Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Can anyone provide me with the General managers email address for this property? I would like to make a request.

Thanks in advance.

GM- Joel Freyberg

[email protected]
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: A bunch
what the heck?!

was watching prices for a weekend in March, 2 days ago it was $424 a night, yester day $445 a night on starwood.com now its over $750 a night!!! However hotels.com and expedia still have it at $444. Not sure what to do here as I had my heart set on this place but not paying that much. Even $450 is high.

Should I wait and see if it drops back down or should i just try to call starwood and have them match the expedia and hotels.com price!!???

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
was watching prices for a weekend in March, 2 days ago it was $424 a night, yester day $445 a night on starwood.com now its over $750 a night!!! However hotels.com and expedia still have it at $444. Not sure what to do here as I had my heart set on this place but not paying that much. Even $450 is high.

Should I wait and see if it drops back down or should i just try to call starwood and have them match the expedia and hotels.com price!!???

Thanks
I'll preface my statement by stating I have not looked for weekend stays at this property. However, $445 is one of the lowest rates I have see at this property in a year. Oven seen rates regularly as high as $800/nt. I'd say to book it and file the brg. With the additional 10% off, you'd be down to $400/nt.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by justinc848
I'll preface my statement by stating I have not looked for weekend stays at this property. However, $445 is one of the lowest rates I have see at this property in a year. Oven seen rates regularly as high as $800/nt. I'd say to book it and file the brg. With the additional 10% off, you'd be down to $400/nt.
OK, whats BRG?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
OK, whats BRG?
best rate guarantee
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:10 pm

Ok, I called SPG customer service for the booking. Asked them to honor hotels.com $445 rate for base level room. She advised she didn't show that room in her inventory however it is available online for over $800 a night now. She said just as suggested here to submit best rate form. She said that Hotel.com actually bought those rooms so thats why they don't show up in her system, they are already sold. I did the price match form and will get a response within 2 days.

My wife could've booked the room about 2 weeks ago thru her work travel dept for $395 however i didn't think i would get stay credit and I want to have this stay count for the "more stay, more nights" promo and i wasn't sure if booking thru her work would allow it.

if i can't get the rate I'm thinking of just staying at the Surrey for $400 a night and skipping star wood altogether for this trip however i was going to try for a platinum challenge starting in march and this was going to be my first stay of the challenge.

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Feb 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
For what it's worth, it looks like the property is still offering Virtuoso rates in the mid-$400s over a couple of March weekends. You can book Virtuoso rates via a Virtuoso agency and you'll receive stay credit, along with:
  • An upgrade, if available, at check-in
  • Daily breakfast for 2
  • One-time $100 spa credit

In the interest of full disclosure, I am affiliated with a Virtuoso agency. Thus, in an effort to avoid any signs of impropriety, I will recuse myself from this one. That said, if you are looking for a Virtuoso agent, there are a number of good ones on Flyertalk. Check out the Luxury Hotels forum for more info.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by MarshKing
For what it's worth, it looks like the property is still offering Virtuoso rates in the mid-$400s over a couple of March weekends. You can book Virtuoso rates via a Virtuoso agency and you'll receive stay credit, along with:
  • An upgrade, if available, at check-in
  • Daily breakfast for 2
  • One-time $100 spa credit

In the interest of full disclosure, I am affiliated with a Virtuoso agency. Thus, in an effort to avoid any signs of impropriety, I will recuse myself from this one. That said, if you are looking for a Virtuoso agent, there are a number of good ones on Flyertalk. Check out the Luxury Hotels forum for more info.
If i can get points and stay credit i will gladly book thru virtuoso! I will wait and see what statwood comes back with and if no luck i will do virtuoso as i have always wanted to try them. Thanks for the tip!!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:15 pm

Update! Starwood contacted me saying they can honor the hotels.com price of $447.50! I had the choice off 10% of the rate or 2000 points so I took the 10% off the price which brings the price down to $402 plus taxes! Pretty good price on this property! I had to book whatever was available on SPG.com (since my room type wasn't available on SPG.com) for the reservation and I did a refundable rate per their suggestion and they said it will be adjusted.

Now hopefully it lives up to my expectations!

Thanks for the suggestion to do the BRG!

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Feb 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great to hear you were able to get a price you are happier with. I stayed here a month ago and it is really a great property. You may want to consider posting in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-2.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
They have not been paying their taxes :-X

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...6LZIBL5aMnfanM
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
They have not been paying their taxes :-X

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...6LZIBL5aMnfanM
Yes, but because of a loophole that the city has overlooked. Not paying taxes that are DUE would be more of a Helmsley move.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:27 am

Just got back from a 3 day stay here!

All I can say this is a true Gem in the starwood chain! I want to thank everyone at the hotel because they all did a great job and went above and beyond! I will come back here for sure on our next visit!

I got my BRG rate of $402 plus taxes (for the normal rooms) however they gave me a 2 room Queen Suite (because that was all that was available online when I tried to book) going for $1050 plus taxes. It had a HUGE outdoor patio and 2 VERY NICE full bathrooms both with TV's integrated into the mirrors. I am not plat or gold so to the Chatwal Staff and front desk- THANK YOU! We very much appreciated it and we will stay here for are next NYC stays!

