Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CO-PLAT
Helpful tips:
  • Closest hotel to Kahului Airport (OGG)
  • When coming into town on the main road from the airport, the hotel is on your left, but you cannot turn left into its parking lot. You have to go to the intersection that's immediatly past the hotel and turn left to go around to the other side of the hotel, where you can actually turn to go into the parking lot. (Maui has a lot of parking lots that are like that, where you can only go into them with a right turn and you can only exit them with a right turn.)
  • Next to Costco (stock up )
  • Category 7
  • No resort fee
  • Parking is $12/night but sometimes waived for elites
    Otherwise craz pointed out "I parked it on Kiele St which is all of a 2-3 min walk. Its a small street off Dairy Rd between the Lexus showroon and Tesoro gas station" so surface parking can be found.
  • the CYs shuttle will take you within a 3 mile radius, the local Enterprise is by the Maui Mall a 1 mile distance , check to see if their rates are cheaper then the airports, wish I had known that
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
San Diego beaches don't have sea turtles, and humpback whale songs that are audible underwater at the beach, and the water isn't 80 degrees.
You can drive to the beaches no ? They are not that far away from the CY, are they ?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:11 pm
Suspended

If you have a car, the Courtyard in Maui is just a 10 minute drive to the one I described earlier with the sea turtles, just before you get to the town of Paia, and it´s another 10-15 minutes beyond that to Hookipa once you pass through Paia.

As I said before, the Courtyard is also a good base to head toward either Hana or Haleakala. There´s a bike and tour shop in Paia that organizes bike rides down from Haleakala crater as well. It´s also more convenient to Mama´s Fish House than any of the resort hotels are, if you want to make that your splurge meal for the trip
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikef07
You could certainly put me in the Courtyard for a week in Maui and I would have a great time for the week, but it would be even better at a resort to me. In the end if a resort is $100 more/night I am doing it every time.
No matter what the location?

In other words, IMHO, Courtyard has the better location for all sorts of things to see in the north and east. Obviously, you may not need to see that on every visit, so if you're doing return visits to Maui, I can see why you'd be avoiding the Courtyard, but on a first visit someone might have a different approach to deciding it.

At any rate, if it's a long enough first visit to Maui, as I said, why choose just one or the other? Spend part of the time at the Courtyard for the better location for points north and east, and then spend part of the time at a resort for the the beach location and resort amenities (and perhaps better location for anything you want to see along the western coast). Then you won't be "missing anything", since you'll have both the resort experience and the experiences you can get by driving places from Courtyard's better location (for points north and east).

While I did spent 4 + 1 nights at the Courtyard (the first and last of the those because of late arrival / early departure flights), I also spent (IIRC) 4 nights on the western coast. Now, in my case, only one of those nights was a resort, and others were at non-resort hotels (one near the southern end of the western coast hotels and one toward the northern end). But I didn't consider the Courtyard to be perfect for every night on Maui either. Just fine enough for about half my nights on Maui.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 8, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No matter what the location?

In other words, IMHO, Courtyard has the better location for all sorts of things to see in the north and east. Obviously, you may not need to see that on every visit, so if you're doing return visits to Maui, I can see why you'd be avoiding the Courtyard, but on a first visit someone might have a different approach to deciding it.

At any rate, if it's a long enough first visit to Maui, as I said, why choose just one or the other? Spend part of the time at the Courtyard for the better location for points north and east, and then spend part of the time at a resort for the the beach location and resort amenities (and perhaps better location for anything you want to see along the western coast). Then you won't be "missing anything", since you'll have both the resort experience and the experiences you can get by driving places from Courtyard's better location (for points north and east).

While I did spent 4 + 1 nights at the Courtyard (the first and last of the those because of late arrival / early departure flights), I also spent (IIRC) 4 nights on the western coast. Now, in my case, only one of those nights was a resort, and others were at non-resort hotels (one near the southern end of the western coast hotels and one toward the northern end). But I didn't consider the Courtyard to be perfect for every night on Maui either. Just fine enough for about half my nights on Maui.

