Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Singapore - Sentosa Cove [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of July 2023, the Elite happy hour benefit is a single drink voucher from a limited menu (Margarita, Tequila Sunrise, and one other drink I can't remember).
Print Wikipost

W Singapore - Sentosa Cove [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
NOW OPEN: W Singapore - Sentosa Cove [Master Thread]

Had a 2 night stay this week, and can echo the breakfast experience. Lots of staff around, but impossible to see sense or coordination in their running around. Gave up on coffee and hot dish on one day.

I was given a Fabulous room (pool view and balcony) despite marvelous suites showing available. However, I had requested and was granted a very early check-in, so was grateful for the overall deal.

Staff very friendly, hardware nice, good spa. I had a serious issue (my room door was open when I returned from the day in the city, somebody had left a greeting card and chocolate but did not close the door properly), however it was recovered appropriately (apology card and more chocolate).

The location is remote but does provide a holiday feeling as opposed to a city hotel. I took the hotel shuttle to the subway which worked well.

I had dinner twice, at Skirt (good) and Kitchen Table (less good).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Has anyone stayed at this property recently? Have some of the service issues highlighted in previous posts been rectified?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Has anyone stayed at this property recently? Have some of the service issues highlighted in previous posts been rectified?

Thanks!
I would think the service has improved but still not too consistent.

I had 3 stays over the last few months.

As a new plat in July, they gave me a Marvelous suite from the most basic Wonderful room, which was a great great surprise considering I had lots of complaints as a Gold 2 months before.

Sadly, I had booked a Marvelous suite for my birthday hosting several guests and was given a bump to the next category of Fantastic suite, which comes with a plunge pool but is smaller than a marvelous suite. Not too great... And the hotel did know it was my birthday celebration. I did get a small little cake which wasn't much to go around.
Well, expectation is the mother of disappointment and so I was fine until checkout when I went to the spa for my massage and was told off by the therapist for being late (by less than 10mins as we were at the front desk) and he seemed so impatient that I walked off unhappy on my actual birthday.

Overall, I do seem to see some improvement and didn't have most of the problems mentioned earlier in the thread, but there's still tons of room for improvement.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by SgFred
I would think the service has improved but still not too consistent.

I had 3 stays over the last few months.

As a new plat in July, they gave me a Marvelous suite from the most basic Wonderful room, which was a great great surprise considering I had lots of complaints as a Gold 2 months before.

Sadly, I had booked a Marvelous suite for my birthday hosting several guests and was given a bump to the next category of Fantastic suite, which comes with a plunge pool but is smaller than a marvelous suite. Not too great... And the hotel did know it was my birthday celebration. I did get a small little cake which wasn't much to go around.
Well, expectation is the mother of disappointment and so I was fine until checkout when I went to the spa for my massage and was told off by the therapist for being late (by less than 10mins as we were at the front desk) and he seemed so impatient that I walked off unhappy on my actual birthday.

Overall, I do seem to see some improvement and didn't have most of the problems mentioned earlier in the thread, but there's still tons of room for improvement.
Wow, what an unpleasant experience at the spa.....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wow, what an unpleasant experience at the spa.....
Indeed it was. Imagine rushing to the spa and then being scolded and the therapist kept nagging about 'hurrying up', 'move faster' when the spa is a place for relaxation!

Oh well, rather not dwell on that.

Hope my next stay would be better.

And looking at the new Westin!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SgFred
Indeed it was. Imagine rushing to the spa and then being scolded and the therapist kept nagging about 'hurrying up', 'move faster' when the spa is a place for relaxation!

Oh well, rather not dwell on that.

Hope my next stay would be better.

And looking at the new Westin!
Wow.... never knew that paying for spas at such an exorbitant price can get accompanied by a scolding... usually the therapists will keep quiet but will decrease the length of the session sometimes when they are fully booked to offset the delay in us being late.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Had a 2-night weekend stay at this property recently, and was fairly satisfied.

