Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking cash and/or award stays for someone else General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

I want to use my points to book a room for my sister in law. I booked it but it would not give me an option to change the name. I just added a note that the room was for her.

Do I need to do anything else. Is there a proper way to do this? I am assuming I can gift a room. Last names are the same.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have done this many times. Call MR and ask them to change the name on the reservation. You can't do it directly via the web site. Once they have changed the name, it should still show up in your online reservations list.

--Jon
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
When I do this, I call the hotel ahead of time and ask them what they want done to ensure the person will have no unexpected issues. I fax the property a copy of the reservation with a note saying it's okay and leaving a phone number where I can be reached. Finally, I hand what I've faxed to the person who will be staying in the hotel.

The day of the stay, I call the hotel about an hour before the people are checking in and make sure everything is in order.

Overkill? Probably. But I'd rather have overkill than a friend/relative standing in the lobby of a hotel worrying about what's going on.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:11 pm

it's not as convenient as reserving online, but i have called MR and booked over the phone and had the reservation list the name of the person that will be staying. this has worked 3 out of 3 times.

if you're going to have to call anyway to add or change the name, this will at least save you a step.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Just called marriott. They changed the name on the certificate and emailed me a new reservation with the other name listed as the guest. Only took a couple minutes and was pretty painless.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
If I use my points to book a room for a friend, can he also share my Elite benefits?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by jimmylotus
If I use my points to book a room for a friend, can he also share my Elite benefits?
NO- although YMMV - when I book for my (grown) children they have always been offered them
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:55 pm

I've done this as well for my folks many times; even been granted lounge access and amenity gift at FS.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntamayo
I've done this as well for my folks many times; even been granted lounge access and amenity gift at FS.
I tell them not to expect it but they always seem to get it.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jimmylotus
Originally Posted by annerj
I tell them not to expect it but they always seem to get it.
I've always specifically been told by the phone agent that they will receive the same benefits that I would get myself. And every time, that has been the case - lounge access, arrival gift, upgraded room, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
help..

Originally Posted by star_world
I've always specifically been told by the phone agent that they will receive the same benefits that I would get myself. And every time, that has been the case - lounge access, arrival gift, upgraded room, etc.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have booked a room for someone else and the agent said my lounge access would extend to them but when they checked in they were asked if the rewards number was theirs, and they said no, and they said no lounge access would be provided then. I called another agent and they confirmed they should get this. I called the hotel and got nowhere. Is there a written policy anywhere (which I doubt) or are they simply out of luck? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our experience has been they do, but it was only a courtesy, not required.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Booking Reward Stay for someone else

I’d like to use my posts to book a reward stay for my wife and her sister. What’s the best strategy for booking a reward stay where you aren’t going to be one of the guests?
thanks
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just give CS a call and explain. They will notate the booking and there shouldn't be any problems.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Just give CS a call and explain. They will notate the booking and there shouldn't be any problems.
so book it online and then call and explain my wife will actually be the guest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.