Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Ottawa Marriott [Master Thread]

Any recent reports regarding the Ottawa (Ontario) Marriott? I did not see a thread dedicated to this property. There have been some harsh reviews recently on Trip Advisor. I know the place is being renovated, any info on when this renovation will be completed? What rooms (on what floors) have been renovated and what remain to be completed? What room should I ask for if I email the general manager?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Personally I'd suggest the CY. It's in the heart of the Byward market. Walking distance to scads of restaurants, pubs, shopping etc.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, Mileage Plus Silver
I work down the street from the hotel and have been in there for lunch and dinner quite a few times. The renovations going on in the lobby are quite extensive right now and there are areas in the Merlot Restaurant at the top of the hotel that definitely need a going over. The area gets pretty deserted at night and therefore would recommend the RI or the CY if you want to be closer to the action.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
As far as I know, the renovations are limited to the ground floor - the lobby and the former restaurant/bar. I don't think any guestrooms are being redecorated. If I recall, the work will continue over the winter.

Ask for a corner room - they are larger than the others. Some of the higher floors have very nice views over the river. Heidi (evening) and Lisa (breakfast) in the Concierge Lounge are fabulous. generally, the staff are very helpful and service is good.

How much time does anyone spend in the lobby, anyway?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:12 pm

Ottawa Marriott Renovations

Hello closecover. Thank you for considering us for your upcoming stay in Ottawa.

The renovations are restricted to the ground level where we are transforming our lobby and street-level restaurant.

Renovations will be completed by November 1st at which time we will be unveiling our new state-of-the-art open concept lobby as well as our day/night bar and restaurant, Spin Kitchen & Bar.

We look forward to welcoming you.
Ottawa Marriott Management
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I'm considering changing hotels to stay at the Marriott. I'm currently at the Sheraton and it is quite outdated - the decor in the hallways and rooms is seriously from the 80s. No wifi. No upgrade. These kinds of things are important when your wife is with you and will be staying in the hotel while you're at work all day.

Looks like the Marriott is a better property but maybe not in the most happening part of town.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
I just stayed at this property the weekend of March 5. I had no problems at all. If you want to walk right out the door and be in the market, then stay at the Courtyard. If you don't mind the 10 to 15 minute walk, then stick with this.

Room was your standard FS Marriott room. Lounge was closed on the weekend but I id receive breakfast vouchers. Staff and bartenders in the lobby bar/restaurant were excellent. If back in town again, I would stay there again without a doubt. I did not see any renovation work taking place so I assume it has all been completed.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by henrymilathy
If you are not updated about the renovation of that restaurant then ask to your relatives who lives near by there.They will definitely aware of it..And for more detailing just read the blogs and reviews of that restaurant..which are available online..Surely you'll get some good stuff..
First, welcome to FT!

Second, this thread was started 2 years ago so my guess is the restaurant renovation is done

But I just now noticed that as of a year ago they were offering brekkie coupons when the lounge was closed, so I'll update the exec lounge sticky w/ that date/info.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Personally I'd suggest the CY. It's in the heart of the Byward market. Walking distance to scads of restaurants, pubs, shopping etc.
I can confirm the CY Downtown (at Byward Market) is right in the middle of the action with plenty of pubs & restaurants nearby.
As a low silver elite I got plenty of welcome gifts (breakfast for 1 person/1 night, bottles of water).

I can't compare with the FS Marriott but I can't say anything bad about the CY Downtown.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just stayed there for a night last week. One of the worst full service Marriott's that I have been to. The evening snacks in the lounge are probably the absolute minimum required by the brand. The breakfast was better, however. I had problem with the hotels wireless connection that was up and down. Not impressed.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Just checked in an hour ago. So far very happy. Hubby is gold member and got an upgraded room and will get free breakfast in the lounge tomorrow. Lounge is closed on weekends and will get free breakfast in the second floor.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by peacestar
Lounge is closed on weekends and will get free breakfast in the second floor.
Is the 2nd floor the lounge (ie, is it open for breakfast only on Sat/Sun) or is there a restaurant on the 2nd floor? If a restaurant, is the brekkie cont'l only or full? If cont'l only, is there an upcharge to full & what is it? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:55 pm

different experience

Although it was few years back, post above called this as "one of the worst FS Marriot".

Recent experience was almost exactly opposite. One of the best stays in terms of hospitality of staff, facilities, food and location.

Great views of fireworks from top floor (ex revolving) panaromic empty restaurant. Decent facilities for kids (pool, game room, etc.) Easy waking to Parliament Hill. Outastanding staff in lounge (Ann was fantastic)

On non-working trips, lounge (both offering and staff) at FS Marriott seem to make a huge impact on overall experience, IMHO.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:28 am

Was your stay on a weekend desi? If so, was exec lounge open? If not, what did they do re: brekkie? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:22 pm

It was weekday. There was full breakfast and also open in the evening for the usual fare.

The revolving restaurant at the top of hotel is neither revolving nor restaurant any more. It is rented out for wedding receptions, etc. There are also conference rooms in that top part. Hotel opens up this portion for fireworks viewing on canada day, new year's eve, etc.

Lounge is on top floor of the building with excellent views but it is not in this 360 degrees top part mentioned above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.