Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: A few
Thanks folks. Problem is I got here late (after 9pm) and had a walk around the nearby blocks and found very little. Looking on my iPad maps looks like there is much more in 10 minute vicinity. I am here a couple more nights but dining in the city but may trybagain with the cheap rate and see if I can do better next time

Couple of other problems to note though- I reported my tv not working when I arrived and nobody has come to fix it. Also I booked opening offer with a free in room movie but doesn't seem to be any in room movies available. Not too cool
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Ask the front desk where to go. Juniors is just up the block. Montegue St is about a 10 mins walk where you can find all types of places to eat at different price levels. 5 mins away, there is a Ruth Chris steak house next to the Marriott. Hope this helps.
The only steak house I've seen by the Brooklyn Marriott is a Morton's, not Ruth Chris.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
You are right - I am looking at it right now. I mixed up the 2. Never been to either but just know they are the high end steak chains.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Why pay $132 when you can get the same room at the Aloft for $99? Deadline to book at this rate is June 15:

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-...0-Off-1045117/
already sold out:

Update (Monday, June 13, 2011): The hot deals always go fast! Our Test Booking Center has found that this offer either sold out due to huge demand or is no longer available.

Still managed to get a couple of nights in at this rate and you can still get the $125/night pre-paid rate
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, UA - former 1K, SPG - Plat, HH - former Diamond
In order to qualify for the triple points offer, do I have to reserve through their site? If I use my corporate rates, will I still get the opening offer?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by yoggieb
In order to qualify for the triple points offer, do I have to reserve through their site? If I use my corporate rates, will I still get the opening offer?
Yes to first question and no to second
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:17 pm

The triple points being offered at this property are in lieu of prepaid rates that are cheaper. If you only select the best available flexible rate, this may be a no-brainer, but you are effectively buying the extra Starpoints by agreeing to pay a higher rate than is otherwise available (with the caveat that the comparison is to a more restrictive rate).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, SPG Platinum
I stayed at the Sheraton Brooklyn adjoined to the same building as the aLoft while it was in its last stages of being prepped for opening last week (06/05 - 06/08 was my stay). While not at aloft, I saw lots of comments on what to do.

1. An alternative to Howard Beach A train is LIRR @ Jamaica to Atlantic Blvd. It comes every 20 minutes (on the weekend) and it is only 15-20 minutes to Atlantic Blvd. On the weekend you can use a citycard @ $3.25 or regular off/on peak hours during the week. The Howard Beach A train takes 40-50 minutes in comparison.

2. There are a ton of restaurants around the hotel within a 5-10 minute walk. I felt safe and wasn't approached once when I made the the trip from the Sheraton to various restaurants. Even went on one of the local trains one night and took the 3 train to Crown Heights to get wings at Superwings, no regrets (and awesome wings).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Grand opening promo inc movie but no in room movie

First time at an alof. This property is very nice and I perfer it over the sheraton next door. But my grand opening promo rate includes a movie but they have not set up the movie option yet. Should I ask for points compensation?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:58 pm

First time at an alof. This property is very nice and I perfer it over the sheraton next door. But my grand opening promo rate includes a movie but they have not set up the movie option yet. Should I ask for points compensation?
I would either ask for points or a credit to my room rate for the normal cost of a movie.

Just curious, what is it about this aloft that you prefer over the next-door Sheraton (larger room?, various perks?, etc.). I'm planning to hotel hop between the two over the next month to take advantage of the current promo, but I was assuming that the Sheraton was going to be the nicer hotel of the 2 just because of the difference in brands.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I would either ask for points or a credit to my room rate for the normal cost of a movie.

Just curious, what is it about this aloft that you prefer over the next-door Sheraton (larger room?, various perks?, etc.). I'm planning to hotel hop between the two over the next month to take advantage of the current promo, but I was assuming that the Sheraton was going to be the nicer hotel of the 2 just because of the difference in brands.
Never being at an alof, I was surprised at how nice it was. Is very hip - nice looking bar, pool table, and out door patio. Room was clean and bright (smaller than sheraton but felt like a loft room). The negative was the noisy air con. With the $10 food credit/triple points/movie, this place is a great deal over next door.

The Sheraton is like any Sheraton. Did not excit me. But it does have a lounge so jumping btwn the 2 will basically allow you lounge access every day.

SPG just posted the triple points but no comp for the movie as promised. Will wait a couple more days before calling plat desk to get them posted.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Jun 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Gold
just checked in with my second time here. Booked the $99 rate to do some mattress run. Front desk agent was super nice and told me they put me in the loft room with terrace. I was surprise and asked him I thought they only have two kinds of room available - king and double, but he told me they actually have 4 kinds of room at this property but there are very few of them and not all of them are ready yet.

The first thing I noticed when I went into my room was how quiet the air conditioning is. My first time was in a regular room and I had trouble getting a good night sleep because of the air conditioning noise, but the loft terrace room has a different kind of air conditioning on the wall and you can barely hear anything.

The room is the same size of the regular king room but it has a terrace probably 1.5 times the size of the room. Nice view out there. Overall I like this property and I would stay here rather than the Sheraton next door.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
I showed up to check in yesterday at 4PM. The front desk staff asked if I cared to wait for a suite while it was being cleaned. I've stayed at multiple Aloft properties and didn't even realize there were suites. So I accepted the offer. But the wait turned into an hour. I wasn't in a rush and tried to exhibit patience (I wouldn't want to clean up the room in a hurry or under any other circumstances). Without any prompting, the staff offered me complimentary snacks and drinks. And as the time stretched on, one of them even offered me some points (I gladly accepted). I enjoyed the stay. It was easy to get into Manhattan (though getting to EWR was tough). If I'd been with family or in a hurry, the wait for my room would have been more challenging.

Last edited by morerainplease; Jun 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by morerainplease
And as the time stretched on, one of them even offered me some points (I gladly accepted).
Let us know if you get the extra points. Mine has not shown even though the regular points posted. Is for their false advertisement of free in room movie w/ the grand opening promo. I really enjoy this hotel but the day manager promised me points as compensation - i think he just want to get rid of me . Is not easy to get rid of me as I will be back very soon - hope by then they will get the movie channel install.

update - I just got it today.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Let us know if you get the extra points.
The promised points came through this morning with the regular stay points. Thankfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.