Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2002, 5:37 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
Bravo:

Thanks for that detailed review.

Based on your observations of the room, I think we will stay at the Frenchman's Reef again - as I was very happy with the rooms there AND since it is set apart from everything else - you feel safe on the grounds!

Thanks again!
Old Feb 7, 2002, 5:53 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I must say yourexperience of the people and the culture of the Virgin Islands is very much different than mine. I found people everywhere very helpful. My family and I never felt "threatened" and never experienced an attempt to lift our wallets. We enjoyed going to a local church on Sunday morning, where the congregation shared stories from their 300+ year history.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 6:07 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Phil:
I must say yourexperience of the people and the culture of the Virgin Islands is very much different than mine. I found people everywhere very helpful. My family and I never felt "threatened" and never experienced an attempt to lift our wallets. We enjoyed going to a local church on Sunday morning, where the congregation shared stories from their 300+ year history.</font>
Phil - Yes, people are helpful. However, even the tourist guides (and we all know those are all PR) warn people not to go around Charlotte Amalie at night and to be on the lookout.

As beautiful as it is, unfortunately St. Thomas has one of the highest crime rates in the Caribbean.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 2:33 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Just returned from five nights at the Renaissance. Hillside room was fine @ $80./night thru Priceline. Very little time spent at this resort. Water looked very nice.

Typically, I do 2/3 trips a year to STT just to eat at Craig & Sallys in Frenchtown. Lots of safe places to eat/drink around Red Hook.

Alot of folks hang out at a resort and fear for their life if they step foot outside the compound. I ain't one of them.

October is not the time to be in the Red Hook area, if you're looking for nice weather.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Delta Platnium
St Thomas

Has anyone stayed at the St Thomas Marriott? Which is a better place to stay? The Frenchmans Reef or Morning star side of the Marriott, or the Renissance?

I am looking into going on a rewards stay in July some time. Is one better than either of the others? Is it closer to the nightlife / bars secene?

How about trips to St John? Which is better located for that?

Also, do you need to rent a car on the USVI, or can you get by on Taxis?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2002, 6:23 pm

Also, What is the possibility of upgrades for a MR Plat member?
Old Mar 3, 2002, 6:41 pm

Do a search on St. Thomas in the Marriott forum...there are tons of threads on this.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Marriott is closer to Charlotte Amalie; Renaissance is closer to Red Hook (and therefore closer to the shorter ferry-ride to St. John. Here is a recent thread on the Renaissance:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001363.html .

There isn't really a bar scene, other than possibly in Red Hook. CA shuts down at 5 o'clock. Taxis are fine for 2 or less people, otherwise are expensive. A car is nice to explore the island. Daytrip to St. John is a must; several rental agencies allow their cars to go across on the car ferry from Red Hook.

If you have a lot of points to burn, definitely consider the Ritz Carlton. It is far and away the best hotel/resort on the island.

You may find some other helpful info in my trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002163.html

[This message has been edited by cactuspete (edited 03-03-2002).]
Old Mar 3, 2002, 9:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Frenchman's Reef is a beautiful property. Has a nice (private) beach. The grounds are lovely. The hotel is wonderful.

Don't know about the other properties.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 2:41 pm

I echo the others. Renissance is on the far end of the island away from Charlotte Amelia down near the Red Hook Ferry to St. John. Car would be a must to go anywhere and a long drive to get into CA for dinner. Frenchmen's Reef is a large property which dominates the harbor entrance. Morningstar Beach is sort of part of Frenchmen's reef but it is smaller and more intimate area. Morningstar rooms are right on the beach where as Frenchmen's reef requires you to take a elevator or a shuttle down to the beach area. Morningstar is the better choice IMHO
Old Mar 4, 2002, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Also check the archived posts, where there is a bunch of good info, including:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000480.html
Old Mar 4, 2002, 9:07 pm

First off I live on the beautiful island of St. Thomas and my first choice would be staying at the Morningstar. It's ight on the beach. Sometimes the waves make it a smaller beach that what it could be and in July the capacity shouldn't be that big to make it too crowded. Second choice would be the Renaissance. Beautiful grounds, 2 pools. Get a poolside room if you can. It's also closer to Red Hook where most of the nightlife is on the weekends (Duffy's Love Shack, Caribbean Saloon, etc.) With the exception of the Green House on Tues. night. It's located in Charlotte Amalie. The Ren also close to the St. John Ferry. (St. John is a definite day trip.) Taxis can get expensive and since there are a lot of things to do on the island it tends to add up. The flip-side to this is renting a car ($50 a day) and driving on the lefthand side of the road with a steering wheel also on the left (just like the States.) The hardest part is turning into traffic. But it looks like you are into the nightlife, that involves drinking and I've seen a couple of ugly incidents that I care not to mention.
Frenchman's Reef is just a big pink building about five stories high with not as much to offer for a Caribbean vacation. It would be my last choice.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 5:23 pm

I have another question.. I just called and tried to get a reservation. They told me that there were no rooms available at the Morningstar, and than I would get a resort view at Frenchmans. She said I could upgrade to a water view for 5,000 points a night.

I am Platinum... What are the chances that the Hotel will upgrade me when I show up? Is it worth 5K points per night to upgrade?

Anybody with experiences with this?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 2:38 pm

When I compared prices between Marriott's Frenchman's Reef and the Renaissance a week ago, FR run-of-house group rates were running $50+ per night higher. This suggests a higher quality experience at FR.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 6:40 pm

When I stayed at the Renaissance in January and early February, I booked in April the prior year using Marriott Points. A few phone calls to the hotel led me to believe they would upgrade me (I, too, am Platinum) without the additional upgrade certificates (7 @ 5,000 points a night is a LOT of points), so I chanced it and did not order the upgrade certificates. Because of a tight work schedule, my girlfriend left on our scheduled departure date and I showed up two days later -- even without me there, they upgraded our room as promised.

So, my advice is to call the hotel desk directly after making the reservation, tell them you are Platinum, and insist that they upgrade you. Chances are good you will be upgraded.

Still, I was terribly disappointed with St. Thomas and won't be returning any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.