Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel disabled HDMI input for TV?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:44 pm

Thank you!!!

[QUOTE=alc;18084366]I do not know what the official technical term for this is, but I called it bypass mode myself. This issue happened 80% for all my hotel stays in Canada. My trick for that is unplug the cable that look like a telephone cord in the back of the TV (if you can reach it) That cord seems to be what required for the hotel system to control the TV. Once it is removed, the hotel TV remote do not work anymore in some cases. Then I use the button(s) on the side of the TV to change my channel.

IT worked at hilton thanks. I was so upset when my kids could not use there xbox. Being in a hotel we disnt bring anything else for them to do. Thought that would be enough and we couldnt use the tv buttons and the remote had no imput opition. Unplugging the phone line to their cable box did make remote stop working but used tv buttons to change input. I called front desk and they said hdmi doesnt work on their tvs at all. Googled this and ding. Your ad helped 100 percent now time to get a night cap and relax. Have a good day
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to FT & glad the advice/input worked for you.

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I also carry a Universal remote around with me so that I can control the TV after the box is disconnected and the room remote no longer functions. You can pick one of these up at Walmart or Target for $5 or so.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I find that if you can't figure it out after a min or so, call the front desk and ask for engineering to come and show you how to connect (hey, and I'm an engineer!). They have always been able to show me the secret and it is different hotel to hotel. Never be afraid to simply ask! I even wanted to get my roku to work, but it required getting access to a log on page to authorize the device. A quick call to their wifi support desk - they added the device address manually and voila, I was up and running. Now if roku could simply work outside the us....

Billy
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kanerf
I also carry a Universal remote around with me so that I can control the TV after the box is disconnected and the room remote no longer functions. You can pick one of these up at Walmart or Target for $5 or so.
This. A universal remote is an awesome tool to carry. In an empty restaurant with a blaring TV? Click, mute.

In a bar or something showing only 1972 bowling recaps? Click, Star Trek re-runs.

Annoyed at sports bros screaming at a TV next to you in public? Click, off.
RoyalFlush, MaxFlyer and trooper like this.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This thread has taught me that some people travel with game consoles and Rokus.

Since I strive to limit the tech I travel with (and don't care much about TV), I may be even crazier than I thought.
slpybear likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 11, 2016 at 8:53 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dayone
Since I strive to limit the tech I travel with (and don't care much about TV), I may be even crazier that I thought.
Not at all, its a formidable goal to actual go out and experience the place you are visiting instead of keeping one's head buried in electronics...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:38 pm

Every once in a while after dinner we will plug an iPad or a laptop into a TV to stream Netflix. Its a nice way to unwind after a busy day being tourist.

This is also great for places like family visits when there is nothing to do after 8pm anyways. But the iPad or the laptop would be with us anyways, I would never pack a Roku.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Every once in a while after dinner we will plug an iPad or a laptop into a TV to stream Netflix. Its a nice way to unwind after a busy day being tourist.

This is also great for places like family visits when there is nothing to do after 8pm anyways. But the iPad or the laptop would be with us anyways, I would never pack a Roku.
I carry around a "modified" Fire Stick for this purpose.

Good tip above on unplugging the phone line.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:24 pm

Please remember: If you unplug anything (TV cords, phone cords), plug it back in before you leave so you're not creating a problem for the next guest using that room.
SPN Lifer, MaxFlyer and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:23 pm

Magical Solution

I use apple tv in every hotel I go. Here's the solution. 1-Unplug the look alike phone wire.
2- Take a pin or pen, if you look behind the TV you'll see 2 small holes it will be written "reset" and "update" take your pin or pen press inside the one that says "reset" your tv will shutoff. Use the side buttons to turn on and input to change for HDMI, it will work.
3-Call the Internet provider that the hotel uses. You can check in your room for the hotel humanities, check under internet sometime it's written or call front desk and ask them. To hook your Apple tv they will ask for your ip, go on settings, about and give them the ip address. You'll good to go. Your welcome
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Steve Plouffe
I use apple tv in every hotel I go. Here's the solution. 1-Unplug the look alike phone wire.
2- Take a pin or pen, if you look behind the TV you'll see 2 small holes it will be written "reset" and "update" take your pin or pen press inside the one that says "reset" your tv will shutoff. Use the side buttons to turn on and input to change for HDMI, it will work.
3-Call the Internet provider that the hotel uses. You can check in your room for the hotel humanities, check under internet sometime it's written or call front desk and ask them. To hook your Apple tv they will ask for your ip, go on settings, about and give them the ip address. You'll good to go.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Please remember: If you unplug anything (TV cords, phone cords), plug it back in before you leave so you're not creating a problem for the next guest using that room.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
This. A universal remote is an awesome tool to carry. In an empty restaurant with a blaring TV? Click, mute.

In a bar or something showing only 1972 bowling recaps? Click, Star Trek re-runs.

Annoyed at sports bros screaming at a TV next to you in public? Click, off.
My HTC One has an IR transmitter and an app to easily control any TV. It's more hilarious to change the channel in a bar when everyone just thinks you're sending a text.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
.. and for those TVs that don't have the "phone cord" (or ignore input settings even after it's been disconnected) LG (the maker of the TVs in 99% of the Marriotts I've stayed in) sells an "installer remote" that typically runs ~$20 and has buttons (Google for details) that will give you access to any of their TVs.

IMO, Marriott has gotten better about not locking out inputs lately, and ironically enough, just like so many other things in the chain, the lower-end hotels tend to lock inputs far less than the FS ones do.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Chromecast

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I find that if you can't figure it out after a min or so, call the front desk and ask for engineering to come and show you how to connect (hey, and I'm an engineer!). They have always been able to show me the secret and it is different hotel to hotel. Never be afraid to simply ask! I even wanted to get my roku to work, but it required getting access to a log on page to authorize the device. A quick call to their wifi support desk - they added the device address manually and voila, I was up and running. Now if roku could simply work outside the us....

Billy
I use my Chromecast all the time. I just have their engineering department manually add my MAC address to the system. Works every time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.