Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Brussels, Belgium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Brussels, Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
I go to Brussels at least once a month. I normally stay at one of the Hiltons, but I have stayed at the Marriott a few times before, too. Never at the Renaissance though I am very familiar with its location etc.

As a tourist you should stay at the Marriott. You will really appreciate being at the heart of, well, everything a tourist needs and walking or short metro distance from everything else. Plus it's a very nice hotel, too. Only minus points are that it's just above the McDonalds and also in an area that gets quite busy 24hrs a day.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
i recommend the Ren

I just stayed there at the beginning of November. I was very happy with the property. Even though I am merely a silver I got an upgraded room and access to the club level without asking.
It is a nuisance to get to from the train because of construction around the EU. And don't go out the wrong side of the Luxembourg station. The rent-a-cops and real cops had no idea where the Ren is located. But it is on the 95/96 bus line which is about 15 minutes from the Bourse or a nice 30 minute walk. Also the express bus to the airport stops just 2 blocks away also.

S
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Also having stayed at both, I'd vote for the Marriott. Steps from the Grand Place and the city centre--how can you go wrong? While the Ren is nice, it was a six block walk to Metro, IIRC, and out of the downtown core.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Courtyard Brussels

I am planning on staying at the Courtyard Brussels next week and was wondering what it is like, compared to regular US Courtyards. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel. Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Renaissance Brussels Lounge?

Any recent experience? Is it worth 20$ extra IYHO?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I was there in November 2005. I was upgraded to club level for free. (European Marriotts are much more generous to silver members The breakfast was nice. The standard fruit, cereal, breakfast breads. The evening happy hour appeared to offer free alcohol, unlike the US lounges, in addition to the hot food and cheese/vegetable selection and later desserts. The desserts were cookies, nothing special. On the weekend mornings, the lounge does not offer breakfast. The hot/cold buffet downstairs while crowded with the tours busses was a bit better in my preference. I was not in the hotel during the mid-day so I cannot comment on the daytime offerings.
I do not know what the club level rooms are like but I did get a King corner room on floor 3. That was the 2nd biggest room I have ever had in Europe. If the club rooms have the same amenities you will enjoy it. Large bathtub and shower. Room for 2 people to stand in the bathroom at the same time. Closet space, foyer (this was not a suite, I think), desk space, sitting area.
In my mind is it worth $20 (US) if you are not alone and during the week. I'm not sure if you would get the buffet on the weekend or not. If the price is 20 Euro after converting to Dollars, I would say no.
S
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MR-PP, *wood Gold, Hertz Gold
I stayed there a couple of years. Actually I stayed in the Marriott Apartments that are connected to the REN. For about the same price, we got a nice two bedroom apartment (we were traveling with another couple) with a full kitchen, two baths, living room, and a small courtyard.

We were given all access to the club at the REN, and as cayenne92 mentioned, European properties treat you much better than US Marriotts.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Thanks for info! Took the room without lounge access, let's see if I get upgraded as a silver - will report back.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:25 pm

No big deal

Originally Posted by slowly
Thanks for info! Took the room without lounge access, let's see if I get upgraded as a silver - will report back.

The lounge is on the first floor. Nothing fancy. I was there about 3 weeks ago. Some dishes but that is it. No expectacular views.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
"Service" at Renaissance Brussels

(Long time flyertalk reader; it's a pity my first post is quite negative...)

Just sent the following email to Marriott customer support:

"Renaissance Brussels provided me with a coupon for two drinks on the weekend days (as the lounge is closed) during my stay there, which is very kind of them.

When I tried to use it at the Intermezzo bar (the coupon said it is for "wine, soft or beer"), I ordered a beer, informing the waiter that I'll use the coupon. He asked if I'd like to have the small or big one. I chose the big. He brought it to me, and after that presented the bill, saying that big beer is not entitled for coupon, only small ones. The coupon did say nothing about the size, but OK, I didn't come to argue but to enjoy an evening drink, so said he can consider the big one as two smalls (the volume adds up exactly).

After that he brought the bar supervisor, who said it can't be done, as he won't be able to explain that to the management...

I said OK, you can bring two small ones instead of the big if that's a problem. He did that, but then insisted I still pay for the big one, which I declined (by just saying "No").

THEN he did something that left me completely baffled. He said "No? OK then!" and removed not only the big beer, but two small ones too, threw the coupon back on the table and said "Have a nice weekend." As you can understand, I felt as insulted as surprised, and had no choice other than to leave the bar. I did ask for his business card though. His name is <actual name quoted to Marriott>.

Just for the record, I didn't even touch any of the beers. I was 100% sober when I entered the bar (and left in the same condition, although it was not my intention). Didn't behave disrespectfully. Made every attempt to accept staff's desire to stick to the rules. Still the hostility left me speechless; I haven't experienced such an attitude ever! The next day, when I entered the bar, the same supervisor tried to make fun asking if I'd like to have 2 small beers again..."

What surprises me most is lack of any reason for such an insulting behavior... Yes, I didn't wear a suit like others in the bar (mostly eurocrats), but that's the only difference I can imagine. Or maybe in his mind coupon = no tip = no need to bother? (Not that these are valid reasons anyway.) Have you experienced service like that in Brussels? What would you do in such a situation?...
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Try the Marriott Brussels next time... I've had wonderful service there-- perhaps the best of any Marriott-branded property anywhere.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Try the Marriott Brussels next time... I've had wonderful service there-- perhaps the best of any Marriott-branded property anywhere.
Agree.

Not to judge or play the hindsight game but I would've asked the waiter which size the coupon was applicable for when you were asked if you wanted larger or small beer or asked if the coupon applied to both sizes. However, it isn't too much to expect the waiter could've told you that information when you mentioned you had a coupon and so in that respect I would agree the customer service was lacking. Chalk it up to just one of those travel things that happens unfortunately.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Agree. Very pleasant stay at the Marriott Brussels.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Very curious I stayed last month at that hotel on an award stay. I found the staff to be very friendly both at the front desk, the lounge, and the restaurant.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We just got back from Brussels yesterday after Award stays at both the Marriott and the Renaissance.

While we didn't deal with the bar, in many ways I liked the Renaissance better. I know there's a lot of turnover in hotel staff, but the people at the front desk during our stay were wonderful. There were usually 3 of them and as soon as they saw you approaching they looked up and smiled expectantly. I actually got the feeling that they were happy to help- I don't encounter that in many places. We also got the full breakfast buffet every morning as part of the package at the Renaissance, but not at the Marriott. The 2 advantages for us at the Marriott were proximity to the Grand'Place and being able to tap into the Wi-Fi in McDonald's on the ground floor, which was 10 Euros for 2 hours instead of for 1 hour in the hotel system.

We loved Brussels and definitely plan to return- for the point difference. I think I'd take the Renaissance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.