Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

15 nights. Just got the email
prmetime likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
My free night cert posted Nov 27!

Reset date is Sept 26.
Annual fee posted Oct 24.
My free night cert posted Dec 1 with the AF posting around Oct 22nd (if memory serves me correct) just in time for me to apply it to an AC Hotel I'm staying at in Times Square on NYE (rack rate was $1000 USD when I booked it)

Originally Posted by annehamnitz
15 nights. Just got the email
Just got it as well. However, doesn't change the calculus for me much for status next year. I automatically have SPMarriott Gold courtesy of United Gold. In order for me to hit Platinum, which arguably is the first relevant status in this new program (in terms of upgrades, lounge access, late check out, etc.) I need to stay 35 nights. Compare that to Hilton where 20 nights is enough to nab Gold for a year with its free breakfast across the chain (I don't believe in staying at the same hotel for more than a night, it goes against my beliefs ). The only downside is Golds don't get guaranteed late checkouts at Hilton whereas Platinums at SPMarriott do!

Originally Posted by *Fan
I relented and applied for the SPG Amex Canada card. I got it yesterday and was surprised to only have a $1500 credit limit. I called Amex Canada and I was told that the credit bureaus consulted are the reason for the $1500 credit limit and that I can call back in 6 months for an increase. I was concerned about the ability to hit $30000 in spend within a year for the Gold Elite Status benefit. However, after reading this thread and learning that a new elite night benefit will be announced, my inclination to cancel the card has passed and I'll wait to see the details of the new elite nights credit..
There are (arguably) easier ways to get SPMarriott status, namely become a United Gold member (50,000 miles on *Alliance + 4 flights on UA metal). I'd argue that the new Gold status is useless these days. Other than the occasional upgrade and if you're lucky late checkout, what else is there to Gold? If anything, you should forgo that and aim for SPMarriott Platinum for the reasons stated above.

All that being said, I would still keep the card. You get 1 free night certificate that can be used anytime at up to a category 5 SPMarriott hotel, which incidentally will also count as a night meaning you only need to have 34 paid nights to hit SPMarriott Platinum. I would be surprised if you aren't able to find a good use for that certificate given SPMarriott hotels easily cost >$100/night in Canada (especially when considering the taxes and fees hotels tack on top to pad their profits).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I got the email too. Anyone know if the USA Chase card 15 night and the Canadien AMEX spgcard 15 night will stack. I know now Multiple chase cards wont stack but I dont know about his combo.

Also I was hoping we would get spend night credits like was mentioned in one of the first emails we got about upcoming changes.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Nimitz
I got the email too. Anyone know if the USA Chase card 15 night and the Canadien AMEX spgcard 15 night will stack. I know now Multiple chase cards wont stack but I dont know about his combo.

Also I was hoping we would get spend night credits like was mentioned in one of the first emails we got about upcoming changes.
I don't know for certain because the T &C's aren't clear. My sense is that one is an Amex and the other one is a Visa (US) so why wouldn't it stack?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Nimitz

I'm pretty sure we are limited to 15 credit card nights regardless of where they came from. Of course, I can't find where that is stated.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:20 pm

I'm pretty sure we are limited to 15 credit card nights regardless of where they came from. Of course, I can't find where that is stated.
N.B. confirmed by TPG ; apparently prior to 2019 it was possible to stack those free elite nights up till the cows come home! However, 2019 onwards members are limited to 15 elite night credits.

-James
yeunganson and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:12 pm

Got it!! I'm shocked, amazed, speechless. The one and only positive thing to happen since the merger

When do these nights get credited to the account........beginning of the year or Anniversary of your card?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
I didn't think the 15 night credit applied to the Canadian SPG Amex. I looked at the Amex website and I can't find this, only for the US card, and there was no email.
Great if it's true.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Also can’t find this info online. We are referring to the Canadian SPG Amex?

Does anyone know if the 15 nights will be applied in 2019 even if I apply before end of year?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vd0t
Also can’t find this info online. We are referring to the Canadian SPG Amex?

Does anyone know if the 15 nights will be applied in 2019 even if I apply before end of year?
Well the name of this thread is the Canadian SPG Amex... It will not apply for 2018. It's starting in 2019 as per the email they sent. It is unclear what happens with new cards but that wasn't the point here as this was sent to current holders.

COMING IN EARLY 2019: Each calendar year, with your Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express®, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits towards the next level of Elite status in the SPG®* Program1.

For example, a Silver Elite status member with the new 15 Elite Night Credits will only need to stay an additional 10 nights a year to earn Gold Elite status or stay an additional 35 nights a year to earn Platinum Elite status.​​​

Terms and Conditions

1. To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Cardmember, your Card Account must be in good standing at the time of the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, and you must have an active Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program account. To receive the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, your Card Account must be linked to an SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account in your name. You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Starwood Preferred Guest Consumer or Small Business credit card account or have more than one SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account. American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit. It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:57 am

I got that email as well. That end part "It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account." makes it sound like you'll get it within 2 months on new cards. Not sure when we'll get it for us current holders, hopefully soon.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
I'm glad they matched the US card with this 15 night credit, this should push me over to PP next year as I typicallly do 60 to 70 nights with Stariott.
prmetime likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

will these 15 night credits count towards lifetime status?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by illico
will these 15 night credits count towards lifetime status?
US SPG Amex free nights never counted towards lifetime status. But Chase Marriott free nights counted towards Marriott lifetime status. Hopefully someone can confirm which it is for Amex free nights to Marriott lifetime status.

Last edited by margarita girl; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:56 am Reason: correction and more info
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:44 am

They never have in the past (with US cards), so I'm going to say no.
The old Chase Marriott in Canada did count for lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.