Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St.Thomas Ritz(USVI)/ Scrub Island Resort(BVI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT

I am debating between staying in Scrub Island or Ritz in St.Thomas.
I am planning to stay 3 nights.
Can someone please guide me about the properties comparision?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can you offer some insight into what your interests are?

Here is a good comparison:

St. Thomas Ritz
- Located very close to Red Hook near some great restaurants, beaches, and the ferry over to St. John.
- Ritz has its own private beach
- Staying on St. Thomas offers you the opportunity to explore the whole island and see the main attractions: Megan's Bay, downtown Charlotte Amalie, etc.
- You can easily take a day trip to the BVIs right from the Red Hook ferry dock: about a 5 minute drive from the Ritz

Scrub Island
- The hotel is quite luxurious and offers very nice accommodation
- The island is just that: an island - but an island of small size. The only thing on the island is the hotel.
- If you just want to sit on the beach and drink expensive hotel cocktails and eat overpriced (but good) hotel food all day every day, this is an excellent option.
- There is some great snorkeling right off the island - Diamond Reef is right there - aptly named for a man who lost a diamond engagement ring in the reef.
- You will have to take a ferry/boat to the other islands: Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Tortolla.

Overall, I would choose St. Thomas - more options for food and entertainment. You can always take a ferry or charter a boat to the BVIs.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
BostonFlyer1624 - Thank you for your suggestions. I am already staying in St.John for 5 nights. The other 3 nights i am trying to stay in St.Thomas or Scrub Island.
It is a 8 nights trip to the Virgin Islands area.

What are the other things to do in the area?

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Can you offer some insight into what your interests are?

Here is a good comparison:

St. Thomas Ritz
- Located very close to Red Hook near some great restaurants, beaches, and the ferry over to St. John.
- Ritz has its own private beach
- Staying on St. Thomas offers you the opportunity to explore the whole island and see the main attractions: Megan's Bay, downtown Charlotte Amalie, etc.
- You can easily take a day trip to the BVIs right from the Red Hook ferry dock: about a 5 minute drive from the Ritz

Scrub Island
- The hotel is quite luxurious and offers very nice accommodation
- The island is just that: an island - but an island of small size. The only thing on the island is the hotel.
- If you just want to sit on the beach and drink expensive hotel cocktails and eat overpriced (but good) hotel food all day every day, this is an excellent option.
- There is some great snorkeling right off the island - Diamond Reef is right there - aptly named for a man who lost a diamond engagement ring in the reef.
- You will have to take a ferry/boat to the other islands: Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Tortolla.

Overall, I would choose St. Thomas - more options for food and entertainment. You can always take a ferry or charter a boat to the BVIs.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
What are the other things to do in the area?
In St. Thomas, the options break down into three basic categories, with many options for each:

1. Water Activities: beach, scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing, fishing
2. Shopping: duty-free shopping for alcohol, tobacco, jewelry
3. Entertainment: bars, restaurants, nightclubs

At Scrub Island, you have the options of sitting on the beach and staying at the hotel, or taking a ferry to visit other local islands. You do not get items #2 and #3 from above (other than what is provided at the hotel).

Last edited by BostonFlyer1624; Feb 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
we stayed on scrub 5 nts last spring. only ate on the island 1 nt. there is a free ferry that picks you up at the hotel and takes you to Marina Cay which has a nice restaurant and bar high on the island with live music some nts. we chartered a boat with a captain one day and hit the baths on virgin gorda and snorkeling around norman island and hit some restaurants and bars along the way. You also could just rent the boat if you are comfortable. The accomodations are very nice, we were upgraded to a nice suite using MR points. Staff very friendly. YMMV
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ncgator
we stayed on scrub 5 nts last spring. only ate on the island 1 nt. there is a free ferry that picks you up at the hotel and takes you to Marina Cay which has a nice restaurant and bar high on the island with live music some nts. we chartered a boat with a captain one day and hit the baths on virgin gorda and snorkeling around norman island and hit some restaurants and bars along the way. You also could just rent the boat if you are comfortable. The accomodations are very nice, we were upgraded to a nice suite using MR points. Staff very friendly. YMMV
How often does the free ferry run? How late into the evening? Does it go direct into Road Town?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:12 am

Full disclosure: I work for Scrub Island Resort and am based in Tampa, FL, so yes, I am BIASED!! Here's arrival and ferry information:

We greet each and every guest upon arrival at the Beef Island Airport. We then drive you to Trellis Bay Dock, just a 2 minute drive from the Airport where you will board our private launch to Scrub Island. In order to provide this service seamlessly, it’s important for our staff to know your incoming and departing flight information.

Travel to Scrub Island
Scrub Island is just a 10-minute ride from Tortola's Trellis Bay Dock via our private launch. Scrub Island also has two heliports available to guests.

Ferry Schedule
Scrub Island's private launch departs Trellis Bay Dock at :45 minutes after each hour and departs Scrub Island at :30 minutes after each hour.

Hours of operation:
From Trellis Bay 5:45am to 10:45pm
From Scrub Island 6:30am to 10:30pm

Hope you stay with us at Scrub; we're 52 rooms and suites with 7 amazing oceanview villas. Great on-site dive shop... they offer a really fun Island Hopper Tour, if you'd like to visit the surrounding islands. Happy travels!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mspflyer3
How often does the free ferry run? How late into the evening? Does it go direct into Road Town?
If you asking about the ferry to Marina Cay, it runs when the resort calls them to come pick you up. It is only a short 3-5 minute ride to Marina Cay. If the weather cooperates it is a nice kayak ride over for lunch and snorkeling around their island. One evening we stayed a little late and had to wake the captain up to take us back but no problem. The previous post had the ferry schedule to beef island.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:10 pm

if you decide on scrub island send me a pm and i will forward you the gentleman who was extremely helpful in making our visit very pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.