Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty65
If you want to take the risk, I would probably book the Villa for the first 2 nights and free room for the next 2 and then explain that you love the villa so much you would like to remain - how much would it cost. The most they would charge you is the same $1000, but they would likely charge you less. The only downside is if they sell out the villa, but you can still pay for a smaller villa. This makes it more likely for them to see that allowing a cash upgrade is extra cash for your stay.

If you didn't want to risk switching rooms, you can just use 4 free nights and then negotiate how you can get upgraded. If they won't, you can buy the nicest remaining villa for the 4 nights and not use the basic room.

If you decide to waste the free nights, maybe you use one on day trip to Nusa Dua and use one of the hotels there as a day room for you to take advantage of the nicer beach. And pick up a plat amenity :-)
Good ideas. I think we will stick with the villa, we booked last February and got a good rate (vs what's available today). Plus, after learning that Ocean Facing Rooms (which we might have been upgraded to) tend to be noisy, sounds like we will rest better in the villa. Maybe I can take a quick trip to Disney before the free getaway promo expires on 12/21. Thanks again for the input.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
How is the nightlife here during the week? I have a stay here in September, arriving on a Monday, and departing Friday. Will it still be a nice scene, or will it be quiet?
It was pretty dead when we stayed there on a Tues-Thurs recently. We enjoyed the beats, had a few drinks, whilst lounging around ... and there were probably 4-6 other couples at anyone time, who were doing exactly the same thing we were.

I didn't mind the deadness to be honest, especially after a long day exploring and all. It was great to just chill out.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the update. Hopefully there are some bars/clubs close to the hotel that we can check out.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Thinking of trying this hotel for a quick weekend getaway.

I called up the hotel directly to ask some questions and was told all ocean facing rooms and suites face the Woo-Bar, which played loud music until about 3AM in the morning. When pressed if the music will be disturbing for sleeping guests, the reservation agent gave a vague answer, just saying that "some noise will get to the room, but it's not too loud".

Granted, this is a W hotel, so this is expected but I am a light sleeper and will be annoyed to be kept awake until 3AM. For those who have stayed at at ocean front rooms and suites, is noise a problem in this resort?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Thinking of trying this hotel for a quick weekend getaway.

I called up the hotel directly to ask some questions and was told all ocean facing rooms and suites face the Woo-Bar, which played loud music until about 3AM in the morning. When pressed if the music will be disturbing for sleeping guests, the reservation agent gave a vague answer, just saying that "some noise will get to the room, but it's not too loud".

Granted, this is a W hotel, so this is expected but I am a light sleeper and will be annoyed to be kept awake until 3AM. For those who have stayed at at ocean front rooms and suites, is noise a problem in this resort?
Yes, you will be able to hear it, and we were pretty far from the bar. It didn't bother me after the first night. Actually, I don't really remember hearing music after the first night. Did they tell you that the bar plays it every night?

Mike
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE
....Granted, this is a W hotel, so this is expected but I am a light sleeper and will be annoyed to be kept awake until 3AM. For those who have stayed at at ocean front rooms and suites, is noise a problem in this resort?
Woobar is to the left of the property when you fact the ocean. It is not too loud if you are near the right end of the property. You can request to be away from Woobar in your reservation.@:-)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Woobar is to the left of the property when you fact the ocean. It is not too loud if you are near the right end of the property. You can request to be away from Woobar in your reservation.@:-)
How about the villas? I'm staying in a couple of weeks, hoping for a restful visit (at least while sleeping). Any guidance?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
How about the villas? I'm staying in a couple of weeks, hoping for a restful visit (at least while sleeping). Any guidance?
You won't hear anything from Woo Bar in the Villas, they are a long way away on the opposite side of the property. The main problem with the Villas is trying to walk to and from them in the dark on what is a badly designed surface badly lit.

When we had a Villa my sister was in an ocean facing room not far from Woo Bar but said they had no problem with being kept awake. The music is playing, but it's not that loud to be fair.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
You won't hear anything from Woo Bar in the Villas, they are a long way away on the opposite side of the property. The main problem with the Villas is trying to walk to and from them in the dark on what is a badly designed surface badly lit.

When we had a Villa my sister was in an ocean facing room not far from Woo Bar but said they had no problem with being kept awake. The music is playing, but it's not that loud to be fair.
If I drink enough Bintang, perhaps I'll be the first guess to smoothly navigate the rocky path to the villas. The two phenomenon will average out.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:40 pm

What's the crowd here like? I'm used to Ws in big cities, so if this is all honeymooners and older folks it would be a big let down.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Rewards Platinum AC SE100K, UA 1K
Talking Last week at the W Bali ... Exceptional

My W Hotel review
I cross posted my review on this thread .. I tried to include everything but the formatting just didn't want to come across ... so I've put a small excerpt ...

