Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Nearby Construction Until December 31, 2017

Until December 31, 2017, there will be construction and noise disruptions due to work on the adjacent apartment building. Work will take place between 7am and 6pm daily. Please contact the hotel for further information.

Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge Details

On Thursday evenings though Sunday evenings, the hotel hosts special events and live music in the Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge. Occasionally, some of the excitement will be audible through the hallways or guestrooms; however, there will be minimal impact to guests. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Arrow Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Greetings from the 4 points San Jose / Monty room 400. Checked in last night completely oblivious that the hotel had just been rebranded. It wasn't until I circled the block a couple times looking for the hotel (poorly marked at street level as the main entrance is around the side) that I realized that it was the former Monty.

The lobby is attractive and completely redone. There's a bar / lounge off to the side which looked inviting. I had already eaten, and had been traveling all day, so I didn't go in to check it out.

Check-in was done quickly, politely, and professionally. No mention of SPG status. Seems pretty quick to have fallen into usual unofficial brand standard .

Assigned room on the fourth floor which is very nice. Decent size, obviously recently gutted and renovated. Decent [free] wifi connection and all the usual 4 points amenities. For an older hotel I'm pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Bathroom is laid out well, has good pressure and temperature control in the shower.

Bed was perfect. Didn't have those absurd 4 points elephant pillows. It actually felt "heavenly." I slept like a log.

The only flaw I've found is there's a dark red stain on the under-side of the comforter consistent with dried blood, which I didn't notice until I got out of bed this morning. It rather skeeved me out, I'm not going to lie.

The other flaw is the $20/night parking which was like a 2x4 to the back of my head. The good news is, is the location is good enough that if you're staying downtown (going to a conference) you don't need a car. The hotel is adjacent to the Fairmont and is a block and a half from the Marriott. Street noise is present from the light-rail, but its not bad at all. You also have the planes going in/out of SJC, but you find that at every hotel in this city. Overall my room wasn't loud.

There's a gym, somewhere, but this was just a quick overnight stay so I didn't check it out.

I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Fairmont in downtown SJC and I wouldn't hesitate to return to the 4 Points. This is probably the nicest 4 Points I've ever stayed in (not saying much). If it was a Sheraton it would be up there. My rate was $120/night.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:09 pm

Thanks for posting this. I had a reservation at the Montgomery for the upcoming NCAA tournament later this month. After reading, I was worried that my original reservation might not be honored. But I just called the hotel and confirmed that my reservation is still in their system. Still, it would have been nice to get an email from the hotel informing of the changeover.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the Review

I actually was wondering how the property would look after being rebranded. It started off as a Joie De Vivre property (you'll find a lot of those in that area), then it detached itself from it, and now its a Four Points.

My personal preference in the area is the San Jose Marriott, but thats because the lobby has this intoxicating smell in it that I almost think they pump drugs to get you addicted to that hotel.

Glad there is a SPG property there though.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just completed a stay here and agree with the other reviews. It's the nicest Four Points I've been too, actually seems like a nice Sheraton. I got room 320 which was a nice large suite. Parking seems steep, but I didnt see any other options. I'd stay here again, it beats nearby options I've used before.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Four Points Sheraton San Jose Downtown

I didn't find anything in the forum about actual stays at this property. I have a few nights booked here over the next few weeks and am wondering about the rooms, parking and upgrades?

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old May 24, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I stayed here last month; decided to take a break from my usual haunt at the Fairmont, which is literally next door. Boy was I disappointed, even accounting for the (rather modest) price differential. Yes, the remodel is nice, but the room was a closet! I thought perhaps I had landed in NYC instead of SJC, the room was that small. The window opened up onto an interior courtyard that could have passed for an alleyway, as all I could see was the window of the room across the way unless I really craned my neck to look down. The bathroom didn't even have a proper door; just a slider to separate it from the bedroom.

Sounds like others have had nicer rooms, but certainly no upgrade due to my Gold status---indeed, I hope this was a downgrade, as if most rooms are this small, I wouldn't think they'll survive long without higher-end amenities to compete with the Fairmont.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Stated fri night. Didnt spend too much time here, but not bad. Got a corner room/Jr suite.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:31 pm

Suite upgrade (or lack thereof) shenanigans here tonight. I can get online and buy three suites for tonight, yet they dont have one for me for a Plat upgrade. Yeah, yeah I know that it's possible that it isn't ready (yeah right at 8:30pm). I'm sick of SPG properties doing this. I hammered away at front desk clerk for a bit and she finally caved and admitted they had suites.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:42 pm

I should follow up to say that I got a PM here on FT within a very short time of posting from the General Manager of this property, apologizing and offering to help out. At that point I had already gone to dinner, and the room I had was fine for a one night stay, but that's a pretty proactive GM and so I'll give this property the benefit of the doubt that there was a mix up.

