Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
San Diego - Cheep Parking

Spending a week in San Diego.

Got Cheap Airfar
Cheap Car

but looking at booking Hotel with points and can not find a good location where it will not cost me more to park than to rent car.

Any suggestions on either Hotel with cheaper parking or are than any alternatives close to good hotels?

Any change any comp parking for Platinum?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Try Liberty Station, Old Town or Mission Valley. Liberty Station has a ton of free restaurant parking a few steps away from hotel but not sure you can park overnight - if overnight is an issue, park on the street. It is free and with minimal restrictions. Very close to the airport, to Point Loma and downtown.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
The Gaslamp quarter FS Marriott has had some great AAA rates recently which include valet parking.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Maltese Flier
Try Liberty Station, Old Town or Mission Valley. Liberty Station has a ton of free restaurant parking a few steps away from hotel but not sure you can park overnight - if overnight is an issue, park on the street. It is free and with minimal restrictions. Very close to the airport, to Point Loma and downtown.
Liberty Station is probably your best bet. Tons of free parking right at the Courtyard (yes, you can park overnight). Old Town CY has lots of street parking available around it (hotel currently being renovated, but still open). Gaslamp Marriott has a public lot right across the street that's only about $14 a day.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: eleVAte
Courtyard San Diego Central is also a great hotel with free parking. Nothing interesting in walking distance though, but if you have a car that might not be that big of a deal.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
We're going to visit one of the kids next spring in San Diego, and I'm looking to use three or four "cat 4" free night certificates. He lives in Ocean Beach, so the three closest properties are the Courtyard and Fairfield in Old Town, and another Courtyard on Hotel Drive. I'm guessing the Old Town location would be best. Has anyone stayed at the Fairfield? Web page says it is new.

We'll likely be using the hotel as nothing more than a place to sleep. Not likely to have a car. We might have one day on our own if he has to go to work. One concern I have is proximity to the interstate from looking at the map. Is this a concern?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Bringing this thread up again for questions regarding my upcoming vacation. We have never been to San Diego before except a short stay outside the city-boundaries in 2005 and decided this year to actually see the city. We will be staying over the easter weekend (arriving Friday) and then stay into the following week until Wednesday. Our plans so far have a confirmed visit to Legoland and a maybe day visiting both SeaWorld and Anza Borrego State Park. Other than that we are open to suggestions to do and will probably decide on the spot what to do.

So far I have absolutely no idea where to stay, and have not ruled out any area in or around the city. We will have a car on all days, and we travel with our 6yo daughter, so the hotel having a pool is a requirement, getting a suite also would be a plus. So far I have made reservations at the following properties:

- Marriott Marquis Marina
- Marriott La Jolla
- Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernado/Scripps Poway

Any suggestions which would be the best choice given our plans? Also, does any of the Marriott's there have an exceptional Easter Brunch? Any hints on this (also on recommended non-Marriott venues) would be appreciated as well...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My all-time favorite Marriott property is the Marquis. They have a very nice pool and excellent location. I've always received exceptional service. Access to the highway is easy enough to eliminate it as a concern. Room are very well appointed and recently renovated.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothgin you want to do is downtown. LL is 30 miles north, AB state park entrance alone is 75 miles east. SW is 5 miles north. But the Marquis is sitll a decent choice. The good thing is you would be headed out in the mornign and back in the afternoon.

The zoo has a very good Easter brunch that is pricewise comparable to a hotel and you could spend the rest of the day thre.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:21 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up Wild Animal Park & San Diego Zoo!

The San Diego Zoo is one of the highlights of downtown next to Balboa Park, but the Wild Animal Park is even better for an afternoon. It is part of the Zoo organization and North of the city. See more of rural California, where a famous battle was fought at the same time.
Easter weekend might be a slower time on the freeways.
Balboa park would be an interesting slice of San Diego life with many sights and several museums. The highlight would be the 2 PM Ourdoor ORGAN concert in the Park with one of the largest outdoor organs in the world. It is almost a 100 years old and a real treasure kept up to date with 1500 organ pipes, if I recall correctly! Played every Sunday - rain or shine! It was built for the 1915 World's Fair!

I live a block away from the La Jolla Marriott and used to stay there before moving to San Diego. Pretty low key business hotel unlike the busy convention Marriott in the Marina. I prefer coastal locations for vacationing and regenerating.

Last edited by R&R; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Originally Posted by ual1k
San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina is one of my all-time favorite Marriotts. I have also read a lot of good things about the Marriott Gaslamp which is just across the street from the Marquis. Had some great upgrades here as a Platinum. Both Marquis and Gaslamp are close to Petco park in case the Padres are in town and you are a baseball fan.
Have you ever found a lower rate for this than on Marriott's website? I'm looking for May 16th (Weds) as I arrive for my cousins wedding, but so far the best price I've found is $215, directly from Marriott's website. I'm on a Platinum challenge, otherwise I've found some other great hotels at a better price, but the Marriott Marquis and Marina looks like the best Marriott hotel in the area.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ual1k
San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina is one of my all-time favorite Marriotts.
Agreed. Both the property is great (location, view, grounds, amenities) and the staff is top-notch. There were some unfriendly guests (including one complaining that there were no strawberries in the lounge a 1/2 hour after breakfast was over) and the staff was always professional.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Anyone stay at Residence Inn La Jolla or Towne Place Suites Vista. Looking at either place for short San Diego stay with the toddlers and wife. Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Anyone stay at Residence Inn La Jolla or Towne Place Suites Vista. Looking at either place for short San Diego stay with the toddlers and wife. Thanks
The La Jolla RI is a nice little property. Easy access from I-5. Decent restaurants within 10 minutes. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's right around the corner.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:39 pm

San Diego Marriott marquis marina or Marriott Coronado

My family is heading to San diego (3 boys) at the end of August and i would like to use my points and spend our last night at a Marriott (would like to be fairly close to airport). I'm deciding between the two mentioned above because they seem to be in great locations and have a nice pool. I could also use my certificate for a free night at a cat. 4 and stay at courtyard San Diego central and save my points. We are staying at nice hotels for the seven nights before so don't know if we should just stay at the courtyard if it isn't that bad and free! Thanks for some advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.