Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Alternate: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
FWIW I just finished a stay here and the property is in a great location! You will enjoy being close to Circular Quay and the downtown hub & Opera House etc.

Grand views and vistas from the hotel are OK - not great - as there is at least one building between it and the water.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Vasbyte, is the executive floor and lounge still at the customary standard related here prior (if you utilized them)? I ask because we have an executive suite reserved for our award stay. Since the upcharge is 150 AUD per night, I was interested in perceived value.

Pat
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by camachinist
Vasbyte, is the executive floor and lounge still at the customary standard related here prior (if you utilized them)? I ask because we have an executive suite reserved for our award stay. Since the upcharge is 150 AUD per night, I was interested in perceived value.

Pat
I'm a Plat member so had complimentry access to the exec floor & lounge. The lounge is on the 30th floor - we were on the 29th.

Not sure what 'customary standard' means but we thought it one of the better lounges we have experienced (not quite at the Thailand level but close!)

We used the lounge extensively - in the sense that my wife and & had breakfasts & dinners there. Breakfast choices were a definite notch above typical North American lounges - Dinner way better. 'Dinner' choices were a selection of 3 hot hors d'ouvres, cheese and crackers, a selection of Mediterranian 'tapas', and fresh fruit & veggies, assorted pastries and the usual beverages (free - no charging wine/beer to your room etc!.)

'Value' depends on your anticipated usage and is somewhat subjective. It's a great lounge, decent but not brilliant views, friendly staff.

Hope this helps!

V
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:59 pm

Thank you, it helps plenty. I'm happy to see the fine lounge and staff related by numerous FT'ers still exists. Looking forward to our trip

BTW, we experienced a similar level of service on the Expedia rate issue at the Hilton Osaka. Outstanding executive staff service and food/beverage quality in an otherwise dated property.

I don't mind not having the perfect view. As my wife often reminds me, the room is there to sleep in

Pat
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:28 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Here are some pics I took of the food in the lounge:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ey034Large.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ey085Large.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ey009Large.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ey044Large.jpg
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Sydney Harbor Marriott emails

I am in need of an email address for someone at the SYD Harbor Marriott to see about getting another copy of my bill from a March 2006 stay.
They posted 54 points to my account. I spent 150 AUD a day *4 and 29 AUD for internet once.
Even with great exchange rates this doesnt add up to $5.43 that MR tells me I got credit for.
Of course in looking at home I have all the paper work from the trip BUT the bill.
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Youu'll find the e-mail conventions above in the sticky, Compendium of Marriott website addresses.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:14 pm

Wanted to update this thread:

On December 1st, I faxed the appropriate documents to Marriott Rewards to get the hotel cert extended and attached to the Sydney Marriott reservation so the hotel wouldn't tell me I didn't have the right certificate.

After 17 days of silence and no action, I called this morning to follow up.

Here's how it went...

1. Called Marriott Rewards to extend hotel certificate. CSR seemed unsure of how to do this and put me on hold for about 15 minutes. Finally came back and said such was done. She couldn't help me with the reservation, so invited me to call reservations.

2. I called reservations, but they couldn't help me and suggested I call Marriott Rewards. After explaining to them where I came from, they then suggested I call Customer Care.

3. I called Customer Care, explained the situation, and then was put on hold. While on hold, I noted that they had cancelled my old hotel cert and issued a new one, extending the date, still at CAT1-5. After about 20 more minutes on hold, the CSR returns and explains they called Marriott Rewards and "bought up" the certificate to a CAT6. I confirmed that it appeared in my account as such. They explained that the hotel will access that certificate when I check in, as I understood from my contact via e-mail back in February.

BTW, the extension showed a "purchase" of 45,000 points and the "buy-up" showed a purchase of 50,000 points. This was all done internally; my account was not touched.

My two issues:

Why did I have to follow up on a very clear and concise documentation of and request for action on my initial request?

Why did it take nearly an hour and talking to nearly all Marriott departments to accomplish a simple task that I'm sure occurs every day?

That's what I'll be asking Marriott Corporate when I write them about this.

BTW, I noted the quality and professionalism of the CSR's isn't what it was when I last visited this issue, in February, nor what it was when I last had an issue requiring a phone call, in April 2005. The folks on Bearcat need to revisit their service standards, methinks.

Pat
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:04 pm

My award for this one was in April 06. The reward was issued on October 05. Marriott rewards added the point difference. Much like what they did to you. I think you got a good deal. I think also that you got lucky with the extension of the reward at the same price. I believe that rewards had an expiration date of 1 year from date of issue. Congrats
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:04 pm

Just wanted to clarify that my hotel cert was part of a travel package, and such certs are routinely extended a year. This was underscored by the casual "when it is extended" response from Marriott Customer Service in February.

