive feedback from this thread is still valid.

I'm a Gold staying Thur - Tues so I guess the lounge will be closed on the weekends. Anyone get lucky with comped breakfast? I'm also guessing that parking it pretty expensive, since I'll have a car for all 5 days are there any public alternatives to the valet?

Lastly, it appears that Plats are very well taken care of in the area of upgrades, any Golds having luck as well?

thanks in advance
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I've got a nice little 5 night award stay coming up here next week and was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences they'd like to share? I hoping most of the positive feedback from this thread is still valid.

I'm a Gold staying Thur - Tues so I guess the lounge will be closed on the weekends. Anyone get lucky with comped breakfast? I'm also guessing that parking it pretty expensive, since I'll have a car for all 5 days are there any public alternatives to the valet?

Lastly, it appears that Plats are very well taken care of in the area of upgrades, any Golds having luck as well?

thanks in advance
I don't eat breakfast, so I never ask. There is a public parking garage directly across the street that was $14 a day last year, but no in and out. Parking at the hotel was $36 with in and out.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

thanks in advance
Stayed there for a week a couple months ago. Had no problems at all with the hotel, even though I wasn't there all that much (not their fault of course, I was there for a conference). My room wasn't ready when I got there but they worked to get it ready as soon as they could. Took a couple hours, but I was there significantly early (I think around 11am and the room was ready by 1pm or so) so I was quite thankful, especially considering there were a number of people trying to do the same thing as there was a conference starting that day at the conference center.

I really liked the location. Close enough to the conference center that I could get to it easily, but in the Gaslamp so there's plenty of interesting stuff around. I went with the Marriott over the Hilton (or the other Marriott) next to the conference with the theory that I can stand to walk an extra 5 minutes to and from the conference center... but when I'm stumbling back from going out in the Gaslamp, I don't want the extra 5 minutes

Didn't park so don't have an opinion there. Ended up with a junior suite with a sitting area, which was plenty for my needs. Overall, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm a Gold staying Thur - Tues so I guess the lounge will be closed on the weekends. Anyone get lucky with comped breakfast?
I've stayed at this hotel many times over the weekend and never gotten comped breakfast as a Platinum - except for my very last weekend stay there, last Memorial Day weekend, when I was given coupons for two for free breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant was an absolute madhouse and we waited for about 20+ minutes to be seated - my only negative experience at this property ever. The coupon did indicate it was for Platinums only. I describe my experience more in the master thread.

jkm024
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eeeh, I dont' feel the massive love for htis hotel everyone else does. Steyed there a couple of times on weekends with plat husband. No upgrades, no breakfast.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Here now. My girl was told at check in that they'd give us b'fast coupons for the weekend (I'm Gold). On Saturday morning when I went to get them, they said they only provide them to Plats but gave me one anyway. Room is nothing special but nice. Haven't seen the lounge yet but will stop there tonight.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Marriott Gaslamp (San Diego, CA)

Trip Report - Marriott San Diego Gaslamp

Wife and I spend 3 nights recently, at the government rate of $139 per night. This was our second stay at the hotel.

We rented a car at SAN and had lunch with a relative, then drove to the hotel to check in about 2pm.

Valet parking is $38 per day. Sometimes they offer free (included) parking in the AAA rates, according to the front desk. There are several public lots in the neighborhood that are about $17-20 per day, but may not offer in/out for that rate, and check the closure times.

Check in was quick and the agent thanked me for being a plat member, and I took the points. We were upgraded to an exec level floor (21), which is the same floor as the concierge lounge.

The lounge is open during the week, and on the weekends they have a "grab and go" snacks/breakfast in the mornings - donuts and fruit and a couple other items.

The lounge re-opened Sun evening and they have a decent evening and morning offerings, and it is open all day for snacks and drinks.

Our room had a great view to the west, including the ocean and Point Loma. The windows open a bit which is great. Really nice bathroom, and a large safe and a mini-fridge.

There is a great bar on the 22nd floor (outdoor with nice view) and they have happy hour daily (5-7 I think, or maybe 4-6) and all day sunday.

The workout facility of on the 22nd floor also, and they have 4 treadmills and several ellipticals and bikes, as well as free weights and nautilus type machines.

The staff was very helpful and friendly, and there are giant bowls of candy (taffy, tootsie rolls, necco) at the front desk. Valet parking was prompt - I would call from the room, and the car was there within 5 minutes or so of my arrival downstairs.

Did not eat at the hotel - there are tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp district.

Went to a ball game - PETCO stadium is 50 feet from the front door. Ticket office is another 50 feet to the right, on J street.

Zoo is about 10 minute drive - I had not been in 35 years. It is one of the best in the nation. Balboa park is right next to the zoo and well worth exploring.

If you like to run or walk along the water, it is very close to the waterfront also - just go around the convention center, which is a 5 minute walk.

No issues at check out, and a quick 10 minute drive to the rental car return at the airport.

Overall, a great hotel in a great city - will stay there next visit.

Last edited by nachosdelux; May 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm Reason: add hotel name
Old May 27, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The Gaslamp is a great hotel in a great spot. The rooftop lounge (Altitudes) does not have a Happy Hour on Saturday. And the CL is open for a barebones continental breakfast on weekends, then closed the rest of the day. I would have liked to see them keep it open via your key for obtaining water and soda. If the Gaslamp had a pool, it would be perfect!
Old May 27, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
The Gaslamp is a great hotel in a great spot. The rooftop lounge (Altitudes) does not have a Happy Hour on Saturday. And the CL is open for a barebones continental breakfast on weekends, then closed the rest of the day. I would have liked to see them keep it open via your key for obtaining water and soda. If the Gaslamp had a pool, it would be perfect!
^. A pool would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.