Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:27 pm

I recently stayed at the La Jolla Marriott for two nights. Nice place. Used the LPR to get 99.00 rate with free self/park. Not an elite so I didn't see the lounge (if they have one) and no upgrade. Had a balcony and comfy room. Points posted fast.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Nov 20, 2003, 6:01 pm

Last time I stayed at the La Jolla Marriott, I was upgraded to a HUGE corner suite with a balcony - a very nice room. Both the La Jolla and Mission Valley properties are nice; definitely above average, but not comparable to the marina. I have not stayed at the Del Mar

Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:31 pm

Don't know how much you want to spend, but my preference would be Coronado Island Marriott.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ual1k:
Don't know how much you want to spend, but my preference would be Coronado Island Marriott.</font>
I'm here now. Very nice bayview room with king bed for $169 (EEO) including free self park and fantastic breakfast buffet for two.

Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:12 pm

Stayed last year @ Coronado and was NOT impressed.....property is showing it's age and needs an upgrade/renovation. Breakfast buffet was awesome and included in a "family package" rate of around $169.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
A little history lesson is in order, in order to make an educated decision:

- The Marina Marriott was built as an InterContinental. The facilities are arguably SUPERIOR to many, if not most, Marriott properties. The location alone is noteworthy. So, by design, this property is far superior to other "typical/traditional" Marriott products.

- Mission Valley, OTOH, was built in the late 1980's, with the intention to be operated by Interstate Hotels (at the time, one of the few Marriott franchisors). Similar to most other Interstate hotels, this one is "no frills" by comparison. At 350 rooms, there is only one or two large suites (what used to be the club lounge has long since been converted into a suite as well). The pool is OK, as is the restaurant & bar, but that's about it. What was the "high energy lounge", is now a banquet room. This hotel is markedly similar, in design, to the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott, the Memphis Marriott, Boca Raton-Crocker Center, etc.

In those days, the area was desolate. However, the area has grown up around the hotel (and it now has it's own light rail stop, and is walkable to a LOT of shopping). Since it's building, the property has not done terribly well, as the debt service was enormous. In approx. 1999, Interstate lost the property to Marriott, as part of the "merger" into Patriot-American/Wyndham. (FWIW, I was on the "opening team" of this property in the late 80's, and returned to work there again in the late 1990's).
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:24 am

And, your point is?
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:49 pm

Stayed at the Del Mar Marriott about a year ago - not too long after it had just opened. It's a good property but definitely nothing amazing. It's got a so-so pool. Location is fairly good.

One suggestion: if you are using points or need to book something cheap, I highly suggest the Solana Beach Courtyard. I used to live in this part of SD and there's actually a lot to do. There's a GREAT beach nearby (Del Mar), the village of Del Mar has terrific restaurants, and there's another fun little area right in Solana Beach (think it's called Cedros Design Distric). Anyway, it's all right there and as a Courtyard it's cheap.
However, just realized that you're going in the winter so it may be a little chilly right now.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
1 nite in San Diego, which Marriott property?

We need a hotel for only one night in San Diego and cannot decide which Marriott property to book with rewards. The Marriott downtown is not available for the night we need. Any suggestions? What about Coranodo?
Thanks !!

Last edited by tatmtr7; Jun 7, 2004 at 5:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tatmtr7
We need a hotel for only one night in San Diego and cannot decide which Marriott property to book with rewards. The Marriott downtown is not available for the night we need. Any suggestions? What about Coranodo?
Thanks !!
Coronado Island is terrific
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itsa 20 min away but the Marriott Del Mal is a fantastic newer properity with a real honest executive floor with operating lounge too. Its far plushier than any of the downtown properities. Far less noiser tots too.

MisterNice
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
i would second the vote for the Del Mar property.
and advise you to stay away from the Mission Valley property.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Thanks !!

If you're okay with a Courtyard, I'd recommend the CY San Diego Airport / Old Town. It's a really unique + classy CY, completely renovated and is 2 blocks from Old Town with some good, solid restaurant choices. You're also a 5 minute drive from the Airport, and just a bit farther from downtown. I've stayed there twice in the past few months and each experience was excellent.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott PP...Southwest A+ CP
The Coronado Property is nice, the Island is the best place in the world to live (I live 2 blocks from the property), but the set up is more for a few nights...maybe even with a family.

The Del Mar Property is very nice...

The downtown is the best, but if not available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.