For me yeah location matters little on Maui. For example we are going to do the Haleakala bike ride staying at the Fairmont. No doubt the Courtyard is closer, but what the Fairmont provides in experiences will be greater than having to deal with an extra 20-30 minutes in the car. Also 7 days of resort experience is better than 5 days to me. My wife and I will enjoy even a simple drink overlooking the water in the evening which is something we can't do at the Courtyard. We also will eat at some of the better restaurants at the resorts and having them on site is wonderful. Driving 30 minutes in Maui is not like driving 30 minutes in LA (for example). I actually enjoy the drive somewhat in Maui. I'd be the first to admit though 7 days in the Courtyard in Maui is better than no days on Maui so I certainly am not slamming anyone who stays at the Courtyard. I simply have yet to see a disparity in cost (so far) that would make me choose the Courtyard over a resort. We head there this summer which will be 4 nights at Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki, followed by 2 nights at Fairmont Maui and 2 nights at Ritz Kapalua.

I certainly can't disagree that the Courtyard gives easier access to both North and East.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:34 pm
Suspended

As sdsearch said, why not stay in both. When I go to Maui, I NEVER spend more than 5 nights in any one venue, and usually 3 or 4 at most, often at as many as 3 hotels. I invariably stay some time in the area between Kaanapali and Kapalua, and some time in either Wailea or South Kihei, and a couple of nights somewhere like Paia or Hana, and the Courtyard could serve that purpose as well. One not well-known fact to first time Maui visitors is that traffic can be a bear on Maui both through Kihei and Lahaina, as well as the area just west of the airport in Kahului. The Courtyard would bypass all of that for the days when someone would explore Hana, Haleakala, or the area around Paia. As I said, I would never recommend someone spend their entire stay on Maui at that Courtyard, but for 2-3 days, it certainly can serve a functional purpose, especially if it were combined with 3-4 other days in one of the resort areas (or 6-8 other days in two of them). If I were spending 10 days on Maui, with no other constraints, I´d personally do 4 days in Wailea, 4 days in Kaanapali or Kapalua, and 2 days either in Hana or somewhere between that Courtyard and the town of Paia.

And BTW, it´s a heck of a lot more than an extra 20-30 minutes in the car for those trips going from the Fairmont Kea Lani toward either Hana or upcountry. It would be well over an additional hour in the car for each round trip.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
As sdsearch said, why not stay in both. When I go to Maui, I NEVER spend more than 5 nights in any one venue, and usually 3 or 4 at most, often at as many as 3 hotels. I invariably stay some time in the area between Kaanapali and Kapalua, and some time in either Wailea or South Kihei, and a couple of nights somewhere like Paia or Hana, and the Courtyard could serve that purpose as well. One not well-known fact to first time Maui visitors is that traffic can be a bear on Maui both through Kihei and Lahaina, as well as the area just west of the airport in Kahului. The Courtyard would bypass all of that for the days when someone would explore Hana, Haleakala, or the area around Paia. As I said, I would never recommend someone spend their entire stay on Maui at that Courtyard, but for 2-3 days, it certainly can serve a functional purpose, especially if it were combined with 3-4 other days in one of the resort areas (or 6-8 other days in two of them). If I were spending 10 days on Maui, with no other constraints, I´d personally do 4 days in Wailea, 4 days in Kaanapali or Kapalua, and 2 days either in Hana or somewhere between that Courtyard and the town of Paia.

And BTW, it´s a heck of a lot more than an extra 20-30 minutes in the car for those trips going from the Fairmont Kea Lani toward either Hana or upcountry. It would be well over an additional hour in the car for each round trip.
I must drive a lot different than you do. I can make it from the Courtyard to the Fairmont in about 20-30 minutes easily. In fact on Google maps it is about 17 miles. So depending on where I am going to and from it adds about an additional 20 minutes in the car to get to wherever as opposed to staying at the Courtyard. Multiply by 2 drives (for roundtrip) and it is 40-60 minutes. Like I said adding an additional 20-25 minutes per drive in Maui is no big deal to me especially with the upside that a resort brings. If not for you I completely understand. Other than a first night when arriving late or a last night before a flight I simply would never stay in the Courtyard. It provides very little of a part of the Maui experience that I enjoy.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:26 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know if it's possible to get a day rate at this location? I'm staying at a VRBO but have to leave by 11am, and I'm taking a redeye flight at 11pm, and am trying to see if I can figure out a place where I can take a nap or do some work during the afternoon.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:34 pm

see any practical problem with a 10pm OGG arrival and $5 tip to the Courtyard shuttle driver to get off airport for UberX pickup to Wailea?
would just tag along if the shuttle is there for a legit customer.