Used SNAs to increase the odds of getting an upgrade on what I assumed might be a busy weekend, and received confirmation for a Marvelous suite five days out. ^ Arrived at about 9am, and was told they had pre-upgraded me further to a Fantastic suite ^, which however was still occupied, so instead of waiting around, I was happy to take the “downgrade” to an immediately available Marvelous suite.

Was assigned a x48 suite, which is large and well-appointed, not overly flashy by W standards, with a large wrap-around balcony (with lounger) and a very nice bathroom. Great view of the harbor from bedroom and bathroom, view of a wall from the living room. Unfortunately, there’s not much privacy, as due to the location of the suite (in a protrusion from the building), a dozen rooms have a direct view from their balconies to the x48 balcony and bedroom. Plus, if you’re on a low floor, you have to worry about people on the walkway and boats. So if you want privacy, you pretty much have to keep the shades closed all day long, which is a shame.

Full breakfast was offered as a Plat amenity choice (in lieu of the 500 points), and was pretty satisfying, although the chaos described in earlier posts still persists (they can't get tea delivered, but have people roaming the room pushing waffles). In terms of selection and quality, this is a nice breakfast, almost on par with the Ws in HK and Taipei. Had room service lunch one day (very poor), and no additional experience with dining at W.

I will admit that the hotel was nothing like I expected. I’ve been to Singapore dozens of times, but only stayed on Sentosa once, at the Amara Sanctuary Resort, which felt like a relaxing retreat from the city, with tranquil seaviews, lots of greenery, etc. I imagined the W to be similar to that, rather quaint and secluded, but that’s not the case. It’s part of a luxury housing development, adjacent to a yacht harbor and probably a dozen or so restaurants and small stores. Doesn’t feel like a resort at all, and there’s no sense that you’re getting away from it all. In fact, I'd have to describe the W more as a poorly located city hotel (think LM Cyberport or W Walkerhill) than a great place for a getaway. This isn’t necessarily a strike against the hotel, just not at all what I expected.

The location, IMO, has major drawbacks. There’s no public transportation, and nothing is convenient to reach, which makes this hotel an extremely poor choice for anything but staying put. And there’s not much motivation to do that: The pool is rather unexciting and crowded, the landscaping is uninspired, and there are limited activities.

Taxis are extremely hard to come by, usually requiring a phone order, which makes the price jump to (by Singapore standards) outrageous amounts – we paid S$20 to Marina Bay Sands and S$44 to the airport (without waiting or ERP charges). Add to that the wait – even if you order by phone, usually no cabs are nearby.

Would I return to, or recommend this property? If you’re talking SPG only, it’s clearly preferable to the Sheraton, and for the below-40 crowd, probably a better hotel the St Regis with its stingy upgrade policies. But the location is poor for tourists who want to explore the city, and impossible for work. It’s a shame, really, as it’s one of my favorite W suites, but I can’t imagine I’ll be rushing back, and there are very limited circumstances which would cause me to recommend staying here.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by jpdx
Full breakfast was offered as a Plat amenity choice (in lieu of the 500 points), and was pretty satisfying, although the chaos described in earlier posts still persists (they can't get tea delivered, but have people roaming the room pushing waffles).
Disappointing to hear they still haven't managed to up their game nearly a year after opening. Heads should roll in the Kitchen.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:32 am

My thoughts on the W Singapore - Sentosa Cove after a recent stay:

Positives
- Upgraded two levels to Fabulous from Wonderful
- Offered drink at Woobar while waiting for room to be ready
- Whatever/Whenever was quick to pick up, spoke good English and was generally efficient
- Had ample food options outside the hotel at Quayside Isle, which made up for its remote location (this isn't really thanks to the hotel; it's more of a redeeming factor)