I had a nice meal in the restaurant downstairs, it has to be the best restaurant in a 4points, period. I had a nice Tuna tartare and mixed greens salad and several of the other options looked pretty good on the tables around me. It's nice to be able to get something more healty and tasty than a burger and fries at 9pm.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:15 am

This or Marriott?

Having mixed feeling about an upcoming reservation. Staying on a Saturday and Sunday night in November. I have SPG Gold status and was looking to get upgraded to their standard suite. Have any SPG Gold members had success doing this on a weekend, (other than stephem who had to call the front staff's bluff)?

Very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor on this property as a Four Points. Some really love it, others say the manager runs it like a Motel 6. Worried a little bit about noise from their club on a Saturday night. One of the suites overlooks a dumpster, according to one review.

OTOH, Marriott has a $160/night w/tax rate that includes breakfast and valet parking, but I have no status there, plus I would probably only use the breakfast once. The FourPoints stay would be about $140/night w/tax using either my SET or the Pay your Age promo.

Last edited by askmrlee; Sep 23, 2010 at 3:28 am
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Do you need to be downtown? If not, and if you have a car, we have had great luck on Priceline securing the Dolce Hayes Mansion, which we quite enjoy, and at an amazing rate this time of year. PM me if this is an option for you and I'll tell you what we do.
Originally Posted by askmrlee
Having mixed feeling about an upcoming reservation. Staying on a Saturday and Sunday night in November. I have SPG Gold status and was looking to get upgraded to their standard suite. Have any SPG Gold members had success doing this on a weekend, (other than stephem who had to call the front staff's bluff)?

Very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor on this property as a Four Points. Some really love it, others say the manager runs it like a Motel 6. Worried a little bit about noise from their club on a Saturday night. One of the suites overlooks a dumpster, according to one review.

OTOH, Marriott has a $160/night w/tax rate that includes breakfast and valet parking, but I have no status there, plus I would probably only use the breakfast once. The FourPoints stay would be about $140/night w/tax using either my SET or the Pay your Age promo.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

Based on numerous experiences with Marriott and just one when it was the Montgomery, I would definitely go with the Marriott.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:18 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Having mixed feeling about an upcoming reservation. Staying on a Saturday and Sunday night in November. I have SPG Gold status and was looking to get upgraded to their standard suite. Have any SPG Gold members had success doing this on a weekend, (other than stephem who had to call the front staff's bluff)?...
stephem is probably a Platinum member in SPG and entitled to a standard suite at check-in, subject to availability. Sometimes Gold members are fortunate and get one as well, depending upon the status of the hotel. In other words, a hotel with lots of suites, once Platinums are accommodated with suites left over, could - if they wished to do so - upgrade Golds to standard suites.

That being said, there are not that many suites at this property and throw in a large number of Platinum members who stay there on a regular basis, the prospect seems dim for a Gold member to get a suite upgrade here.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Sep 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
I should follow up to say that I got a PM here on FT within a very short time of posting from the General Manager of this property, apologizing and offering to help out.
Alright, I'll bite....

What did the GM say? Why weren't you upgraded if the front desk clerk admitted there were suites available?

I am surprised you didn't elaborate a bit more....

Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:01 pm

I was contacted by the GM who offered to move me right then and there to a suite. I decided it was late and I was leaving early in the morning and so I would stay put. That's a good outcome for my specific case, but there is still the issue of why many of us have this problem at an increasing number of properties.

So it wasn't really the room I received that bothered me, but more the fact that hotels are using the "suite must be ready for checkin" type of language in the SPG rules to claim that they dont have a suite for upgrade purposes (because they have left it uncleaned or something like that). I have previously suggested that if it's offered for sale it should be offered for upgrade.

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Alright, I'll bite....

What did the GM say? Why weren't you upgraded if the front desk clerk admitted there were suites available?

I am surprised you didn't elaborate a bit more....

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.