Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking cash and/or award stays for someone else General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking cash and/or award stays for someone else General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

I've done it three times for three different people, the last time was a year ago for my daughter. I called Marriott directly and they added the person's name to the reservation and there were no issues.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Points for stay when reservation made, paid by someone else?

If another person (sibling, friend for example) makes a reservation at a marriott property but I stay in the room can I get credit for a qualifying night if I am in the room? I gave the hotel my Mariott # but the stay hasn’t posted...if it does I’ll be at 74 nights (including the 5 for reaching platinum)...don’t want to stay another night as a mattress run unless it will mean making 75 nights.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
If you stayed and you paid, you should get the nights and points credited to your account.

Does the other person have a Marriott account? Did they receive the points? If so Marriott broke their own rules, and you should have them reverse it (if their IT doesn't blow up from the strain...)
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rules have always been that to receive credit, you must both stay and pay. YMMV.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Booking a room on points for someone else

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before but couldn't find anything recent in searches and wasn't sure if things have changed since the programmes merged.

I'm travelling to Thailand with my wife, sister, brother in law and niece. My wife used her marriott points to book us a room on points for two nights in Bangkok and I want to use my Marriott points for an extra room for my sister, brother in law and niece for the same two nights. Our original plan was that as we had a room booked in each of our accounts, we'd both check in and check out with everyone and it shouldn't be a problem. However, due to unforeseen circumstances my wife and I now have to leave a day early so my sister and family would have to check out the room in my name on their own the next day.
Would this cause problems? Is it worth me contacting marriott/the hotel to let them know?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
in the old spg days you could gift the award points room to someone. May be Marriott has a similar scheme
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That's not a problem at all, especially if you are present at check-in. Otherwise you can call MR and they can book a room in another name.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Hi, apologies if this has been posted before but couldn't find anything recent in searches and wasn't sure if things have changed since the programmes merged.

I'm travelling to Thailand with my wife, sister, brother in law and niece. My wife used her marriott points to book us a room on points for two nights in Bangkok and I want to use my Marriott points for an extra room for my sister, brother in law and niece for the same two nights. Our original plan was that as we had a room booked in each of our accounts, we'd both check in and check out with everyone and it shouldn't be a problem. However, due to unforeseen circumstances my wife and I now have to leave a day early so my sister and family would have to check out the room in my name on their own the next day.
Would this cause problems? Is it worth me contacting marriott/the hotel to let them know?

Thanks!
You shouldn't have any issues since you will all be present at check-in, if you are worried just make sure all your names are on the room when you check-in. But in 750+ nights I have never been asked for ID at checkout.

Even if you weren't going to be there for check-in it is pretty simple, you can use your points to book a room for someone else - the only catch is that you have to do it over the phone with an agent (or do it online and then call to have the name on the reservation changed).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Great, thanks for the help and suggestions, allayed my concerns successfully :-)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:16 am

Booking room for someone else - benefits?

I'm interested in booking a room for my parents as a surprise. I plan on using my Marriott Brilliant Card and Bonvoy account. Will I still gain 6x points per dollar spent and still have gold status upon their stay?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not unless you stay in the room with them.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not unless you stay in the room with them.
Why wouldn't they still get 6x Marriott points from the CC charges? I've paid for many friends and family members before and always received the CC points.

I agree that if the OP isn't actually staying then the parents shouldn't get the OP's Gold status benefits (per T&Cs), but I've seen quite a few posts here where hotels have extended elite benefits even if the elite member themselves isn't staying. So it may still be possible, but just don't plan on it happening and if the hotels does, give them a thanks.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by rjruiz
I'm interested in booking a room for my parents as a surprise. I plan on using my Marriott Brilliant Card and Bonvoy account. Will I still gain 6x points per dollar spent and still have gold status upon their stay?
What specific Gold status benefits are you hoping your parents receive?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

What specific Gold status benefits are you hoping your parents receive?
The 25% bonus stay, enhanced room upgrade and 2pm late checkout. I wasn't sure if I would also gain 6x points if I'm booking under another name or if I would have to physically stay.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Why wouldn't they still get 6x Marriott points from the CC charges? I've paid for many friends and family members before and always received the CC points.

I agree that if the OP isn't actually staying then the parents shouldn't get the OP's Gold status benefits (per T&Cs), but I've seen quite a few posts here where hotels have extended elite benefits even if the elite member themselves isn't staying. So it may still be possible, but just don't plan on it happening and if the hotels does, give them a thanks.
Okay, I was just wondering about the 6x points and that makes sense they don't get the gold status since I'm not physically staying there. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.