Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae - SFO), CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae - SFO), CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
It's often priced very similarly to the Westin next door, and sometimes a little more expensive. Given the latter's better Plat breakfast amenity (and being nearer to New England Lobster), I tend to prefer it.
During my trips to SFO, I found Four Points cheaper overall than the Westin and aLoft, especially considering the parking at the Westin and aLoft is $30. Westin and aLoft always have price points that are nearly the same during my trips, so I don't think one is consistently cheaper than the other. I never eat breakfast at the hotels while I am in the Bay Area, so that benefit goes unused for me. I would definitely choose the Westin over aLoft for that benefit though. aLoft offers some breakfast bowl things there but the options are pretty limited.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
During my trips to SFO, I found Four Points cheaper overall than the Westin and aLoft, especially considering the parking at the Westin and aLoft is $30. Westin and aLoft always have price points that are nearly the same during my trips, so I don't think one is consistently cheaper than the other. I never eat breakfast at the hotels while I am in the Bay Area, so that benefit goes unused for me. I would definitely choose the Westin over aLoft for that benefit though. aLoft offers some breakfast bowl things there but the options are pretty limited.
Wrt to parking, I usually save (my company) the $30 and park on the road around the corner as it's a 5 min walk from the Westin (another benefit of staying at the Westin, albeit a marginal one).

Agree the FP is often the cheapest, but it seems a bit gross, and nothing within walking distance (here you still have In-N-Out or New England Lobster).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Neither the Aloft nor the Westin are anything special, but the Four Points SFO is probably the worst hotel in the system.
Agree the FP is often the cheapest, but it seems a bit gross, and nothing within walking distance.
I have an upcoming night at the Aloft, but was there something wrong in particular with the Four Points?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
I have an upcoming night at the Aloft, but was there something wrong in particular with the Four Points?
The Four Points is "fine" - the shuttle to/from the airport doesn't run as frequently in my opinion - if a restaurant/bar is important (decent bar at Aloft but limited food, Westin has a more robust restaurant which is walking distance), Four Points is not a good choice - and the Four Points is in a dead area - nothing really walking distance. The rooms are fine - but the single elevator and hotel can come off as cheapish.
msp3 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I stayed at the Marriott property a few weeks ago and the place was hopping! No discernible difference between it and the Westin otherwise. As far as the shuttle goes, if I get annoyed, I just take a Lyft. Of course, if you are into New England Lobster, then the Westin's your best choice...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The Four Points is "fine" - the shuttle to/from the airport doesn't run as frequently in my opinion - ....
I beg to differ - stayed there once and it was quite awful. Room, breakfast and above all the attitude of the FD staff.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The Four Points is "fine" - the shuttle to/from the airport doesn't run as frequently in my opinion - if a restaurant/bar is important (decent bar at Aloft but limited food, Westin has a more robust restaurant which is walking distance), Four Points is not a good choice - and the Four Points is in a dead area - nothing really walking distance. The rooms are fine - but the single elevator and hotel can come off as cheapish.
+1 on this.

Ill stay at Aloft but have dinner at Westin. Aloft usually fits my price target better anyway. It’s a walk across the parking lot.

Ive only stayed at Alofts a few times and like them. Better than the CYs I end up in 45 nights each year.

Mike
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:01 pm

Can anyone with recent stays here comment on the Plat breakfast offering? No info on the Plat breakfast thread...
If no one has chimed in yet, breakfast is actually $25 of whatever you like in their marketplace section, including the fresh hot breakfast bowls they make right there! The selection is quite varied from frozen dinners, ice cream, salads, various baked pastries, bagged snacks, bottled Starbucks drinks, to Harmless Coconut Water. You get another $5 (or points) for make a green choice so if you really wanted you can get $30 of food all at once.
RafKa likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by msp3
If no one has chimed in yet, breakfast is actually $25 of whatever you like in their marketplace section, including the fresh hot breakfast bowls they make right there! The selection is quite varied from frozen dinners, ice cream, salads, various baked pastries, bagged snacks, bottled Starbucks drinks, to Harmless Coconut Water. You get another $5 (or points) for make a green choice so if you really wanted you can get $30 of food all at once.
I have stayed here 12 nights the past three months as a Platinum member and never was offered a voucher for breakfast... I probably should have known better but don't find the people here that friendly. I usually just use mobile check in/out but never a good morning or have a nice day when walking by the front desk. Still have yet to receive any points for the Green choice ( I requested). They will put a voucher under your door automatically if you hang the tag out.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I have stayed here 12 nights the past three months as a Platinum member and never was offered a voucher for breakfast... I probably should have known better but don't find the people here that friendly. I usually just use mobile check in/out but never a good morning or have a nice day when walking by the front desk. Still have yet to receive any points for the Green choice ( I requested). They will put a voucher under your door automatically if you hang the tag out.
They were not that friendly in my experience either, reactive rather than proactive. When I checked in, no recognition of status, not offered an upgrade (but I do believe they were sold out for the night), was only offered a breakfast voucher when I asked, front desk told me they default to giving points as the amenity. I gave the $5 F&B credit back and asked for the small amount of points since I didn't get a chance to use it before I had to check out...
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Just need for one night--in midday, out early next morning for a flight.

Any recent reviews of this hotel?
Any recognition for Titanium?
Is Westin the best place walking distance to have dinner? Or where would you suggest? (nothing fancy, just good quality)
Impressions of shuttle bus TO airport around 9am on a monday? (we'll be taking a taxi directly to the hotel itself)
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Just need for one night--in midday, out early next morning for a flight.

