Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Springhill Suites - Grand Rapids Michigan Airport 'Mini' Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Due to blizzard hitting southwest Michigan & in particular the town where I live getting hammered with 'lake effect snow' & massive winds, my late night flight was delayed & getting home 35 miles from the airport via taxi through a blizzard was going to be problematic, so I decided to book a room at the airport Springhill Suites for the night & have a friend pick me up the next morning.

This will be a brief trip report, as most SHS's are similar/nothing unusual. But there are a couple of things about this one that I'll mention.

I made the reservation around 9pm eastern time while I was still at ORD waiting for the GRR flight. I mentioned my flight was due to arrive around 11:30pm (which actually became 12:30am), and asked about the airport shuttle. They said the shuttle doesn't run that late - but to call them when I arrived, as they have an arrangement with a taxi company where the taxi company will pick me up/take me to the SHS for free ^ . I think the hotel shuttle runs from 5am-11pm, but not totally sure. Check the hotel website.

When I landed I called them & they said to give it 5 minutes, and then walk to the cab area outside & a cab would be waiting for me. As I exited the airport entrance, there was a stand for the taxis with someone manning it & she asked if I was SkiAdcock & I said yes, and she directed me to the taxi. The SHS is a couple of miles from the airport; took very little time. I tipped the cab driver, as he helped me w/ all the luggage (it was a long trip, so had a lot). There was a bellcart, so I loaded the luggage onto that.

Walked inside & FDC warmly welcomed me, asked if I was SkiAdcock/how was the taxi, and asked if I wanted points or something from the market. I took points. The FDC knew I was tired, and said to leave the ballcart in the hallway outside my room & she'd pick it up later/no need to bring it back down. Very nice of her.

My room was 335, which it turns out is a handicapped-accessible room. I didn't really realize it until the next morning, as I was really tired. I just thought wow - there's a lot of room in this room/really spacious. I was so tired when I got to the room that I thought there was a spa shelf in the tub, but it's actually a seat for someone to sit on & there were also grip bars in the tub & next to the toilet. Paul Mitchell toiletries.

It's the old style SHS room in terms of furnishings. At check-out the FDC mentioned they'll be renovating later this year.

Since I had flown in from London I was tired, and went to bed right away. Given how close to the airport & to the freeway the SHS was, I was pleasantly surprised that it was really quiet/no noise. Even the room fan was quiet, and the black-out curtains were effective.

The SHS is very close to the 28th Street/I-96 exit & behind a Target store. There is a Hampton Inn next door (from the breakfast area I was able to pick up the HI's wifi signal, as well as the SHS's wifi; SHS's is stayonline network). 28th Street has a lot of restaurants/bars, and there's a shopping mall close by.

I woke up in time to go to the free breakfast downstairs, which is probably typical of SHS breakfasts - oatmeal, eggs (scrambled & hard-boiled), sausage, shredded cheese to put on eggs, yogurts, waffles, juices, bread, bagels, etc. The main dining area was actually a pretty good size, and it had nice wall water fountain (which alas is going away w/ the renovation).

The dining area also had a bar, which is open from 5pm-11pm. There's also a terminal/printer set-up in one corner of the dining area, so if someone needs to use the internet or print their boarding passes they're able to do so.

While waiting for my friend to pick me up, I wandered around the ground floor & took a look at the health club (basic) & the pool (pool, hot tub & area w/ multiple tables/chairs). Both the pool & the hot tub had something I hadn't seen at a hotel before, which was a chair/lift device that would allow someone who was elderly or disabled a way to get into the pool/enjoy the water. The FDC said they were a recent installation.

Check-out was easy, and the FDC was quite friendly.

While this was a very short stay it was a good one. I'd recommend this property to others.

Here are pictures:

Springhill Suites Grand Rapids Michigan Airport

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Just an FYI to anyone else who stays there (and is not so tired in the evening), there is an AWESOME blue collar brewery right down the road called Schmohz.

http://schmohz.com/
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I added a link to pics of the property in post # 1.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.