================================================== =======

I like the W concept … it’s funky, stylish and edgy. I’ve stayed at a couple W hotels and to me, this is now the shining beacon of the Starwood chain. St. Regis is obviously the high end of luxury, but I think they cater to the older, monied crowd, while the W brand caters to the hipper traveller, who doesn’t want to be stuck with a set of “old farts”.

Plaudit #1 … Sheraton Towers, Singapore
Plaudit #2 … Le Meridien Jakarta, Indonesia.
Plaudit #3 … Sheraton Mustika, Indonesia
No Plaudits #4 … The Lagoon, Resort and Spa, Nusa Dua, Indonesia

From Nusa Dua, we were told that the W Bali “was just as nice” as the Lagoon Nusa Dua. This I can confirm is absolute rubbish - the W Bali is a significantly SUPERIOR experience in every way possible.

Your first experience of entering into the W Bali compound along a thin nondescript alley, creates a surprise of the visual treat coming into the hotel, whether in the day or night. Checking into the lobby has the feel of a posh nightclub, complete with lighting, DJ and welcome bar. Typical Platinum upgrade success having booked the room using “Free nights” and we were moved to one of the “Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreats“, we didn’t get a suite upgrade and I put off forcing the issue until I saw the room.

My W Hotel review
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
The main problem with the Villas is trying to walk to and from them in the dark on what is a badly designed surface badly lit.
Good point. Send the kids first, preferably with a flashlight.

There's a couple of good cantinas right in front of the suites.

Originally Posted by greatwave
What's the crowd here like? I'm used to Ws in big cities, so if this is all honeymooners and older folks it would be a big let down.
I was 38 and felt like the oldest one there. It's not exactly the same as, say, the W NYC, but it's as close to a W feel as you can get in Bali.

Mike
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mikeef
Yes, you will be able to hear it, and we were pretty far from the bar. It didn't bother me after the first night. Actually, I don't really remember hearing music after the first night. Did they tell you that the bar plays it every night?

Mike
Yes, the reservation agent that I talked to said the bar plays music every night until about 3AM in the morning. I presume it gets louder when there is a party or special function going on.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by naparima

Your first experience of entering into the W Bali compound along a thin nondescript alley, creates a surprise of the visual treat coming into the hotel, whether in the day or night. Checking into the lobby has the feel of a posh nightclub, complete with lighting, DJ and welcome bar. Typical Platinum upgrade success having booked the room using “Free nights” and we were moved to one of the “Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreats“, we didn’t get a suite upgrade and I put off forcing the issue until I saw the room.

My W Hotel review
Great Review! Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:10 am

W Seminyak is great

Just had a four-night stay on rewards (free-resort nights promo) - to my surprise, was upgraded from standard room to 1BR villa as SPG Platinum/Ambassador member (apparently the ambassador thing really helps for upgrades - they contact GM before arrival). Service for Platinum was excellent, was greeted by manager upon check-in etc. etc...

The hotel is really, really nice - I love it. Great pool, great restaurants - good spa (while separated - annoying to not be able to use steam bath/jacuzzi with GF), good fitness room.

Things to know:
The walkways to villas are - as many pointed out before - not walkable - BUT there are 24h golf-carts available to use - make a quick call and they arrive within 60 seconds - why walk? (on the way to the villa they are also available at the entrance and lobby).

Don't expect to go swimming in the ocean - it is VERY dangerous - I'm a strong swimmer but was still afraid to swim out more than 20m off the shore - waves are huge and current is strong.

Don't expect a Bali hotel - this is a W hotel - all the way. From design, service, prices etc - same as in South Beach, Barcelona etc. It is quite posh and attracting younger crowd (perfectly fits me to be honest) - I could see that my parents would not enjoy it here.

Also: this is not really a place to which I would take kids ( = it's not a family-oriented resort at all).

The villa is nice - very private, with pool. What I would complain about when booking it would be that it is only one room (as others pointed out) - I usually stay in suites because I can work/be on the phone and my GF can watch tv/sleep - this is not possible in the villas - if I come back again would either book a Suite (none were available this time) or a larger villa - of course this time I did not expect anything since on the points booking.

The pool is nice for refreshing, though not for long swims. In general, this is a nice, luxury W resort as it should be. Just don't expect to feel like "Bali" while there. Many good restaurants (Ku-De-Ta, Metis, Cafe Bali (very good!)) are nearby.

All-in all: great resort - however, if it's your first time in Bali make sure you
a) either stay at a different hotel as well (I stayed for a few nights in Sanur/Ubud/Nusa Dua)
b) take a driver and explore the island - to get a full impression of Bali.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.