Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel Contact information

The email address (as of April, 2019) to contact the hotel concierge in advance of your stay is: [email protected]
They can help make restaurant reservations, etc.
This is not on the website.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
Checked in last night for my third stay at the St. Regis Osaka. On arrival I was whisked up to my room and checked in there. Oddly, the woman told me happily "you have been upgraded from a deluxe to grand deluxe room". Thing is, I booked and paid for a grand deluxe room. I told the woman "... but I paid for a grand deluxe room" and she said "oh...then you must have been upgraded to a better grand deluxe room". Though it's a standard grand deluxe room on 27th floor. Wonder if I should talk to front desk about that?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:01 am

BTW ... 2 thumbs up for Qbricks. A small but very comfy bar with friendly service for non native speakers. We ordered local "Mino" (?) beer from Osaka, fried calamari and fish & chips and enjoyed all of the orders. Definitely punch Qbricks on google maps before heading out as we went in the evening and I was sure I took a wrong turn somewhere but sure enough saw it at the end of the road right before heading back. Will definitely go back. The sushi restaurant someone posted earlier in this thread was closed Friday evening when we checked it out and closed all day Saturday so next time will try there.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
luna6..beer is "Minoh",which is an area of Osaka where the brewery is located: Minoh Beer (箕面ビール). One of my favorite Japanese microbrews {ji-biiru}, however they can be somewhat inconsistant at times between brews.
Next time you return to Kyoto send me a PM here and I can recommend other ji-biiru beers & bars for you, and perhaps we can meet up for one too.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luna6
BTW ... 2 thumbs up for Qbricks. A small but very comfy bar with friendly service for non native speakers. We ordered local "Mino" (?) beer from Osaka, fried calamari and fish & chips and enjoyed all of the orders. Definitely punch Qbricks on google maps before heading out as we went in the evening and I was sure I took a wrong turn somewhere but sure enough saw it at the end of the road right before heading back. Will definitely go back. The sushi restaurant someone posted earlier in this thread was closed Friday evening when we checked it out and closed all day Saturday so next time will try there.
So I tried the sushi place right next to the hotel for lunch and it was pretty damn good. very cute mom and pop shop with reasonable prices for the set menus.

Also, coming in on a Sunday evening was kind of a pain as far as finding things that are open. That sushi place was closed, so I listened to a recommendation from the butler/concierge and was pointed to Sakuichi, a 1 michelin-starred restaurant serving traditional japanese food. holy cow it was good. sat at the counter by myself and the staff had no problem communicating to me in english. cost me a cool 10000 yen with one alcoholic drink, but it was worth it.

I went to q-brick afterwards at around 10:30 but they were kind of dead and getting ready to close. they told me "only one drink", so i quickly had a glass of beer and headed back to my hotel room.

As for the hotel itself, it's probably one of the nicest properties i've stayed at in Japan, over the Okura or Imperial in Tokyo, (imperial may have it beat in terms of location, but debatable). Much nicer than the Hilton or Westin in Osaka too. I felt very welcome and recognized even with my middle SPG Gold status (free box of chocolates). I hope I have the opportunity to stay at this place again, but usually rooms go for $400.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:45 am

Next time you return to Kyoto send me a PM here and I can recommend other ji-biiru beers & bars for you
Thank you. I think I'll be back in Kyoto in July.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Created wikipost for SPG Instant Awards.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Thank you. I think I'll be back in Kyoto in July.
Bungalow is a nice ji-biru bar in downtown Kyoto. I was there two weeks ago. great standing bar on the first floor and not awkward at all to be there by yourself. upstairs is more for groups. Food was pretty tasty, upscale belgian style bar food with a Japanese twist.

I'm very sad that Tadg's is closed though. I couldn't find any good ji-biru bars on kiyamachi dori along the river to close the night.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
No, it really doesn't. It's a Cat6 property, so it's 20-25k per night depending on if the night is deemed high season, or not. As the site says to call in, it means standard rooms aren't available, and it'll be *even more* points.

