Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
Thanks Fizzer, hopefully thie AMEX website is updated soon to reflect this.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yyjregular
Thanks Fizzer, hopefully thie AMEX website is updated soon to reflect this.
My guess is they are probably waiting for the rebranding to make that go ahead. I got the email about 15 nights too.

My hope is that it hits by summer. I plan to also do an event for 10 nights, so I want to hit 75 nights total this year for Titanium status. It would help me plan out my stays better if I knew when it was coming.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

Everything I've read on various forums state the 15 nights will be reflected in March (i.e. after the rebranded credit cards hit).
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hmmm. guess we'll just have to be patient with the 15 nights.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:44 am

my points associated with this card normally post to my account like clockwork. this month it is five days late. Anyone else notice this recently?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
No issues here. Statement closed on Jan 25. Points posted Jan 27.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 pm

Received the email today from Amex about receiving the new card..............I am still concerned that they are not mentioning the 15 nights whatsoever on the benefits? Why would they choose not to mention it?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Diamond
Same here! Very strange they would not mention it at all!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Ok, so I reapplied for the SPG card, given the 15 elite nights credit....but outside of that, is there any reason I should even use this card, except when at a Stariott Hotel? 5 points per 1 USD spent at a Starriott hotel, but the earn rate elsewhere isn't anywhere close to the Amex Cobalt card...

For the Amex Cobalt card, I get 6 Starriott points per dollar spent at a restaurant and at a grocery store. (after converting 5 MR to 6 Starriott)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Received the email today from Amex about receiving the new card..............I am still concerned that they are not mentioning the 15 nights whatsoever on the benefits? Why would they choose not to mention it?
I got the same email about SPG Amex becoming Bonvoy Amex, but no mention of 15 elite nights credits.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Ok, so I reapplied for the SPG card, given the 15 elite nights credit....but outside of that, is there any reason I should even use this card, except when at a Stariott Hotel? 5 points per 1 USD spent at a Starriott hotel, but the earn rate elsewhere isn't anywhere close to the Amex Cobalt card...

For the Amex Cobalt card, I get 6 Starriott points per dollar spent at a restaurant and at a grocery store. (after converting 5 MR to 6 Starriott)
It is 5 points per 1 CAN dollar spent, which is a lot better than 5:1 USD. I had 4k of Marriott spend (CAN) which gave me 20k points. If it was USD spend, that would have been 1/3 less points.

Pretty much the only place I use my SPG card is with Marriott hotel stays. I had a targeted offer to spend $7500 in 3 months for 8k points. Since I had a few big purchases coming up (summer flights, 2 weeks at Marriott in Feb, 1 week in March, etc.) I put my flights on this card rather than my usual card and I will put the extra 1k or so I need to make that spend on this card as 8000 points is worth about $70 US to me, so worth putting the extra spend on the card.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:38 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I submitted a formal complaint to AMEX Canada. The Colbalt card out earns Marriott Bonvoy points on their own specalty catagory. Colbat's eats and drinks catagory earns 6 Bonvoy points per $C 1 spent while this new Bonvy AMEX earns 5 Bonvoy Points per $C1 spent in Marriott hotels. I wrote to corporate that this needs to be fixed - preferably by increasing the bonus points earned on the AMEX Bonvoy card while staying in a Marriott/SPG hotel.

This issue happened once-up-a-time when Aeroplan AMEX cards came out. The AMEX Platinum was earning $1.5 membership reward points per $C 1 spent and thus can convert to 1.5 Aeroplan miles while the Aeroplan AMEX Platinum was earning 1.30 aeroplan miles per $C1 and I wrote to complain. A few months later... They converted all Platinum card members to either accept the new ratio of 1.25 Membership Reward Points per $C1 and allowed to convert to Aeroplan OR (by special request) keep the 1.5 Membership Rewards Points per $C1 spent but cannot convert to Aeroplan. I wonder how many took the 1.5 Membership Rewards per $C1 spent option - they could have transfered to SPG in a tolerable discount. Anyhow, if you complain about fairness of the overall program, they'll fix it but it's a gamble if the fix is better or worse than before.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Handcake
It is 5 points per 1 CAN dollar spent, which is a lot better than 5:1 USD. I had 4k of Marriott spend (CAN) which gave me 20k points. If it was USD spend, that would have been 1/3 less points.
Yes, the Cdn card gives 5 pts/$ on Marriott spend, but the US card gives 6 pts/$.

(If it was 5 pts/$ on the US card, you would have got 1/4 less points.)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:08 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I submitted a formal complaint to AMEX Canada. The Colbalt card out earns Marriott Bonvoy points on their own specalty catagory. Colbat's eats and drinks catagory earns 6 Bonvoy points per $C 1 spent while this new Bonvy AMEX earns 5 Bonvoy Points per $C1 spent in Marriott hotels. I wrote to corporate that this needs to be fixed - preferably by increasing the bonus points earned on the AMEX Bonvoy card while staying in a Marriott/SPG hotel.