I personally think I got the "deal" I deserved, no more and no less, but not in a timely nor efficacious manner. It was interesting to see that the difference internally was only 5000 MRP's, vs the 15,000 MRP's I would have had to pony up to purchase the CAT6 package vs the CAT1-5.

I posted this so others could be forewarned as to what can happen. Hopefully, by taking care of this now, nothing but pleasantries can be exchanged once we're downunder. Looking forward to great hospitality at this property.

Pat
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:10 pm

Sydney Harbour Marriott - upgrade?

We're looking at using MR points for 6 nights in June. Anyone care to guess my odds for a free upgrade to an Exec suite?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:00 pm

Well, pull up a chair, grab a bag of your favorite gourmet popcorn; this is going to be interesting.

In advance of our arrival at the Sydney Harbour Marriott, I received an invitation to use a cool Marriott feature, the Virtual Concierge, rather than faxing my usual welcome letter to the hotel. In using it, I checked off some complimentary offerings, like extra bathrobes and a voltage transformer and adapter.

When prompted to include an additional comments/requests, I entered the following:

"Approximate Arrival Time: 8:00 AM

Additional Requests: Looking forward to staying with you. Please link this reservation to subsequent reservation Confirmation #: 867XXXXX. We would appreciate a high floor location with a view of the Opera House, if available. As we are an early arrival, we'd like to check in, have our luggage stored for delivery to our suite when ready. We have a late afternoon engagement and would appreciate the suite being ready by 2 pm if possible so we can freshen up and enjoy our champagne prior. Thanks for your assistance!"

The above verbage was crafted to remind the hotel of the nature of the package reservation I had booked for our revenue night, prior to the beginning of the award stay, which included:

Rate Rules
Additional Information
*** ROMANCE PACKAGE *** EXECUTIVE SUITE
INCLUDES -
* 1 NIGHT ACCOMMODATION IN EXECUTIVE SUITE OVERLOOKING OPERA HSE
* BOTTLE OF MOET & STRAWBERRIES
* NIGHT CAP - MINI LIQUEUR & CHOCOLATES
* ACCESS TO EXECUTIVE LOUNGE
* ROOM SERVICE BREAKFAST FOR 2
* LATE CHECK OUT TILL 4PM
* VALET PARKING
I received a very expeditious reply from Marriott's room coordinator for the Sydney Marriott, to wit:

Greeting from Sydney,

We have received your email in regards to reservation. The Early check in to the room is subject to availability on the day; our guaranteed Check in time is 3 pm. We will do our best to accommodate you but if the room is not ready you will have access to our early arrival lounge which has toilet, shower facilities, tea & coffee, free internet access and luggage storage. Please contact the Hotel Operator once you have checked in to have the other items sent to your room.

I have passed the information in regards to the room type to the room’s coordinator.
Cool. That's exactly what we were looking for in regards to our early check-in, just to store luggage, freshen up and get out to explore the town. I mention the above because it becomes more important later.

I noted, when subsequently accessing my reservations to print out a copy to take with us on our trip, that both our revenue reservation and award reservation had some interesting changes to my last name. For some reason, the characters "DNMEO" now appeared as part of my last name, immediately after the last letter of it. Everything else looked to be in order, so I printed the reservations.

Fast forward to arrival day. Our flight was delayed so we did not actually arrive at the hotel until around 10am local time. When checking in, we were pleasantly surprised that a room would be immediately available. The reason was given that "we haven't been extremely busy". Good news, I thought. Interestingly, the check-in clerk was having some difficulty pronouncing my last name due to those extraneous letters. I explained the circumstances regarding them and also advised him I had handed our luggage off to the bellman using my "real" name

The clerk noted that "you're only staying one night with us", whereupon I asked him if he needed a copy of our week-long award confirmation (which I had asked to be linked prior, via the concierge) He then had some further difficulty linking the reservations, apologized and asked that I come down the next day to get our keys "revalidated". No worries, I said. He further gave me a letter regarding use of the executive lounge, then provided the rate sheets for me to sign. As one noted the rate for the revenue stay correctly, and the other noted the revenue upgrade rate from our standard award stay (to the executive suite), I saw all was in order and signed both.

We went up to the room (a corner room on the 27th floor) and all looked to be in order. I received a call from our check-in clerk moments later apologizing for forgeting to give me the key card to access the executive lounge on the 30th floor. I thought that odd, since my room key had accessed it in the past at other properties, but thanked him for his attention.

