Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wish you could get points for non-stay hotel charges...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I realize it won't happen, but wish it would...

I'll be in LAS in a few weeks. Staying at LAS Marriott (formerly suites). Will probably be at the LAS Ren a few times (where I stayed last year) eating meals or having drinks in bar cuz it's so close to the part of the convention center I'll be at.

Variety of reasons I'm staying at Marriott, one being Ren being that close to conv ctr really really jacks up its rates so for clients' sake cheaper to stay at Marriott. But hate giving up the Marriott points on the expensive dinner at Envy or drinks for clients in the bar @ Ren.

Same w/ other properties where might stop by for meal, drinks, spa, etc, throughout the year. Wish there was some way could just hand over Marriott rewards card when paying & have points credited.

Again, I don't expect it to happen & I'm sure there are logistical reasons why it won't, but doesn't hurt to dream/ask

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I realize it won't happen, but wish it would...

I'll be in LAS in a few weeks. Staying at LAS Marriott (formerly suites). Will probably be at the LAS Ren a few times (where I stayed last year) eating meals or having drinks in bar cuz it's so close to the part of the convention center I'll be at.

Variety of reasons I'm staying at Marriott, one being Ren being that close to conv ctr really really jacks up its rates so for clients' sake cheaper to stay at Marriott. But hate giving up the Marriott points on the expensive dinner at Envy or drinks for clients in the bar @ Ren.

Same w/ other properties where might stop by for meal, drinks, spa, etc, throughout the year. Wish there was some way could just hand over Marriott rewards card when paying & have points credited.

Again, I don't expect it to happen & I'm sure there are logistical reasons why it won't, but doesn't hurt to dream/ask

Cheers.
You can purchase certain items like spa treatments, golf etc through marriott.com and gain points that way.

As to eating and drinking, if it's an official item of the hotel then I would go and purchase some gift cards. Wait for when one the mr deals to come about and then stock up on the cards.

If you're lucky and you can get a cheap 1 night stay, book a room and make charges to the room to acquire points. U could hit a mega bonus or some other promo at lot easier that way.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jredknapp11
You can purchase certain items like spa treatments, golf etc through marriott.com and gain points that way.

As to eating and drinking, if it's an official item of the hotel then I would go and purchase some gift cards. Wait for when one the mr deals to come about and then stock up on the cards.

If you're lucky and you can get a cheap 1 night stay, book a room and make charges to the room to acquire points. U could hit a mega bonus or some other promo at lot easier that way.
* If I'm going to a Marriott spa, odds are I'm staying at the hotel & would charge it to the room, but thanks for the idea. I'm really referring more to eat/drink type things.

* The thought being that I get Marriott points by purchasing the gift card? Of course that ties up $$ in advance but is definitely something to think about.

* Yes, the above is true, but again, my thought is getting points for Marriott food/drink purchases when not staying at a particular property, such as I'll be encountering during the upcoming Vegas trip.

Again, I know there's probably a good IT reason why it can't happen, but I can dream & you've given me an idea w/ the gift card.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:38 am
Suspended

I especially like the Delta/MR gift card which was 1000 DL miles and 10% off or $900 for $1000 face value. But isnt being offered right now

Use the MR CC and you earn some MR pts that way
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It would be nice if we could, like Starwood, get points for meals and certain other expenses even when we aren't staying at the hotel. I don't know if Marriott's systems are the problem in that it isn't easy to track points when not staying at the hotel or if Marriott just doesn't think the benefits of making this type of change would cover the costs.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I like the idea of getting points for non-stay purchases. I would use the Tampa Marriott Waterside spa more. Or dinner at the Vinoy in St Pete. Instead, I do a RewardsNetwork restaurant to get the AA miles.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
It would be nice if we could, like Starwood, get points for meals and certain other expenses even when we aren't staying at the hotel. I don't know if Marriott's systems are the problem in that it isn't easy to track points when not staying at the hotel or if Marriott just doesn't think the benefits of making this type of change would cover the costs.
* I didn't realize that Starwood did this. If their IT dept can do it, so can Marriott's. So my guess is it's just a blip on the radar for them; they don't care. In fairness there are other things (such as worldwide free internet) I'd like to see happen, but if it wasn't a huge IT problem I'd like to see it incorporated.

Originally Posted by FLgrr
I like the idea of getting points for non-stay purchases. I would use the Tampa Marriott Waterside spa more. Or dinner at the Vinoy in St Pete. Instead, I do a RewardsNetwork restaurant to get the AA miles.
* Me too. There's a JW about 30 minutes from me that gets really good reviews on its restaurant/bar. I'd go there for meals or drinks if I got points as a non-guest. But since I don't & literally within a block or two of it are some of the better restaurants/bars I tend to go to them.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, UA, AA, etc. etc. etc.
Do you have a MR CC? We always use ours for purchases, even meals at MR properties and we get points and even bonuses. A few times, with larger purchases, they've even credited us with room nights but that was an error not the rule.

* If I'm going to a Marriott spa, odds are I'm staying at the hotel & would charge it to the room, but thanks for the idea. I'm really referring more to eat/drink type things.

* The thought being that I get Marriott points by purchasing the gift card? Of course that ties up $$ in advance but is definitely something to think about.

* Yes, the above is true, but again, my thought is getting points for Marriott food/drink purchases when not staying at a particular property, such as I'll be encountering during the upcoming Vegas trip.