Last edited by Colin; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:24 pm

reading the wiki i see the comment about free street parking on Kele Street. Is overnight street parking legal in Maui? Is there a risk of a tow? thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Friends don't let friends stay in Courtyards.
I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Maui near the airport just weeks before the pandemic exploded and it has to rank up there
with one of the most disgusting stays of my life
Mind you this is a Courtyard getting up to 400 dollars a night. I kid you not it stunk like a sewer/human waste.
Despite mentioning it to the hotel who had nothing to say @ checkout I also filled out the Marriott survey and they too apparently couldn't care less.
That is what being a Marriott customer is even in the good old success filled days.
It would have to be the last hotel on earth before I rest my head in one of their properties ever again.I knew there was a reason I always went SPG back when or Hyatt
Simply gross.I should have left.Oh well at least we received an upgrade
Its a Courtyard that is in an expensive locale. And it's in a convenient location to access most of the island. I've stayed in this Kahului CY and found it perfectly fine. I often get a larger room on the mauka side with corner views of OGG great for plane watching. Only problem ever noted was having to shoo the many parking lot chickens. I'd stay here again without hesitation.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:10 am

Saw this thread resurrect as we had stayed at this CY in Maui exactly a year ago. We used our free night certs for this stay it was perfectly fine. We split our trip into 2 parts, adventurous and exploring the island (including the road to hana day trip) and just stayed at the CY basically to sleep and then the second part of the trip down at one of the fancy resorts where we didn't do much but just relaxed by the beach/pools.

One other note, the CY is across the street from the Costco which was a huge bonus as we got a lot of our gifts to take home as well there are a lot of local restaurants in the area that we frequented a lot.

Also CYs in Asia are nothing like the ones here in North America. I have stayed in a CY overseas that would rival 5 star hotels here.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Well-maintained property that really looks younger than it's true age. We stayed here last month for the first time in awhile for the first couple of days, before moving on to a progression of hotels farther from the airport. Works especially well in that role, or as a last night before catching a plane. Just don't expect an upgrade or waived parking even if you have kryptonite status.

There is now a food truck lot next door, which certainly adds options. Whether in reaction to that or part of Covid protocol, the hotel now requires you to use a card key all hours for entry--which thwarted my idea of printing boarding passes on the way to the airport. Oh well. Would stay again, but most likley coming or going..
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I need to have some extended stays on the island for work but with opm for hotels (vs other options?). Given my budget this maybe looks reasonable (Hilton doesn’t have anything close on terms of price). Because of work, I won’t be able to do extensive day trips, but some local beach time or places just to walk around would be nice. Don’t know of other options but is the local park walkable?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I need to have some extended stays on the island for work but with opm for hotels (vs other options?). Given my budget this maybe looks reasonable (Hilton doesn’t have anything close on terms of price). Because of work, I won’t be able to do extensive day trips, but some local beach time or places just to walk around would be nice. Don’t know of other options but is the local park walkable?
There is a long parasailing and walking beach "behind the airport". Looks like about 6-8 miles/15 minutes by car. Have to weave around a bit. Paia isn't that far, and also offers a walkable beach and a bit of a walkable old downtown.

Kihei has more beach and more commercial (but it is more of a commercial strip the old beach town. Lahina less walkable beach but more town. Both have more dining choices nearby. Both have some condo units that book as a hotel room (presuming that is what your expense account needs it to be) that I think would be comparable or less. (But if by extended stays you mean a week or so and then repeat several times the cleaning fees might discourage you).

I like this hotel for a first day in or last day leaving stop, or even as a base for driving to Hana or upcountry. But am not sure I would want it indefinitely. (Or maybe it would be great for your first week but make time to look at alternatives).
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mfirst
Traffic is a bear on Maui. Tourists are everywhere (go figure!). Where will you be working, as that should have a significant influence on where you stay. If you're working in Kahului, or have to drive up Haleakala for work each day, the CY would be a great location (I've never stayed in this CY, so I'm not opining as to its quality - just its location). Kanaha Beach Park is right behind the airport, perhaps 5 minutes max from the CY. If you're working in Kihei/Wailea, I'd suggest the Wailea RI (it took me 45 minutes to go from Wailea to the airport last week in the middle of the day). If you're working each day in Lahaina/Kaanapali, the CY would not be a good hotel for you. Lahaina is a slow 45-55 minute drive (or longer, if an accident occurs - we were stopped once for at least an hour due to a rollover accident, and I've seen backups several times at night from my lanai) each way from the CY. If you're working remotely, and don't have to drive anywhere for work, I'd pick the Wailea RI over the Kahului CY any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.