This issue happened once-up-a-time when Aeroplan AMEX cards came out. The AMEX Platinum was earning $1.5 membership reward points per $C 1 spent and thus can convert to 1.5 Aeroplan miles while the Aeroplan AMEX Platinum was earning 1.30 aeroplan miles per $C1 and I wrote to complain. A few months later... They converted all Platinum card members to either accept the new ratio of 1.25 Membership Reward Points per $C1 and allowed to convert to Aeroplan OR (by special request) keep the 1.5 Membership Rewards Points per $C1 spent but cannot convert to Aeroplan. I wonder how many took the 1.5 Membership Rewards per $C1 spent option - they could have transfered to SPG in a tolerable discount. Anyhow, if you complain about fairness of the overall program, they'll fix it but it's a gamble if the fix is better or worse than before.

An update on this. I received a reply today by management. In our conversation, I outlined that the Colbolt AMEX Card would earn 6 Bonvoy Points per $C 1 spent on eats and drinks and that would out-earn the yet-to-be-release Marriott Bonvoy AMEX 5 Bonvoy Points per $C 1 spent in Marriott hotels. Secondly, for catagories of Travel & Transit, the Colbalt would earn 22 Bonvoy points for every $C10 spent while there is no other bonus catagory for Bonvoy AMEX and thus only earn 20 Bonvoy Points for every $c 10 spent... Again, the Colbalt out earns Bonvoy AMEX on the specialty card. Management brought my feedback during meeting and this process would go to marketing department to further impact study before changes may be implemented (or discarded). I am hopeful stuff may happen.

As for what my suggestion was.. I told them to increase normal earning back to 3 Bonvoy points per $C 1 spent and a more generous bonus in flights and hotels catagory. I said if they can't put money in, the other non-as good blunt tool of stopping the bleeding is to block Cobalt from transfering to Marriott Bonvoy. The original intent of blocking Cobalt MR points to Aeroplan was to prevent leak from Aeroplan cards to Colbalt but there was a loophole of Colbalt MR -> SPG/Marriott -> Aeroplan. You close that and there won't be cannabalization of members keeping the Bonvoy AMEX for the free night while making purchases on other cards.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:53 pm

An update on this. I received a reply today by management. In our conversation, I outlined that the Colbolt AMEX Card would earn 6 Bonvoy Points per $C 1 spent on eats and drinks and that would out-earn the yet-to-be-release Marriott Bonvoy AMEX 5 Bonvoy Points per $C 1 spent in Marriott hotels. Secondly, for catagories of Travel & Transit, the Colbalt would earn 22 Bonvoy points for every $C10 spent while there is no other bonus catagory for Bonvoy AMEX and thus only earn 20 Bonvoy Points for every $c 10 spent... Again, the Colbalt out earns Bonvoy AMEX on the specialty card. Management brought my feedback during meeting and this process would go to marketing department to further impact study before changes may be implemented (or discarded). I am hopeful stuff may happen.

As for what my suggestion was.. I told them to increase normal earning back to 3 Bonvoy points per $C 1 spent and a more generous bonus in flights and hotels catagory. I said if they can't put money in, the other non-as good blunt tool of stopping the bleeding is to block Cobalt from transfering to Marriott Bonvoy. The original intent of blocking Cobalt MR points to Aeroplan was to prevent leak from Aeroplan cards to Colbalt but there was a loophole of Colbalt MR -> SPG/Marriott -> Aeroplan. You close that and there won't be cannabalization of members keeping the Bonvoy AMEX for the free night while making purchases on other cards.
What in the world? This has to be one the most bizarre posts I’ve ever read on this forum. Why would you suggest that they “close the loophole”? It’s not some bug, it’s a feature. If one card earns more than the other in some kind of spending, that’s a good thing, as we can put that spending on the right card. If features are removed to try to make the cards identical, then it strongly hurts the consumer.

Basically your argument is that the new Bonvoy card sucks because cobalt is better, and a great way to solve that is to gimp the cobalt. Because there is close to zero chance that they will up the Bonvoy spend to 3 points for $1 on everything right after the launch. All this stuff was studied so much over the last year, long-term contracts were likely signed, and the usually more generous US cards also saw the reduction to 2 points per dollar. It’s not changing. However, quietly removing a transfer partner on cobalt MR points would be easy to do. And you advocate for this? Why?

The mere fact that you made a “complaint” about this in your first post suggest you have some strange agenda here. I cannot comprehend what it is.

Here you are bragging about possibly being responsible for substantially reducing the return on the platinum card. Please enlighten us as to why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.