FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

linke3 Sep 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Just called retention (number in the wiki) and was offered 3,000 points. I took it. I have probably around 5-6k spend total (barely used it after meeting the spend). The guy on the phone was super nice and really upselling the SPG program and using the card to pay bills online.

mareh Sep 18, 2014 9:27 am

Also called the retention number in the wiki, and was offered 1K points, and another 1K after $500 in spending. I was on the fence, but decided to close it. I have other cards with annual fees at the moment.

missxmelon Sep 18, 2014 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mareh (Post 23545703)
Also called the retention number in the wiki, and was offered 1K points, and another 1K after $500 in spending. I was on the fence, but decided to close it. I have other cards with annual fees at the moment.

What was your spend?

Tsukikage Sep 18, 2014 11:29 am

I called earlier today and got offered the 1k points + 500 more after 1k spend. I accepted because I tend to use this card for general spending more than others. Guess it's better than nothing. I probably put about 8k in spend on it throughout the year.

yOyOYoo Sep 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jjayakumar (Post 23534975)
Called a few weeks ago and received $200 statement credit.

Do you mean $20 statement credit? :confused:

uneeq Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Called the # in the wiki, offered 7k to keep the card, took it.

Edit - Personal SPG, about 40k spend so far this year.

Rykoshet Sep 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 23547517)
Called the # in the wiki, offered 7k to keep the card, took it.

Edit - Personal SPG, about 40k spend so far this year.

Assuming you only had SPG gold due to the 30k threshold, would you lose gold if you cancelled the card?

flguy Sep 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tsukikage (Post 23546407)
I called earlier today and got offered the 1k points + 500 more after 1k spend. I accepted because I tend to use this card for general spending more than others. Guess it's better than nothing. I probably put about 8k in spend on it throughout the year.

I called today and got same offer, I spend about 15,000, I declined and cancelled.

uneeq Sep 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rykoshet (Post 23548534)
Assuming you only had SPG gold due to the 30k threshold, would you lose gold if you cancelled the card?

I also have a plat so the 30k didn't make a difference , but I assume once you make gold, you stay gold till the expiration date. I doubt Amex would take the time to check and send spg notice to remove your gold.

controller1 Sep 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rykoshet (Post 23548534)

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 23548698)
. . . I assume once you make gold, you stay gold till the expiration date. I doubt Amex would take the time to check and send spg notice to remove your gold.

That is correct. The cardmember agreement does not state one loses the status gained through the card purchases when one ceases being a cardmember.

DC777Fan Sep 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Is the Wiki # the Amex retention general #, the credit (as opposed to charge) card # or the SPG specific #? Anyone know?

aujusco Sep 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by aujusco (Post 23507267)
Personal SPG card, opened in August 2013, so annual fee just got post.
Called today and the first rep said no bonus.
Called back and used the automatic feature to select "cancel the card". Chatted with the nice rep. She offered 3,000 Starpoints. My last year's spend was about $36k. The points will be posted in 5-8 weeks.
During the call, she commented how good of a job I was in using the card, and listed some of the different spends "utilities, grocery stores, department stores, etc." I wonder the retention is based on spend patten.

My points got posted on 9/16, just 6 days after the call. Yippee!!! ^

flyer4512 Sep 19, 2014 6:23 pm

I used the AMEX chat feature and asked for something to offset the annual fee.

She gave me 2k SPG points, says they post in 24- 48 hours

Took 3 minutes. My AF is not due until November so I wonder what would happen if I still cancelled, lol

mizzou miles Sep 19, 2014 7:36 pm

I must be stupid but I cant find the chat feature (so as to ask about the fee) on the (very painful) Amex website. I can see where to call and how to tweet them questions but that seems quite silly. Am I totally lame or is this site just lame. or both.

PS - using Safari. Please dont tell me this is an IE world

flyer4512 Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou miles (Post 23553341)
I must be stupid but I cant find the chat feature (so as to ask about the fee) on the (very painful) Amex website. I can see where to call and how to tweet them questions but that seems quite silly. Am I totally lame or is this site just lame. or both.

PS - using Safari. Please dont tell me this is an IE world

Click pay bill and the chat feature will show up. Sometimes it can take about 5 minutes

I'm on Firefox