Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG, BAEC, IHG, Le Club Accor, Marriott Rewards
I am looking forward to staying at The Chatwal for the first time from Dec 27 through Jan 1.

No idea what I'm going to use the butler service for as I don't wear shirts, don't drink tea or coffee and don't have shoes that need shining! Do you think they'd be annoyed if I asked for a few tiny sewing jobs? (Pocket on coat is coming off, button has fallen off, it's a nice coat really...) Or do you think they'll outsource that? I remember watching a programme on the Savoy, and it seems that they were all trained in basic hand sewing (I'm not clearly!)
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by i_am_commuter
Do you think they'd be annoyed if I asked for a few tiny sewing jobs? (Pocket on coat is coming off, button has fallen off, it's a nice coat really...) Or do you think they'll outsource that? I remember watching a programme on the Savoy, and it seems that they were all trained in basic hand sewing (I'm not clearly!)
I say give it a try and please let us know what they do.

It's a beautiful hotel and I'm sure you'll find some things for the butler to do.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG, BAEC, IHG, Le Club Accor, Marriott Rewards
Sadly was quite unwell on my NYC trip, so didn't get to take advantage of the butler service. On the good side, housekeeping saw the state I was in, offered help, gave me lots of extra water, called reception to get me medicine. She was truly lovely bless her!

Did perk up a little for NYE, so spent it in the bar. The bar staff are fantastic. Great cocktails and a wonderful sense of humour to boot.

Wouldn't hesitate in going back to The Chatwal.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent stays here?

Specifically when it comes to Platinum treatment regarding room upgrades and the breakfast amenity. Several posts back (roughly three years ago), a poster mentioned it was continental only, consisting of tea and coffee, and fruit and pastries (no hot items). Just wondering if they've eased up on that at all.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by 9volt
Any recent stays here?

Specifically when it comes to Platinum treatment regarding room upgrades and the breakfast amenity. Several posts back (roughly three years ago), a poster mentioned it was continental only, consisting of tea and coffee, and fruit and pastries (no hot items). Just wondering if they've eased up on that at all.
I didn't pick breakfast, so I cannot answer your second question. I was upgraded to a spacious junior suite while staying there back in April.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Is the pool/spa worth visiting?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by 9volt
Any recent stays here?

It's the dollar value of the continental breakfast towards anything on the menu. I believe it was around $30/person and the American Breakfast was $2-3 extra on top of that. I've had a few stays here in the past year and I upgraded to American Breakfast or some other items most of the time and sometimes they charged me the extra and sometime they didn't, so YMMV, but officially it's a credit equal to the continental breakfast cost.

On upgrades, I think they are pretty honest and try to upgrade when they can. That said, it's a pretty small hotel that seems to be pretty busy during the week, so I've rarely been upgraded beyond a deluxe room. I've received a suite once and a deluxe or grand deluxe room almost every other time.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spgplat21
It's the dollar value of the continental breakfast towards anything on the menu. I believe it was around $30/person and the American Breakfast was $2-3 extra on top of that. I've had a few stays here in the past year and I upgraded to American Breakfast or some other items most of the time and sometimes they charged me the extra and sometime they didn't, so YMMV, but officially it's a credit equal to the continental breakfast cost.

On upgrades, I think they are pretty honest and try to upgrade when they can. That said, it's a pretty small hotel that seems to be pretty busy during the week, so I've rarely been upgraded beyond a deluxe room. I've received a suite once and a deluxe or grand deluxe room almost every other time.
I was charged the overages too this past trip but friends on a different bill had them waived. They were busy so just got a deluxe room upgrade from the base Queen room. Service was 100x better than Andaz 5th Avenue, Park Hyatt and it reminded me that NY hotel staff could actually care about and try for guests. I'd recommend paying for what you're comfortable with here
​​​
bhrubin was right about the hotel and the Lambs Club. Not too badly priced for NYC and absolutely delectable dishes from the Tagliolini to the Faroe Island salmon. The matinee lunch is a steal if you're there during the weekdays.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The property sent out some advertisement today. According to Travel + Leisure magazine they're:

#2 in NYC: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...rk#the-chatwal
#4 in USA: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...-in-us#chatwal
#86 globally: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...llection-hotel
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Football Fan
Is the pool/spa worth visiting?
To answer my own question, the "pool" is the smallest hotel pool I have ever seen. It's absolutely impossible to swim in it. It's more like a slightly oversized bath tub. The photo on the SPG website is extremely misleading, it makes it look much bigger than it is. The most hilarious thing is that they are apparently obligated by law to have a life guard there. The "pool" is 4 ft deep and maybe 10 ft long and 5 ft wide .

Originally Posted by spgplat21

The hotel didn't deduct the dollar value of the continental breakfast from the breakfast I had, just charged me in full, although that was my chosen Plat benefit. They didn't react when I wrote to them about it after they sent me the folio via e-mail. They also didn't upgrade me at all (Lifetime Plat). I asked at checkin to program the keys for late checkout. Of course that didn't happen, I had to go back to reception on the day of my checkout.

On the plus side, the staff are quite friendly.

Last edited by Football Fan; Nov 4, 2017 at 8:03 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer my own question, the "pool" is the smallest hotel pool I have ever seen. It's absolutely impossible to swim in it. It's more like a slightly oversized bath tub. The photo on the SPG website is extremely misleading, it makes it look much bigger than it is. The most hilarious thing is that they are apparently obligated by law to have a life guard there. The "pool" is 4 ft deep and maybe 10 ft long and 5 ft wide .

The hotel didn't deduct the dollar value of the continental breakfast from the breakfast I had, just charged me in full, although that was my chosen Plat benefit. They didn't react when I wrote to them about it after they sent me the folio via e-mail. They also didn't upgrade me at all (Lifetime Plat). I asked at checkin to program the keys for late checkout. Of course that didn't happen, I had to go back to reception on the day of my checkout.

On the plus side, the staff are quite friendly.
They really should have upgraded you and taken care of all those things. They're usually very good at taking off breakfast and responding. Very strange.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
They really should have upgraded you and taken care of all those things. They're usually very good at taking off breakfast and responding. Very strange.
With a bit of delay, they responded to my message, deducted the entire breakfast cost (not just continental), acknowledged the tiny pool and offered to let me know about alternative options in the vicinity if I were to come back, and explained that there was no availability for an upgrade. They did kindly credit my SPG account with 5k points. So I should say that was a pretty good (and unexpected) service recovery.
controller1 and Aventine like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a bit of delay, they responded to my message, deducted the entire breakfast cost (not just continental), acknowledged the tiny pool and offered to let me know about alternative options in the vicinity if I were to come back, and explained that there was no availability for an upgrade. They did kindly credit my SPG account with 5k points. So I should say that was a pretty good (and unexpected) service recovery.
That's a nice gift in lieu of upgrade but someone like yourself should be given a deluxe room at least for your years and continued patronage. That's how it goes for Hyatt LT members.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:41 pm

By the way, this is the hotel "pool". Look at the size relative to the chairs...

Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, this is the hotel "pool". Look at the size relative to the chairs...

At least they can claim they have a pool?
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.