Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

RC Shanghai Pudong or RC Shangahi Portman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,

Hi FT!

We'll be going to Shanghai for the first time ever in July as tourists I don't know anything about Shanghai and was wondering what the differences are between the RCs and if you all had any recommendations?

Thanks,

Bege

Last edited by begemot; May 19, 2011 at 3:34 am Reason: added Pudong
Old May 19, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: VS Gold,QR Gold, BA Silver
Without a doubt as a tourist I would say RC Puxi, its in the centre of town not far away from Xintendi, the Bund etc etc, plus its on the main shopping street Nanjing Xi Lu

The RC Pudong is great if your working in Pudong , but whilst close to the bund you would find yourself crossing the river all the time.

Hope the above helps
Old May 19, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

All the happenings are at puxi except the skyscrappers. I will do portman.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:37 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Both are very nice and as stated, the Portman is much more centralized. However, with the extensive metro system in place, it is really easy to get from Puxi to Pudong and vice versa - usually much faster and cheaper too.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. So first of all I figured out puxi=Portman , and second that it's the better place for us. I have booked.

Sjl you mentioned Pudong being cheaper but in my case the puxi was a little cheaper. I'll use my corp rate so maybe they just negoiated better at Portman.

Thanks all again!

Bege
Old May 20, 2011, 12:55 am
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by begemot
Sjl you mentioned Pudong being cheaper but in my case the puxi was a little cheaper. I'll use my corp rate so maybe they just negoiated better at Portman.

Thanks all again!

Bege
I was talking about transportation on the Metro getting back and forth from Pudong & Puxi. Taxi's are relatively cheap too but you often get stuck in traffic...
Old May 20, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I think try to avoid traveling from 5pm to 7pm save the day.

We always leave work at 5pm, grab a cab to head back to courtyard puxi and work until 7pm to avoid the traffic issue.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I have stayed at Portman many times - great service! You will love it.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I love the Portman (especially back when Shangri-La was its flag), but I feel compelled to advise that it was built during an era when 25 square meter rooms were the standard (same goes for the Hilton). If you desire more modern amenities, the JW Marriott wins (but, the Portman's location is better).
Old May 24, 2011, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks again. I'll also check out JW. How would you say they compare in service? I know RCs are supposed to be better but sometimes I find it's not true.

Bege
Old May 25, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by begemot

Thanks all again!

Bege
RC Pudong is brand new(one year anniversary coming up) and much more expensive than Portman(the first oasis for expats in Shanghai when international service is non-exist in Shanghai). I used to be able to get $70 rate at Portman about 10 years ago -- things have changed after the Clinton stay at the Portman.

The best corporate rate at RC Pudong is about RMB250 more than the best corporate rate at Portman. However, there is a great corporate promotion going on at RC Pudong that includes the club access(which is very rare at RCs). This is one of the best deals right now in Shanghai. I have been telling my friends on short business trips to Shanghai to stay at RC Pudong to take advantage of this club access offer (to upgrade to club floor if you don't have club access, you will have to pay RMB800+15%).

But for tourists, it's a tough call. I live in Shanghai, in the french concession(near Portman). To me, that's where the action is, where "all the good things in life" are. The real old Shanghai is the quite tree-lined streets with restaurants, cafes, boutique shops, galleries, massage places and night clubs -- all concentrated in and around the french concession, plus the bund area. The real Shanghai is not the skyscrapers around the RC Pudong(they are just office buildings and hotels), although the skyline is always the first thing you see about Shanghai.

So it's a choice between good location at the relative-old-but-still-good-service Portman (perfect base to explore the real Shanghai), and modern comfort at a brand new RC Pudong with easy access to subway which will take you everywhere. In fact, you can take the subway from RC Pudong to Portman (Just 3 stops on Subway Line 2 -- at 2 minutes per stop, that's 6 minutes). The subway station is right underneath RC Pudong's adjacent brand new shopping mall; while it's a short walk from Portman to Nanjing Road W station. Well, if you are staying at Portman, you probably just take cabs everywhere -- taxis are cheap in China. At RC Pudong, you might want to consider taking the subway to cross the river, where there could be traffic jams at the tunnel.

JW Shanghai is centrally located in Shanghai at People Square, the geographic center of Shanghai. It's also one of the most favorite JWs in the world, according to a FT survey. I like this property and have stayed there much more often than both RCs, mostly because of access to club lounges. The club lounge there is great. Platinum members usually get upgraded to a junior suite (used to be full suite) at JW, while not much upgrades at both RCs (no club access for platinum).

Well, it's a tough call. I guess it depends how long you will be in Shanghai, what you intend to do, and whether you value club access.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
Well, it's a tough call. I guess it depends how long you will be in Shanghai, what you intend to do, and whether you value club access.
Dear TravellerOnline,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response. I forwarded to the wife and take a look. I think as we probably won't be back soon Portman may be best for the location. Club lounge of course would be very nice but I think we'll be outside most of the time.

Bege
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:19 am

Let me resurrect this thread.

Anyone can share any recent stay experience at Ritz-Carlton Shanghai Pudong as a Platinum RC Rewards member? Any suite upgrade or other benefits offered?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.