Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, Macau [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, Macau [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Plat
Trying to book this hotel for a family trip (5 rooms total for 2-3 nights) and one of us is SPG platinum. Just wondering the chances of being upgraded to club level for all with status, or we should use suite upgrade cert on the safe side, or book club level (or standard room with breakfast)?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Expansion in progress

Saw this at the property page:

Hotel Expansion: January 2, 2014 – December 31, 2014

From January 2 to December 31, 2014, the hotel will be adding more than 100 suites. During this transition, audible impacts from enhancement works might occur at some times during the day. Please contact the hotel for further information.

According to their website, they have 3,896 guest rooms and suites. So after expansion they would probably hit the 4k mark. 4000 rooms/suites, they need to hire more housekeeping crew, hope they don't get overworked to death...

Last edited by lcpteck; Apr 22, 2014 at 3:00 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by shihyin
Trying to book this hotel for a family trip (5 rooms total for 2-3 nights) and one of us is SPG platinum. Just wondering the chances of being upgraded to club level for all with status, or we should use suite upgrade cert on the safe side, or book club level (or standard room with breakfast)?
On a previous trip with my family (5 adults + 3 children under 12), we booked 2 connecting normal rooms. I used my SNAs to upgrade to 2 connecting suites which then allows all of us to enjoy the club lounge facilties.

I believe only pax in club rooms and/or suites and/or SPG platinum can enjoy the club lounge facilities. Chances of SPG platinum to upgraded to club room and/or suites are very high. But only for the room occupied by the SPG platinum member. For the other rooms, either you have to book club level or request to a paid upgrade during check-in.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by meremale
On a previous trip with my family (5 adults + 3 children under 12), we booked 2 connecting normal rooms. I used my SNAs to upgrade to 2 connecting suites which then allows all of us to enjoy the club lounge facilties.

I believe only pax in club rooms and/or suites and/or SPG platinum can enjoy the club lounge facilities. Chances of SPG platinum to upgraded to club room and/or suites are very high. But only for the room occupied by the SPG platinum member. For the other rooms, either you have to book club level or request to a paid upgrade during check-in.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We ended up booking this way (all under the name of the plat member) using the promotion of pay 2 nights stay 3 nights:

One reservation for three rooms, trying to applied SNA to one room (turns out need to call CS)
Two reservations for one room, was able to applied SNA right after the reservation online.

Our hope is that at lease three rooms occupied by our family members can be upgraded using SNA, the plat member can get complimentary upgrade, and the last room to buy up when check in. The promotion only allows us to buy the standard room, not club level. Hope it will work out...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald
SPG Plat experience:

Had 3 two night weekend stays at the Sheraton Macau over the last 2 months. First stay used suite nights, pre-upgraded to 900sq ft Exec Suite, was additionally upgraded to 1350sq ft deluxe suite at check in. The deluxe suite is is very big with the separate dining room and theater room.

Second stay didn't use suite nights, was upgraded to Exec suite at check-in . Third stay used suite nights, pre-upgraded to Exec suite again and when I checked in at the club lounge, and after inquiring about a further room upgrade, I was told their deluxe suites quite full that weekend so Exec suite is the max upgrade. Exec suite still quite nice, i really like the extra large en-suite bathroom and the half bathroom at the entrance/foyer.

Good service during all stays, I liked each time I was automatically given 4pm platinum checkout without any asking on my side. Not a fan of how huge the hotel is (to be expected with 3,888 rooms) but nice soundproofing, qualify of furniture, and rooms.

I rate the Club lounge offerings above average, good selection and good service of hot/cold foods during 7-10a breakfast and 5:30-7.30p evening cocktails.

Much like Vegas, the weekend rates in Macau are much higher than weekdays. Especially for a short notice reservation, the rates tend to be quite high.

(~$220 USD/night all in if booking 1-2 weeks out, $300USD/night if booking within a couple days of arrival. Weekday rates can be as low as $150/night)
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:59 am

I will be staying at this hotel 11/22-24 for the Pacquiao fight, and I currently have SPG Gold status automatically through my Amex Plat card. Is it best to do 10k SPG per night or 5k + $75 per night? Also, could you send me to the thread that explains the best way to MS SPG points and also how to get Platinum SPG status quickly? I spoke to CS last night and they have a challenge for 18 nights (or was that stays?) within 3 months. How would I go about doing that which is cost effective and wherein the upfront cost is offset by the perks of being an SPG Plat member?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thailand is very cost effective.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ajandraschell
I will be staying at this hotel 11/22-24 for the Pacquiao fight, and I currently have SPG Gold status automatically through my Amex Plat card. Is it best to do 10k SPG per night or 5k + $75 per night? Also, could you send me to the thread that explains the best way to MS SPG points and also how to get Platinum SPG status quickly? I spoke to CS last night and they have a challenge for 18 nights (or was that stays?) within 3 months. How would I go about doing that which is cost effective and wherein the upfront cost is offset by the perks of being an SPG Plat member?
If speed is the essence and you don't care about 10 SNAs, then yes, doing a challenge is the best way for FIRST TIME Plat achievement. The cheapest, ahem... I mean "cost effective" way to do that is to find a Four Points near you (if available), book however many nights you need (say you are already getting 8 nights from business travels, you just needed 10 more nights), at their low rates. There's a Four Points near me that are booking at $50 per night. So 10 nights at $50 is $500. You don't have to stay there, check-in, leave, check-out 10 days later. So essentially you've bought a Plat for $500 USD