Oh yeah and great drinks at the bar and great food at the Lambs Club!! Oh and it was probably the best shower Ive had and I have been in plenty of waterfall showers but this one was perfect!

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Mar 12, 2012 at 8:28 am Reason: added
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
So-so experience

We had a very average stay here in early August. I managed to snag a free 1 BR suite (Superior suite) under the special NY BRG program that SPG ran earlier in the Summer. We were planning on spending the weekend in NY in any case (to celebrate my wife's birthday) so I decided to book the next night at the Chatwal as well (on a Virtuoso rate). I got in touch with the hotel in advance of our stay to let them know about the two separate reservations, and that we would appreciate being allowed to stay in the same room for both nights (availability permitting). I also let them know that we were in town to celebrate my wife's birthday. I heard back from the hotel promptly that although not guaranteed, they will make a note of the request and accommodate us if possible.

The FD attendant was friendly and welcoming, although the hotel still had our two reservations listed separately, so it took a while before she was able to locate both reservations and combine them. She did mention that we would be able to stay in the suite for both nights, which was a gesture from the hotel we appreciated. The strange thing was she kept insisting that my Platinum benefits would not be eligible on the first night because I was booked on an "ineligible rate" so we would not be able to avail ourselves of any of the amenity choices (we had planned on choosing the breakfast) for the first night. Since the Virtuoso rate included breakfast, she mentioned that we would have breakfast for the second day of our stay, but not on the first. We went back and forth for about 5-10 minutes (during which I tried telling her about the promotional BRG rate for the first night, and that my Platinum status should be honored given that it was booked through SPG, and even asked for a supervisor, who was unavailable), at which point I decided to yield and just head on up to our room (we were getting late for a dinner reservation). I figured I would take it up with someone else later on (as it turns out, we woke up too late for breakfast the first day in any case).

After the stay, I got in touch with SPG customer care to let them know of this incident - heard back from them quite promptly assuring me that I was indeed entitled to the Platinum benefits and that they would ensure that the management is trained accordingly ^ (email excerpted below)
I am not personally located in our Best Rate Guarantee department, so I was not completely familiar with the offer. However, I did speak with my colleague who is in that department, and even though you utilized this offer, the reservation itself would have still be booked through our system. For that reason, you would have received your Platinum benefits. All members receive their benefits (Gold or Platinum), when taking advantage of our Best Rate Guarantee option.

That being said, I am thinking there may have been either confusion on this offer, or there may need to be additional training; which is why management has been made aware of this case. We will be investigating it in full, and will be having the most appropriate person contact you back personally within five days time.

No further contact from the property (as promised); however we did receive 500 starpoints as goodwill. A few other notes from the stay

- The 1 BR suites have a strange U-shaped layout, with the bedroom and the living room on the vertical portions of the "U" and connected through the horizontal part. This layout results in a slightly claustrophobic feel as the living room is completely disconnected from the bedroom, so doesnt feel like a regular "suite". No view to speak of - the window faced another building so the rooms were quite dark. The two bathrooms were great, though!

- The room is furnished beautifully, and the bathrooms were especially great. Special mention goes to the bed and the shower, both of which were outstanding

- Breakfast at the Lamb's Club was just about okay. The continental breakfast comes with a pastry basket - I asked for a bagel instead of the basket, and asked for some sides (sliced avocados and tomatoes) - the sides were charged at $8 each. My wife had some French Toast, which was okay.

- Service at breakfast was quite indifferent

- My wife went for a spa treatment which she enjoyed, however the hotel forgot to take off the $100 virtuoso spa credit, and I had to get in touch with the hotel later to have it removed.

Overall, this stay was a bit disappointing especially given the high expectations I had going in. On checking in, the head butler mentioned we should get ready for the best stay of our lives.

It was not even close.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
No further contact from the property (as promised); however we did receive 500 starpoints as goodwill. A few other notes from the stay

- The 1 BR suites have a strange U-shaped layout, with the bedroom and the living room on the vertical portions of the "U" and connected through the horizontal part. This layout results in a slightly claustrophobic feel as the living room is completely disconnected from the bedroom, so doesnt feel like a regular "suite". No view to speak of - the window faced another building so the rooms were quite dark. The two bathrooms were great, though!
We got the same line about our gold benefits not being valid during the BRG promotion stays. I've been meaning to pursue this as I did not even get my points for my incidental spend either for the stay. Thanks for your report, that helps.

Also, the reason those 1 BR suites are laid out so strangely is because they can resell those "suites" as two separate "1 BR Queen" rooms as I discovered during the BRG promotion. The BRG reservation was for a suite but we were given a Queen room and told that since this is a "promotional" stay, they did not have to honor the room type. On a later stay I saw a suite and realized that the "Queen" room we had been given was actually a murphy bed set up in the "living room" portion of the suite.

I too was very underwhelmed by this hotel as part of the Luxury Collection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.