Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
I have found the autograph hotels to be very "unmarriott"
Used points in Savanah. Was given "room closet" room despite platinum premier. Manager actually said they give rooms based on $ paid

I wrote Marriott and included tape of conversation. Got letter GM replaced
Wow -- intense to include a recording. My understanding of Autograph Hotels is that they are not owned by Marriott and simply participate in the rewards and booking program. Some are high end hotels that have been in operation for a long time, others are just new hotels that are unique, but more so than a renaissance -- and more expensive. I think because they are usually not owned by big franchisees or corporate, they are unfamiliar with policies and also less inclined to reward members unless those members frequent that hotel. Basically they reap benefits of being part of program by getting more one off guests, but only reward the ones loyal to their hotel not the brand.

Curious, what made you record the conversation? Was it with the FDC?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by samosa
Wow -- intense to include a recording. My understanding of Autograph Hotels is that they are not owned by Marriott and simply participate in the rewards and booking program. Some are high end hotels that have been in operation for a long time, others are just new hotels that are unique, but more so than a renaissance -- and more expensive. I think because they are usually not owned by big franchisees or corporate, they are unfamiliar with policies and also less inclined to reward members unless those members frequent that hotel. Basically they reap benefits of being part of program by getting more one off guests, but only reward the ones loyal to their hotel not the brand.

Curious, what made you record the conversation? Was it with the FDC?
It was with the GM. I usually record such conversations, when legal, when I have c/o with xyz and talk to "boss" iPhone
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Change coming to PAG

Just got a new confirmation email today for a late October visit to a Courtyard and the PAG on it has changed.

It says 400 points and one Market item or tall Starbucks drink in the elite benefits section.

Is a wider change coming?

Rasheed
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by rasheed
Just got a new confirmation email today for a late October visit to a Courtyard and the PAG on it has changed.

It says 400 points and one Market item or tall Starbucks drink in the elite benefits section.

Is a wider change coming?

Rasheed
I think this has been the case for a while now (I haven't been to one that has a Starbucks in so I can't comment on that).

It's A LOT better than PAG in Courtyards in Europe.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
the courtyards ive stayed at have been doing both for some time. maybe cheaper than "forgetting"
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Only $10 F&B voucher choice is eligible for platinum guarantee?

I have stayed at a particular hotel 15+ times in the last couple of months. This morning, I noticed that I did not receive the welcome points for this last stay (and in addition, they only gave me base & platinum points based on my room rate, not my parking or F&B charges). In reviewing my account, I noted that I also did not receive the platinum welcome points for a stay at the same hotel one month ago.

I called customer service and they called the hotel, then correctly adjusted all of the points.

I asked whether the $100 compensation applied and was told that it did not, only that it would apply if I asked for the $10 F&B voucher. Is this correct? I have been reading some of this thread and have not seen this specifically mentioned, but apologize if it was.

I find the platinum welcome gift page a bit unclear as it is written. It is entitled "Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift" and states "Get more when you check in. As a Platinum member, you’ll receive a special gift upon arrival at all participating hotels, offering you a choice of an amenity gift or bonus points. (Amenity gift not available at The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION and Marriott Vacation Club locations.) If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies."

So, when I read it, you receive a "special gift" which is a choice of an "amenity gift" or bonus points. I am told by CS that if I choose the "gift" (perhaps they mean the amenity gift, because the "special gift" is the choice between points and the "amenity gift"), and if I do not receive it, then I receive the compensation. Otherwise, no dice.

True?

(If it matters, this is a regular Marriott hotel, not JW, not RI, etc.)

Last edited by sinfonia; Nov 8, 2016 at 9:25 am Reason: Added detail
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The guarantee only kicks in if

a) you're not asked your choice (500 points or $10FB voucher in US or 500points or food/beverage amenity int'l) or if
b) you do not receive the $10FB voucher/food beverage amenity.

This is because you have to request the compensation before check-out. Since the 500 points post after checkout, the compensation doesn't apply.

It usually just takes a quick call (or email) to MR cust svc & they'll apply the 500 points to your account.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:50 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I have a valid claim, but can't seem to get resolution. Property doesn't want to pay out claiming they sent everything over, but I was never asked at check-in, and never got any points at all after check-out despite my number being loaded into the system. Smh.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I have a valid claim, but can't seem to get resolution. Property doesn't want to pay out claiming they sent everything over, but I was never asked at check-in, and never got any points at all after check-out despite my number being loaded into the system. Smh.
If you weren't asked at check-in, you needed to claim the guarantee before check-out - saying you weren't asked at check-in. You were then entitled due to not being asked at all.