As friends were to pick us up and head to see a concert, we vacated the room around 3 o'clock and didn't return until shortly after midnight. Upon returning, I noted that we had neither received our champagne nor our nightcap, nor were there any voice mails to indicate attempted delivery. At other properties, room service has always delivered such items whether or not we were in the room, and then followed up later to make sure everything was in order. Also, when riding the elevator up, I took the time to read the keycard access placard which identified the "Executive Level Floors" as being from floor 28 though 32. Just a few more tidbits

Now, this morning, I get the bill (which I shouldn't have gotten if the reservations had been linked). On it, I see the charges for our room service lunch (correct), deposits for the electrical devices we requested (refundable upon collection, I assume), the room rate and an "upgrade charge rsv" for 150AUD. In the rate box area I note "21RMPE" which I understand to identify the negotiated romance package rate. Since the "upgrade" to the executive suite is already in the room rate, of course the bill is wrong. Tic-toc...

So, for those who haven't already changed the channel , I ask the following:

What are the executive floors in the Sydney Marriott and, if one is not located on them is one still considered to have received an executive room?

Who is the person best empowered to keep me from cancelling the rest of our reservation (we do have a 4pm checkout ) and heading over to the Intercont. This deal has gone so wrong on so many levels, especially the subjective part, that I'm thinking my decision to walk from Marriott was indeed a prophetic one. I seriously don't know what's wrong with them, but they need to fix it. Of course, Bill Marriott's book is in the nightstand. I wonder when the last time was that an employee actually read it.

My assertions:

Marriott failed on multiple levels here, both at the corporate level and the hotel level. Even when reminded of their duties and obligations, they still failed. IMO, it's not the customer's job to constantly remind a vendor of what they've agreed to do. Maybe I was stupid to book a package for our first night in Australia, one which would set the mood for the trip. Well, it certainly has.

I'm going to talk to the local hotel staff today and want to be aware of the facts. Did we get an executive suite? Now, I don't know. Maybe it's just a nice corner room. Can executive suites be located on non-executive floors?

If it hadn't been for all the other screw-ups, I likely wouldn't mind, other than having to carry two card keys around. But, you see, it's all cumulative.

Well, now I'm off to figure out how to get (and what we should get for) the room service breakfast which was part of our package. How much time out of our vacation should I set aside today to clean this up? Let's hope not much.

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Jan 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
I vaguely recall needing 2 keys as well..One for the room, one for the executive lounge...Although that may have been the Melbourne Marriott.

(I just looked through my room keys from Au and it was the Melbourne) Marriott.
I also believe there are suites on other floors.

I had a very nice suite on my one night stay prior to the US flight..and I believe it was on the 26th floor. Did it have a jacuzzi in the bathroom?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:30 pm

I've booked a standard award stay at this property for June with the expectation I will be upgraded due to my Platinum status (as I have at every other Cat 6 property where I've booked an award stay). Can anyone confirm or deny this will likely happen?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:32 pm

Update:

As psychephylax noted, apparently this (executive rooms on other than executive floors and two keys) is the case at some Marriott properties.

Though a conflict in explanation, now the story is we received a lower floor suite due to a "shortage of rooms" when we checked in.

I did request proper toiletries for an executive level room (we just received the standard stuff) and the turndown service which is afforded to executive level rooms. At the rate I've been answering the door the last 10 minutes, it appears they've discovered us. BTW, we also got no housekeeping today. That's going on as I speak.

Our one bottle of Moet downgraded to a Willowglen sparkler, which is a blazing 10.00 per bottle, though not terrible. In true fashion, one arrived this morning and another arrived while we were out walking the CBD. So, two sparklers and strawberries, but no liquors and chocolates. I can live with that.

Regarding billing, reception had to get creative as the folio had already closed, and will delete the upgrade charge for tonight. I'll watch the folio as this develops. Hopefully, I impressed upon housekeeping that regular cleaning of the room not only makes me a more pleasant sort, but does inspire requisite tips, which BTW, I had left this morning and was uncollected. I didn't reward the service today, trust me

Regarding upgrades, I hope you get one. I don't see why not. Let's just hope my experience is a glaring anomaly and that I've completely over-reacted

I am still sending a synopsis of this entire experience to Marriott corporate, as such experience is inexcuseable for any customer to endure, much less a Marriott frequent stayer.

Hopefully they've now got things in sync and the rest of the week will go well. I like the location and the staff members are very friendly and courteous. Management is at fault for every issue I've experienced IMO. Someone needs to get out that Marriott book and whack someone's you know what, if you get my meaning...

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.