Negatives
- Late check out at 4 pm not granted, got only 2 pm
- Front desk staff don't wear name badges
- Cabinets for users of gym/spa/steamroom/sauna can't be locked
- Air in steamroom was choking to inhale, due probably to overdose of peppermint salt infusion
- DVD library doesn't feature at all as a service in the room amenities guide, though fortunately Whatever/Whenever knew what I was talking about when I called to ask. The list was delivered on a photocopied A4 sheet of paper (suggesting it's not a service they plan on advertising widely to guests), and wasn't as comprehensive as the one that W HK has
- Curtains can't be controlled remotely
- Bathroom has speakers connected to the living room TV, but I'm not sure what for since there's no TV in the bathroom itself
- iPhone dock in room not compatible with iPhone 5 (cf W HK, which was recently upgraded to suit the iPhone 5, and is backward compatible)
- No turn down service
- No newspapers at door in the morning

Breakfast at the Kitchen Table was dissatisfactory. Food options were not wide enough and the layout created queues and bottlenecks at the wrong places, and made accessibility a problem. Food taste and quality weren't great, and you could see them trying to scrimp by using cheap alternatives where possible. Juices were not fresh but the processed kind (probably Marigold).

Overall, the hotel doesn't exude the sense of luxury one would expect of a five star resort, mainly due to some areas where it showed that hardware savings were being made, and inconsistent service standards. For example, after using the pool, I was told to return my towel. When I said I'd drop it off at the pool shower, I was told there were other towels there. It wasn't so much out of concern that I'd be deprived of a fresh towel, but that I was bringing a white pool towel into the shower (where they used yellow towels) that prompted that order.

At W HK, no one tried to control my movements or actions for their own convenience. I was able to bring the pool towel back to the room and could leave the housekeeping mechanism to figure out which towels belonged where after being laundered.

This last point is purely a matter of personal preference, but I didn't find the purple lights + wooden laminate theme used in the decor particularly appealing or soothing.

Last edited by roverkt; Sep 4, 2013 at 10:46 am
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by roverkt
My thoughts on the W Singapore - Sentosa Cove after a recent stay:

Positives
- Upgraded two levels to Fabulous from Wonderful
- Offered drink at Woobar while waiting for room to be ready
- Whatever/Whenever was quick to pick up, spoke good English and was generally efficient
- Had ample food options outside the hotel at Quayside Isle, which made up for its remote location (this isn't really thanks to the hotel; it's more of a redeeming factor)

Negatives
- Late check out at 4 pm not granted, got only 2 pm
- Front desk staff don't wear name badges
- Cabinets for users of gym/spa/steamroom/sauna can't be locked
- Air in steamroom was choking to inhale, due probably to overdose of peppermint salt infusion
- DVD library doesn't feature at all as a service in the room amenities guide, though fortunately Whatever/Whenever knew what I was talking about when I called to ask. The list was delivered on a photocopied A4 sheet of paper (suggesting it's not a service they plan on advertising widely to guests), and wasn't as comprehensive as the one that W HK has
- Curtains can't be controlled remotely
- Bathroom has speakers connected to the living room TV, but I'm not sure what for since there's no TV in the bathroom itself
- iPhone dock in room not compatible with iPhone 5 (cf W HK, which was recently upgraded to suit the iPhone 5, and is backward compatible)
- No turn down service
- No newspapers at door in the morning

Breakfast at the Kitchen Table was dissatisfactory. Food options were not wide enough and the layout created queues and bottlenecks at the wrong places, and made accessibility a problem. Food taste and quality weren't great, and you could see them trying to scrimp by using cheap alternatives where possible. Juices were not fresh but the processed kind (probably Marigold).

Overall, the hotel doesn't exude the sense of luxury one would expect of a five star resort, mainly due to some areas where it showed that hardware savings were being made, and inconsistent service standards. For example, after using the pool, I was told to return my towel. When I said I'd drop it off at the pool shower, I was told there were other towels there. It wasn't so much out of concern that I'd be deprived of a fresh towel, but that I was bringing a white pool towel into the shower (where they used yellow towels) that prompted that order.