As for doing points-and-cash or straight points. Again, what do you value more, your points or your cash? For me I value my points because I can allocate my points to AA and get 25% bonus AA points when I do a transfer and I fly Business Class with that. There are some threads here with calculations that cash-and-points are the best economical way of spending points. However, if cash is tight with you, going straight points is the way to go.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, you can book 3 rooms at the same hotel for 1 night and get 3 stay credits.

I find I can create my own C&P for cheaper than what SPG wants. For example I'm in HNL for 2 nights. All points reservation is 20K/night. C&P is 10K pts + $180. I found a BRG for $192 and booked 1 night using 20K pts. Voila, I now have C&P of 10K pts + $96/ night.

Even if I paid the asking rate of $325, it would work out to 10K pts + $163, assuming a 2 night reservation.

If you were staying 5 nights, the 5th free would change the value proposition.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
If speed is the essence and you don't care about 10 SNAs, then yes, doing a challenge is the best way for FIRST TIME Plat achievement. The cheapest, ahem... I mean "cost effective" way to do that is to find a Four Points near you (if available), book however many nights you need (say you are already getting 8 nights from business travels, you just needed 10 more nights), at their low rates. There's a Four Points near me that are booking at $50 per night. So 10 nights at $50 is $500. You don't have to stay there, check-in, leave, check-out 10 days later. So essentially you've bought a Plat for $500 USD

As for doing points-and-cash or straight points. Again, what do you value more, your points or your cash? For me I value my points because I can allocate my points to AA and get 25% bonus AA points when I do a transfer and I fly Business Class with that. There are some threads here with calculations that cash-and-points are the best economical way of spending points. However, if cash is tight with you, going straight points is the way to go.
Very interesting. First off, what's SNA? I may have to start January when prices are down, but it should give me enough time from when I start off in Macau this mid-Nov. They back date a month anyways, so I'll have until February to complete. I'm in the Los Angeles area, so the prices right now are over $100 per night. :/ That's a great strategy though. Has the status been worth it to you? Upgrades and perks are worth it?

I value my cash more honestly, as my points and miles are earned at a less than $0.01 per point ratio. Cash is definitely not tight, but I'd rather have it in investments or my accounts. Lol Would you happen to know the most efficient ways to make SPG or MR at a less than $0.01 per point ratio? I have Chase UR down, but haven't found a way to get the others.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Also, you can book 3 rooms at the same hotel for 1 night and get 3 stay credits.

I find I can create my own C&P for cheaper than what SPG wants. For example I'm in HNL for 2 nights. All points reservation is 20K/night. C&P is 10K pts + $180. I found a BRG for $192 and booked 1 night using 20K pts. Voila, I now have C&P of 10K pts + $96/ night.

Even if I paid the asking rate of $325, it would work out to 10K pts + $163, assuming a 2 night reservation.

If you were staying 5 nights, the 5th free would change the value proposition.
Nice! Could you help me with that step-by-step process that you did for my hotel with BRG? I'm not familiar with this.
And, where did you get $163 from? Do you mean $133? Assuming you paid at $325-$192(BRG) = $133.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice! Could you help me with that step-by-step process that you did for my hotel with BRG? I'm not familiar with this.
And, where did you get $163 from? Do you mean $133? Assuming you paid at $325-$192(BRG) = $133.
BRG = best rate guarantee

Find a lower price and SPG will match it and give you 2000 bonus pts or another 10% off.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

I'm saying even without a BRG, the lowest available rate was $325. So if I paid that for 1st night and 20K pts for second night, it works out to an average of $162.50 and 10K pts/night.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:22 pm

BRG = best rate guarantee

Find a lower price and SPG will match it and give you 2000 bonus pts or another 10% off.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

I'm saying even without a BRG, the lowest available rate was $325. So if I paid that for 1st night and 20K pts for second night, it works out to an average of $162.50 and 10K pts/night.
Oh I see. Great! And, what is the going rate for SPG points per $? I'd like to use that as a guide for choosing between the points or 10% off. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I see. Great! And, what is the going rate for SPG points per $? I'd like to use that as a guide for choosing between the points or 10% off. Thanks.
I think you can buy them for 3.5 cents/pt, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:41 pm

I think you can buy them for 3.5 cents/pt, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Would you happen to know the most efficient ways to make SPG or MR at a less than $0.01 per point ratio? I have Chase UR down, but haven't found a way to get the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.