That's a lot of points to save $4.45 on forex fees!
So I have a reservation for one night in July when the rate I booked was ~21,000JPY or ~$205 inclusive of taxes. Just took a look and saw the points rate is now 12,000 (I didn't see it on the original list of adjustments but see its there now). Anyway was going to redeem Arrival points for this, but just wanted to see what people think if its worth redeeming Starwood points? I'm Gold but have never redeemed SPG points before. Leaning towards standing pat. Are odds of an upgrade better on a cash stay than points stay? Thanks!

Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
So I have a reservation for one night in July when the rate I booked was ~21,000JPY or ~$205 inclusive of taxes. Just took a look and saw the points rate is now 12,000 (I didn't see it on the original list of adjustments but see its there now). Anyway was going to redeem Arrival points for this, but just wanted to see what people think if its worth redeeming Starwood points? I'm Gold but have never redeemed SPG points before. Leaning towards standing pat. Are odds of an upgrade better on a cash stay than points stay? Thanks!

From what is posted by the Platinum members, seems most of the upgrades is to the next level Grand Deluxe Rooms and seldom suites (has any Platinum member ever got upgraded to a suite at this property?). As an SPG Gold, I'm sure our chances are even slimmer.

I don't see a difference if it's an award or revenue stay besides the guarantee of the bedding type. But I guess it's always up to the property to decide.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:50 am

I booked deluxe rooms and got upgraded to a grand deluxe once and a corner deluxe room the other time. I then booked a grand deluxe room to see what kind of upgrade I would get and I got "upgraded" to a higher level floor. After my last stay at the Westin Osaka, I'll be staying there from now on when I go to Osaka. Much better platinum recognition.

Last edited by luna6; Apr 19, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:54 am

I booked deluxe rooms and got upgraded to a grand deluxe once and a corner deluxe room the other time. I then booked a grand deluxe room to see what kind of upgrade I would get and I got "upgraded" to a higher level floor. After my last stay at the Westin Osaka, I'll be staying there from now on when I go to Osaka. Much better platinum recognition.
I'm guessing for Westin Osaka, there's a better chance for a suite?

Looks like St. Regis doesn't like Platinums in their suites unless it's paid for. There goes our Platinum upgrade benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:01 am

I would give St. Regis a shot if SNA's are available, otherwise I wouldn't bother if you want an upgrade to a suite.

I also always get this claustrophobic/boxed in feel at the St. Regis. Probably because the smallish lobby, st. regis bar that has just a few couches and the rectangular shape of their rooms. They do have really good service though. I've only stayed at the Westin Osaka once, but they upgraded me from a regular room to a corner room (could be considered a suite) with separate work area and lots of windows. Really enjoyed the room. Much better bang for the buck as well.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:10 am

I would give St. Regis a shot if SNA's are available, otherwise I wouldn't bother if you want an upgrade to a suite.

I also always get this claustrophobic/boxed in feel at the St. Regis. Probably because the smallish lobby, st. regis bar that has just a few couches and the rectangular shape of their rooms. They do have really good service though. I've only stayed at the Westin Osaka once, but they upgraded me from a regular room to a corner room (could be considered a suite) with separate work area and lots of windows. Really enjoyed the room. Much better bang for the buck as well.
Too bad I won't have access to SNAs (Can't hit 50 nights).

I was thinking either a 5 night award stay here or at St. Regis Shenzhen using my gold gift 25% off. I would qualify for Platinum by end of next month.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:23 am

If your intent on St. Regis, I just came back from 7 nights in Bangkok and stayed 6 days at the St. Regis Bangkok. I like the St. Regis Bangkok a lot and will definitely go back. Would recommend giving them a thought if you haven't considered them yet.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I should preface this by saying that I really, really like SR Osaka. Great decor, amazing breakfast, and, at those ¥16-18k rates they frequently have (and now, as a Cat 5, a good use of points if rates are high), unbeatable value for a SR. That said, the suite situation is problematic. Last year, I had SNA confirmed, and upon arrival they told me, "sorry, not available." They promised me a suite "next time" (without SNA), and it took three more visits for that elusive suite to finally materialize. I'm not quite sure if they're intentionally stingy -- I think, instead, they truly sell out of suites or give preference to their own frequent guests. IMO, the suites are not that spectacular, and unless you need that 8-people sitting area, you'll be fine with a grand deluxe room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.