Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Il Ciocco Tuscany Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

Shaner Corp. Expands To Italy With New Division, JV

Posted Today - 7:31:29 AM

STATE COLLEGE, PA—Shaner Corp. formed a new division, Shaner Italia, SRL, to own and operate hotels in Italy and executed its first joint-venture acquisition there.

The company acquired a major ownership position in Il Ciocco Hotel & Resort, a 180-room luxury resort in Barga in the Tuscany region. The hotel's original owners, the Marcucci family, will retain an ownership interest in the property.

Following a renovation, the hotel will convert to Marriott’s Renaissance brand under the name Renaissance Il Ciocco Tuscany Resort & Spa.

Shaner Ciocco, a subsidiary of Shaner Italia, will manage the hotel.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Cool! Realize it has to undergo renovation, but any idea on when it will open?

Cheers
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I see conflicting info, one screen says "opening 2012" another says "spring 2011"...my guess is 2012 is correct
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Summer 2012:

https://twitter.com/MarriottIntl/sta...59892512100352

http://news.marriott.com/2011/04/ren...portfolio.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I know it's being renovated, but it looks like you can still stay there

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...uscany-resort/
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Just a note for those of you who would consider it before 2012. When you try to make a reservation, there is a nice note at the top of the booking screen:

Please Note – This hotel does not participate in Marriott Rewards. This stay will not earn nights, points or miles or Elite benefits.
Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
That's a bummer this hotel will not participate in Marriott Rewards. I wonder if status with Marriott Rewards makes any difference in benefits during a stay.

I was looking for hotels between Florence and Genova and this one popped up. So even though it's a good ways from the coast, I'm seriously considering staying for a couple of days next June.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by CIT85
That's a bummer this hotel will not participate in Marriott Rewards.
Your presumption that the property will not participate in MR appears incorrect. The non-participation wording mentioned above appears to apply only to reservations made for on or before 1/31/2012. This delayed participation in MR would be consistent with some other properties which were reflagged as Renaissance and then renovated including, off-hand, the Ren in Columbus Ohio and the Renaissance Washington DC.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CIT85
I wonder if status with Marriott Rewards makes any difference in benefits during a stay.
Doubt it. Don't expect anything to kick in until 01/31/2012.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ohmark
Your presumption that the property will not participate in MR appears incorrect. The non-participation wording mentioned above appears to apply only to reservations made for on or before 1/31/2012. This delayed participation in MR would be consistent with some other properties which were reflagged as Renaissance and then renovated including, off-hand, the Ren in Columbus Ohio and the Renaissance Washington DC.
I called Marriott reservations asking about this hotel and 3rd person, 16 yo daughter in room. The agent said the hotel will not accept 3 poeple to a room, end of story. So this is now off my list.

I asked the agent what does it mean when the hotel does not participate in Marriott Rewards. She explained that this hotel is a partner hotel. So it remains to be seen if the hotel will participate in MR. I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:24 am
Suspended

Wanted to clarify the following: you will not earn points until this hotel is branded a Renaissance hotel, which it currently is not.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I am attending a conference at this property in May, 2012. Any updates on this resort and MR Plat benefits, e.g., upgrades, etc.?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
I am attending a conference at this property in May, 2012. Any updates on this resort and MR Plat benefits, e.g., upgrades, etc.?
You seem to go to a lot of conferences -- hope there's time for the day job!

I attended a conference here in July 2011 -- so no marriott branding in sight. It's a pretty remote setting, which makes it ideal for conferences: everyone is stuck on-site! It would need to undergo a fair bit of renovation to become 'Ren' level imo: I found it fairly basic, and would doubt it's fully ready by May. But Tuscany is a great location. Only downside (italy-wise) is that due to the location, if one actually wants to attend the conference, one ends up having all meals on-site. The food is pretty OK, but not comparable to decent restaurant offerings.

tb

PS great time of year to go!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by trueblu
You seem to go to a lot of conferences -- hope there's time for the day job!
That is my day job! In this case, they are paying my expenses, so who could resist a free trip to Tuscany. I am a bit confused by Marriott listing this hotel on their website, and the info I received showed the Marriott brand.

I attended a conference here in July 2011 -- so no marriott branding in sight. It's a pretty remote setting, which makes it ideal for conferences: everyone is stuck on-site! It would need to undergo a fair bit of renovation to become 'Ren' level imo: I found it fairly basic, and would doubt it's fully ready by May. But Tuscany is a great location. Only downside (italy-wise) is that due to the location, if one actually wants to attend the conference, one ends up having all meals on-site. The food is pretty OK, but not comparable to decent restaurant offerings.

tb

PS great time of year to go!
Isolation and trapping people on site is typical for this conference. In the past, they were all held during the summer at some very spartan boy's school in New Hampshire, complete with group showers, small beds and black flies. I'll take Tuscany!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, CO Silver, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
I am staying here for two nights in February, after the re-brand to Renaissance and will let you know if I get any Platinum benefits.

How continental is the continental breakfast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.