Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificate expiration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA
expiring Cat 1-4 Free Night Certificate

A friend and I both have Marriott certs (got them from cc) expiring in 2 weeks. We both have asked and granted for 6 month extension. How likely that we will be able to extend for another 6 months? What about exchange the free night cert for points? Or are they simply going down the toilet? I am also willing to give them to someone who can make use of them if there is a way (PM me). Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
I have gotten an extension twice on those certs. Dont expect any conversion to points or any other use.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You honestly have no use of a free night certificate for the original year... plus six additional months?

You cannot transfer them to anyone; and not sure I would expect to be able to extend again.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:28 pm

Chase Visa Category 1-5 Night Expiration

Hi,

Two family members have the Chase Marriott Visa, and with it there is an annual Category 1-5 free night.

I monitor their accounts, and normally would've been aware of an expiring certificate--but, alas, I had been remiss and my award wallet account wasn't updating, and I therefore didn't notice the impending expiration date of the certificates.

Is there any way to successfully re-instate these certificates through Chase or Marriott? I understand the expiry of promotional bonuses, but 6 months for the credit card seems unnecessary--given that it's an annual fee being paid. Alas!

Ultimately, it's not that big a deal, and I'll at least know for next year; but if anyone has any success with this, it'd be worth knowing.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Yup, call Marriott Rewards and ask nicely.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:13 am

Requesting for an Extension (1 Free Night Certificate)

I received a one free night certificate back in March for being a Marriott Rewards cardholder. The certificate is set to expire in September and I'm planning to travel in November.

I tried to request for an extension today and the rep said I didn't spend anything in the past. I just opened a new account last week. If I made a few charges, will it help?

Or should I call again..
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase makes the call on these. If they see you as valuable they will extend. I think opening a new account wouldn't help at all. charges on the account in question would.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:49 pm

Is this the free anniversary nights from the MR credit card? Did you talk to Chase or Marriott customer service?

My understanding is that Marriott CS is the one you should talk to, not Chase. They have the power to reissue the certificate for another six months. I had two free nights that expired and I sent a message to Marriott CS, and they were reissued good for another six months.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I had one that I wanted to use past expiration. The request was granted, but the new expiration date was 6 months from the day I requested the extension, not 6 months from the old date. (e.g. Expires May, request extension in March, new expiration is Sept., not Nov.)

That was fine for me, but if you don't have firm plans for when you'll use it, you're better off waiting until it's almost expired (or already expired, based on the previous post).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when I did this for the Chase cert I called MR they called Chase. Chase approved extension. megabonus cert extensions are approved by Marriott,
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:11 pm

I called Marriot customer service and was transferred to the right person. It has to be weekday business hours. Wait until close to the expiration date because the six months extension starts running the date your request is granted.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Push back the expiration date of 1 certificate by 1 month?

I have 1 Cat 5 certificate that is set to expire Jan-15. I'd like to use it for a stay on Feb-13. Has anyone ever been able to push back the expiration date of a Cat certificate by 1 month, or am I just going to lose it?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sorka
I have 1 Cat 5 certificate that is set to expire Jan-15. I'd like to use it for a stay on Feb-13. Has anyone ever been able to push back the expiration date of a Cat certificate by 1 month, or am I just going to lose it?
Have you ever considered doing a search on this forum given that you are a member here for at least 4 years?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sorka
The annual Cert via the credit card, a quick email to chase has gotten me a 6 month extension a few times. Don't know about the Marriott issued one.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've called about extending just a week and got denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.