Again, I know there's probably a good IT reason why it can't happen, but I can dream & you've given me an idea w/ the gift card.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

I primarily use a United CC. Since it's also a Visa (ie, Marriott promos usually involve Visa) I didn't think I needed 2 Visas.

However, if Marriott instituted a program like Starwood where you got points for non-stay property purchases regardless of type of credit card, Marriott would pick up some additional revenue from me.

Again, I realize it's probably not high on their priority list, but if it was easy to implement IT wise, could be an additional way of garnering some extra revenue by folks who live or travel near Marriott properties that might not be staying there.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR

Cheers.
I can understand your feelings towards spa/resort ammentities but you included that in your wish list... I was only replying to the request.

As to the gift cards... the money spent on them is no different then the money spent while at the bar. MR gift cards can be used on numerous occasions until the balance is at zero. As they are also treated as Visa's within their system, you can also use any Visa promo's going on with dining experiences... granted these offers are seldom but they do exsist.

Depending on how agressive you are in quest for points, you can always enquire at the front desk for a day rate. Most Marriott's will offer you a very low priced room that is yours to use or not use for a few hours during the day. I've often grabbed a day rate around $40 few hours to freshen up or charge my batteries for a hours and then head off back into my day/night. Day rates are applicable to all MR incentives so you get a night's credit and the applicable pts that go along with the room, including charged items.

All in all, you should vest yourself with a gift card or two. It will give you the points you seek for eating at bar/restaurant with little to no loss in value...if anything you can time these purchases properly and grab a GC promo and walk out a winner.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:51 am

I often eat in Starwood restaurants to get the points (plus the food is good)

I didn't realise other programmes didn't do this.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jredknapp11
I can understand your feelings towards spa/resort ammentities but you included that in your wish list... I was only replying to the request.

As to the gift cards... the money spent on them is no different then the money spent while at the bar. MR gift cards can be used on numerous occasions until the balance is at zero. As they are also treated as Visa's within their system, you can also use any Visa promo's going on with dining experiences... granted these offers are seldom but they do exsist.

Depending on how agressive you are in quest for points, you can always enquire at the front desk for a day rate. Most Marriott's will offer you a very low priced room that is yours to use or not use for a few hours during the day. I've often grabbed a day rate around $40 few hours to freshen up or charge my batteries for a hours and then head off back into my day/night. Day rates are applicable to all MR incentives so you get a night's credit and the applicable pts that go along with the room, including charged items.

All in all, you should vest yourself with a gift card or two. It will give you the points you seek for eating at bar/restaurant with little to no loss in value...if anything you can time these purchases properly and grab a GC promo and walk out a winner.
* You're right. I had included spas in my original list, although I was really thinking more along the lines of food/drink, so thanks for that. I'll check into gift cards, but again that's $$ outlayed until I do use the card, whereas just using a normal credit card when doing the actual purchase isn't typing up $$ in advance. But gift cards are an option. Never even thought of the day rate idea. But overall I was just wishing that non-stay purchases would be credited without having to jump through hoops, which evidently from the post below Starwood does.

Originally Posted by camsean
I often eat in Starwood restaurants to get the points (plus the food is good)

I didn't realise other programmes didn't do this.
And I didn't realize Starwood did do it until this thread! There have been times when I've had lunch or dinner at Starwoods w/ clients (they picked the location) & didn't realize I was throwing away Starwood points. Hmm, wonder if Hyatt and Hilton do this too?

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Any update on this topic - it's over a year since this popped up, and the free internet worldwide has been introduced since...

I'm not living in the US and take the parents to Easter brunch here in Germany, so gift cards (due to the currency conversion) oder a MR Visa (not available here) does not do the trick...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Guess what, It IS possible, but good luck getting a hotel to do it unless you are a frequent visitor.

All they have to do is "walk in" a "house account" for you and put in your membership number, credit card etc. Basically instead of checking you into room 453, they check you into room HSE.

Then go to restaurant , charge it to your house account, then check out at front desk.

I worked a Courtyard years ago where we had a local resident who just loved to have lunch (yes THAT long ago a a courtyard!) and sunday brunch with us, so we did this for him.

Won't get night credits since you were in room HSE, but dollar credits would accrue - same method as for getting points on function rooms, but they got checked into room FNC.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:25 am
Suspended

Sharon, this won't help you in your situation, but one way to do it is if you have the free Cat 1-4 cert -- however earned -- which you cannot find a good use for.

On the list of those eateries that you cannot use the EEO 2 for 1 dining are certain eateries in specific hotels.

Sometimes these eateries are in hotels in the above Categories (usually Cat 4). Shula's in Tysons Corner and Ruth Chris in Westchester Marriott.

Of course, there probably are some good restos on the 2 for 1 list that also fall within the Cat 1 - 4 properties, as well. So, this also is an option.

If the certs are going to waste but wish to have a decent dinner and earn points, check into hotel with the free cert and then charge the dinner to your room -- which you can do. Settle bill at checkout, hopefully with MR Visa card.

May not come to alot of points this way, and obviously not a great way to use the free night cert -- but if it is going to waste, well this is an option.

Other choice, scope out which hotels Starwood has in the chosen destination and see if there are any good eateries there. You can earn points on just dinner at those, even without a hotel stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.