Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Has anyone been able to book a room here recently? I can't see any availability online over the next year.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
150 quid or 10k points on Saturday this week

Last time I stayed there on the 150 quid rate they gave me my choice of rooms. Had booked an accessible room but the bath was harder to deal with than the usual showers (grab rails not really in useful places), so I took a suite instead...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by typical
150 quid or 10k points on Saturday this week
Thanks - I hadn't looked quite that close. On further investigation, it seems there's no 2014 availability at the moment and when I want to stay in December, there's a minimum stay requirement.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Intriguingly I have been offered the chance to use a Suite Night Upgrade for I think the first time at this property.

Since I have a bunch expiring I have done so and will see what happens...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
As long as suites are not sold out, you should get the SNA to clear. They have been upgrading Plats to suites without SNAs recently when they are busier, so they are certainly willing to make use of their Suite inventory.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Enjoyed stay, using SNA

Originally Posted by typical
Intriguingly I have been offered the chance to use a Suite Night Upgrade for I think the first time at this property.

Since I have a bunch expiring I have done so and will see what happens...
My son and I stayed here October 24-26. I like the Aloft hotels but don't like that they've opted out of giving Plt upgrades. I wanted a suite and was very pleased to see this place accepted SNAs, which in our case cleared 5 days out.

I say this because we took advantage of the Camp Aloft for Kids, which my son enjoyed. "Check out all the perks:"

Child-Size Air Mattress and Kid’s Bedding
Goodie Bag
Kid-Friendly Food Options
splash pool

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...fId=1010668171

He set up his air mattress in the living room, giving him is "own room", with his own half bath, which he really liked. I liked the extra space, including a dining table to eat his snacks and what we brought up from re:fuel. They gave us both the Platinum breakfast amenity as well as some extra hot drink coupons so we didn't lack for sustenance. The food prices were reasonable but selection was barely adequate, and they were missing several of the more appealing items on their menu.

This hotel participates in the Green Choice program; they only offer 250 points, but GBP 5 food/drink credit vs. 500 pts or USD 5 like in the States. I normally take the points but to me GBP 5 is worth more than 250 points so I took the credit to pay for another meal at re:fuel.

The pool was smaller than it appeared in the picture, but still big enough to do some swimming. They should have a picture of the pool area at night because it is pretty cool. Rather than locker rooms they have changing rooms and open air showers. Overall we enjoyed the pool area.

It doesn't seem as big at first but there is actually a lot of public space, just broken up into larger communal areas and smaller, even intimate nooks. We played a lot of pool, supported by good service from the bar. The drinks were pretty expensive.

The DLR train stop was pretty convenient. There are elevators from the platforms to the walkway connecting the Excel Centre to the hotel, so you don't need to haul bags up any stairs. On the day we left the DLR was closed east of Canning Town for maintenance. This meant we had to take the bus (far less convenient) to Canning Town to catch the Tube, which was a madhouse due to the closures.

Speaking of Excel, the main entrance is on the other end of the building, a good 10 min walk. There is an entrance on the Aloft side but it was closed for our event.

Of the four hotels at which we stayed on this trip the Aloft was the least expensive but we liked it the best. Nice design and atmosphere, decent amenities, friendly staff. If we need to be on that side of London again we will definitely return.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:26 pm

Stayed again last night and am now on a streak of 4 consecutive suite upgrades here which isn't bad for a brand that doesn't normally upgrade willingly.

Main thing to note is that the Platinum breakfast has changed to full breakfast in Fede, rather than a few items from re:fuel. Mix of hot and continental options in the restaurant, so a decent increase on the previous breakfast.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by RAPC
Stayed again last night and am now on a streak of 4 consecutive suite upgrades here which isn't bad for a brand that doesn't normally upgrade willingly.

Main thing to note is that the Platinum breakfast has changed to full breakfast in Fede, rather than a few items from re:fuel. Mix of hot and continental options in the restaurant, so a decent increase on the previous breakfast.
Either you are staying when the hotel is very busy or they certainly like you! Have stayed there several times over the last couple of months, 1 night each time and no upgrade as yet!

That said rooms are reasonable and the improved breakfast as you say is very nice but I do find the services and staff very hit and miss!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]

Thanks for the update - I will be returning here in a few months and look forward to an improved breakfast.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
this is goog news
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

Interesting, I haven't stayed here for a bit but a full breakfast and potential upgrades makes it more attractive.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by toddml
Either you are staying when the hotel is very busy or they certainly like you! Have stayed there several times over the last couple of months, 1 night each time and no upgrade as yet!
Well the first couple of stays in the sequence were definitely busy and I was upgraded at check-in. (I didn't ask, it was just offered) The last two have been on cheap rates when it is definitely quieter. Nothing was mentioned on this stay, it was only when I saw the x26 room on the key card that I realised it was one of the suites again.

I won't complain, but like all streaks they will come to an end....probably my next visit!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Popping into London via LHR this weekend and found a great BRG opportunity for this property. How's the local area? Will I be bored to death? How does one get to the property from LHR?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Popping into London via LHR this weekend and found a great BRG opportunity for this property. H.'s the local area? Will I be bored to death? How does one get to the property from LHR?
Assuming the DLR is not closed for maintenance, the hotel is accessible from LHR by tube. Allow 1 hr +.

Check if the hotel is running their shuttle to Canary Wharf. Otherwise, you will need to make your own way to a moretouristy are of LON, depending what you want to do. Otherwise, not much to do in the area.

I would reccomend downloading the kabee app fir car service.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:23 am

The Canary Wharf shuttle only runs during the week. You have to take the DLR there outside of the shuttle operating times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.