Post check-out, you lost the opp to collect the guarantee for not being asked.

Re: points not posting after the stay, there is no guarantee re: points not posting after the stay. At that point just call MR cust svc & ask them to post them. That normally only takes a few seconds.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:42 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you weren't asked at check-in, you needed to claim the guarantee before check-out - saying you weren't asked at check-in. You were then entitled due to not being asked at all.

Post check-out, you lost the opp to collect the guarantee for not being asked.

Re: points not posting after the stay, there is no guarantee re: points not posting after the stay. At that point just call MR cust svc & ask them to post them. That normally only takes a few seconds.

Cheers.
Yeah. That doesn't sit well with me at all; especially, considering the fact those T+Cs are buried. I've filed a complaint w/ the States of New York and Utah and will let them take up the issue since Marriott has done nothing but make me run around in circles w/ dubious claims that they've created files and contacted the property.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by uxb
Yeah. That doesn't sit well with me at all; especially, considering the fact those T+Cs are buried. I've filed a complaint w/ the States of New York and Utah and will let them take up the issue since Marriott has done nothing but make me run around in circles w/ dubious claims that they've created files and contacted the property.
Seriously think the States of New York and Utah are going to get involved over a GIFT that voluntarily offered to you? Get real and get over it.

I'm more then ever convinced that the delivered F&B option went away because of all the $100 claims for non-delivery. My batting average was dismal and I stopped collecting after the first 3...
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Well good luck w/ your complaints w/ NY & Utah. You might get a form letter back, but not much more than that. All Marriott has to do is point out that the T&Cs are available on their website. It's not Marriott's fault you haven't read them.

You are not entitled to the guarantee because you didn't make a claim before check-out re: them not asking which option you wanted. Again, that's on you.

Re: the 500 points, you can get those easily. Just call & tell them they didn't post.

I disagree w/ Joshua re: why the domestic food/beverage amenity went away. In many years of travel w/ Marriott I had only a couple of times the amenity didn't arrive. I think Marriott decided (and I posted this a few years ago) to go to $10FB to offer something, but hope to get something as well (folk spending more than $10). That's just my opinion though. Overseas, the food/beverage still exists.

However, if state boards/AGs get frivolous complaints like yours I could see Marriott just going to points only & eliminating the guarantee entirely, so thanks for that.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I disagree w/ Joshua re: why the domestic food/beverage amenity went away. In many years of travel w/ Marriott I had only a couple of times the amenity didn't arrive. I think Marriott decided (and I posted this a few years ago) to go to $10FB to offer something, but hope to get something as well (folk spending more than $10). That's just my opinion though. Overseas, the food/beverage still exists.
I agree. I actually used to LOVE the platinum amenity, even when it went to a cardboard box with relatively standard stuff inside it. Then when it was a card at the front desk where I could choose a food item and a beverage item, I still looked forward to it.

And on the very few occasions it didn't show, I simply had to ask the front desk and it was delivered without question. To me, the $10 F&B credit is insulting and now I always choose the points.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:35 am

So we arrived at 9pm in the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott and chose an ice cream arrival gift to pay off our son for a long travel day on an overnight layover. After 30 minutes I call to check on it, and they promised it would arrive soon. 30 minutes later still nothing. My son is dropping at this point, so I called to cancel the never arriving treat. The agent immediately states that she would put the points in my account. Is that a situation where you could claim on the platinum guarantee? I was treated well otherwise, so I didn't feel the need to push, but was curious if that counts, and if not, how long waiting in general do you think would qualify?

By the way, my son ate 4 Hagen Dazs between the lounge and the Air China flight, so he forgave them by lunch time! Those flight attendants just loved him too much! No comments on the parents who let him eat 4 please!!!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by joeags
So we arrived at 9pm in the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott and chose an ice cream arrival gift to pay off our son for a long travel day on an overnight layover. After 30 minutes I call to check on it, and they promised it would arrive soon. 30 minutes later still nothing. My son is dropping at this point, so I called to cancel the never arriving treat. The agent immediately states that she would put the points in my account. Is that a situation where you could claim on the platinum guarantee? I was treated well otherwise, so I didn't feel the need to push, but was curious if that counts, and if not, how long waiting in general do you think would qualify?
The few times I collected on it, I waited until checkout so their hands were basically tied, no way to say "we'll deliver it now".

Again, overall, the delivery rate success was so bad that I started feeling bad about collecting the $ and would do what you did and just call if I really needed it at that time. I loved seeing the flair some properties would put into the deliveries. The 500 points or $10 credit is an insult, IMO but YOWW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.