Any recent reviews of this hotel?
Any recognition for Titanium?
Is Westin the best place walking distance to have dinner? Or where would you suggest? (nothing fancy, just good quality)
Impressions of shuttle bus TO airport around 9am on a monday? (we'll be taking a taxi directly to the hotel itself)
Thanks in advance.
Haven't stayed here before but, I know the hotel itself was remodeled a few years ago.

I stayed at the Westin a year ago, and wouldn't recommend the restaurant. If you wanted to go to a hotel restaurant I'd go to the Marriott's restaurant across the street.
The New England Lobster Market & Eatery which is behind the Aloft/Westin is actually quite good and reasonable if seafood is your thing, its pretty casual. Quite a few decent asian restaurants within a short walking distance. There's also an In N Out and Panera bread across the highway if you want something more casual.

The shuttle bus is pretty regular, I'd say one every 20 minutes and its a short ride, its a shared bus with another hotel (believe its shared with the Westin).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by freeagent
Haven't stayed here before but, I know the hotel itself was remodeled a few years ago.

I stayed at the Westin a year ago, and wouldn't recommend the restaurant. If you wanted to go to a hotel restaurant I'd go to the Marriott's restaurant across the street.
The New England Lobster Market & Eatery which is behind the Aloft/Westin is actually quite good and reasonable if seafood is your thing, its pretty casual. Quite a few decent asian restaurants within a short walking distance. There's also an In N Out and Panera bread across the highway if you want something more casual.

The shuttle bus is pretty regular, I'd say one every 20 minutes and its a short ride, its a shared bus with another hotel (believe its shared with the Westin).
Thanks very much for the restaurant recommendations. I do appreciate it.

Anyone stayed at Aloft and can share impressions of that hotel or other preferred hotels in the area. I was considering the Marriott but read many very poor reviews. I'd like to be fairly close to the airport for shorter shuttle. Been burned twice with SFO shuttles--Hilton shuttle caused me to miss a flight to NY and Hyatt Regency shuttle almost the same. (Yes, perhaps I need to allow more time.) Would love to stay at Hyatt inside SFO but too $$$. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Thanks very much for the restaurant recommendations. I do appreciate it.

Anyone stayed at Aloft and can share impressions of that hotel or other preferred hotels in the area. I was considering the Marriott but read many very poor reviews. I'd like to be fairly close to the airport for shorter shuttle. Been burned twice with SFO shuttles--Hilton shuttle caused me to miss a flight to NY and Hyatt Regency shuttle almost the same. (Yes, perhaps I need to allow more time.) Would love to stay at Hyatt inside SFO but too $$$. Thanks.
The hotel is fine and well up to the standards of other Aloft hotels. Clean, modern and minimalistic design. Have to pay for parking though, $30 IIRC, but my last visit no one asked and the gate wasn't spitting out tickets - the machine looked broken and the lot was not as full as usual so not sure what was up with that. I wasn't charged for parking that stay. I was there in October. I didn't take the shuttle personally, but if that is important for you I would definitely check with the front desk to confirm the schedule and how that works. I was recognized as a Titanium and was offered a breakfast credit I didn't end up using. No upgrades available during my last stay but I arrived pretty late and was leaving early to catch a flight so a bigger room didn't matter to me. I have been upgraded there before, but there aren't many room types. It's a higher floor mostly or a ground level room with a patio if it isn't a suite.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion (Post # 74)
The hotel is fine and well up to the standards of other Aloft hotels. Clean, modern and minimalistic design. Have to pay for parking though, $30 IIRC, but my last visit no one asked and the gate wasn't spitting out tickets - the machine looked broken and the lot was not as full as usual so not sure what was up with that. I wasn't charged for parking that stay. I was there in October [2021]. . . . I was recognized as a Titanium and was offered a breakfast credit I didn't end up using.
I stayed overnight this week, using a 25K certificate plus 13K points.

I had a rental vehicle for a week from the airport to turn in, and it would have cost more to do so a night early, so upon check-in I paid the $37 parking posted on the website. Parking is operated by "Park 'N Fly"; while I was there they were stencilling that with white paint on the spaces. They use one's license plate number now (not the entry gate relics), which was the first thing I provided upon check-in after my ID (and that of my wife and adult son) and Marriott Bonvy Visa card.

We checked in at 2:00 p.m. and received a north-facing third-floor room near the elevator. We could have had one further away, but it would have been one half of a pair of connected rooms.

I was recognized as a Titanium Elite, and asked if I preferred points or breakfast as my welcome gift. I chose the latter. The front desk clerk gave me business-size cards with my surname and the date, purportedly valid for continental breakfast; I was pleasantly surprised to receive three rather than two. Each had the number "15" written at the top right corner.

It turns out the "15" represents a $15 credit, similar to what Hilton is doing. Coffee was complimentary from a machine. A hamburger was $10 (x 2), a croissant sandwich was $7, an oat beverage (with way too much ice) was $7 (x 2), and a pre-packaged breakfast bar from the pantry was $7.50. The total for three of us came to $48+, including tax.

We had leftover groceries (and yogurt & pastries) from our prior five-day stay at a Residence Inn, so the skimpy "breakfast" did not bother us. Plus, my wife & I are life members of the United Club, and had a late morning flight to NRT. However, if we had been relying on that Aloft "breakfast" for our morning sustenance, we would not have been satisfied.

Overall, it was a good stay at a convenient location, less expensive than the next-door Westin where I spent a night in March 2011 and July 2019.
kevino likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 27, 2022 at 10:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.