At W HK, no one tried to control my movements or actions for their own convenience. I was able to bring the pool towel back to the room and could leave the housekeeping mechanism to figure out which towels belonged where after being laundered.

This last point is purely a matter of personal preference, but I didn't find the purple lights + wooden laminate theme used in the decor particularly appealing or soothing.
How come late check-out is only 2pm now? It is listed under the exempt list now?

I am concerned that service is still so weak after 1 year, and that is one of the reasons holding me back for a re-visit. St Regis Singapore, while not having fantastic reviews for service, does seem to fare better, and is still at better rates than W Singapore, better location, and still 4pm.

Any idea if there is direct shuttle service to and fro Resort World Sentosa now from W Singapore?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
How come late check-out is only 2pm now? It is listed under the exempt list now?
Maybe cause it's categorized as a resort hence late check-out is not guaranteed? I remember speaking to a manager in W Taipei last year and he says this property is a Resort.

Saw this on the website that's interesting, guess the purpose was to standardize the room naming convention.

Effective from June 2013. WOW Suite is renamed as Fantastic Suite. Fabulous WOW Suite is renamed as WOW Suite.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I just cleared into a Marvelous Suite on an SNA 5 days in advance. Looking forward to our stay next week.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld

I am concerned that service is still so weak after 1 year, and that is one of the reasons holding me back for a re-visit. St Regis Singapore, while not having fantastic reviews for service, does seem to fare better, and is still at better rates than W Singapore, better location, and still 4pm.

Any idea if there is direct shuttle service to and fro Resort World Sentosa now from W Singapore?
Yes I believe it's a resort and hence there's no guarantee of a 4pm check out. The FD associate emphasized to me it was "subject to availability."

They do have a shuttle bus service but I can't comment cos I didn't use it:
http://www.wsingaporesentosacove.com/shuttlebus
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:36 am

Scored a stay in the WOW Suite - sharing some pictures

Apologies for the hideous garish colours; playing around with HDR settings and obviously still much to learn

Some background regarding suites here, they have the following:
. Marvelous Suite
. Fantastic Suite (used to be called WOW Suite, basically a Marv Suite with plunge pool)
. WOW Suite (used to be called Fabulous WOW Suite)
. E-WOW Suite
. AWAY WOW Suite

The WOW Suite has a huge living room area, with a large 8 seater dining table and designer bar counter, as well as large sofa. It has only one bedroom, but then again none of the suites here have two bedrooms, not even the E-WOW. The bedroom is pretty much similar to the Marvelous Suite. The bathroom is larger but I actually prefer the free-standing bathtub in the Marv Suite, as well as the harbour views if you get a Marv Suite in a corner. The balcony houses a plunge pool which stretches from the bedroom (which has access as well) to the middle of the living room. The final corner of the balcony has a cane love seat thing and a two armchairs.

When he got there, the cupboard was bare... those drinks and snacks outside the minibar were brought by myself :P

Small TV for BIIIIIG room...

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Sep 24, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Scored a stay in the WOW Suite - sharing some pictures

Apologies for the hideous garish colours; playing around with HDR settings and obviously still much to learn

Some background regarding suites here, they have the following:
. Marvelous Suite
. Fantastic Suite (used to be called WOW Suite, basically a Marv Suite with plunge pool)
. WOW Suite (used to be called Fabulous WOW Suite)
. E-WOW Suite
. AWAY WOW Suite

The WOW Suite has a huge living room area, with a large 8 seater dining table and designer bar counter, as well as large sofa. It has only one bedroom, but then again none of the suites here have two bedrooms, not even the E-WOW. The bedroom is pretty much similar to the Marvelous Suite. The bathroom is larger but I actually prefer the free-standing bathtub in the Marv Suite, as well as the harbour views if you get a Marv Suite in a corner.
Great photos!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.