Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Prestige
Is it three months from the approval date or three months after receiving the card? I’ve only had one statement (May 22) but I must of got approval at the beginning of April sometime. What would have been the earliest, March 30th?
3 months from the day you got approved unfortunately.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:55 pm

I've had mixed results although I also figured out the Paypal route for some on-line sites not offering it. House, car, liability insurances, professional dues, fees, courses - all no go. The exclusions above are kind of a drag as they total fairly significant $'s.

All in all though acceptance has been better than I had anticipated.

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I saved up some of my business spending in anticipation of getting the AMEX. So far so good in acceptance. Some online spending I had to use paypal but so far so good. My customs broker, bell, 407, ups, puro, car insurance (yikes!) all take it.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
So just how secure is the Cdn SPG Amex?

MB and I both ordered this card, him in early April, me in late May. Looking at our card numbers, the first 5 digits are identical (not surprising since I believe the first 4 digits 3733 always indicate an Amex). But the last 4 digits are also identical. So that only leaves the middle 6 digits which are different.

Here's the kicker though. The 4 digit security code on the front of the card is identical for both of us.

So essentially, only the 6 middle digits are different. How hard would it be to generate a bunch of fraudulent cards with these parameters?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:06 am

With Aeroplan Gold Plus, the numbers on the supplemental cards have been exactly the same except the last 2 digits, and with the same 4-digit code. I think it's no big deal, because if they have your card number in the first place, they could just clone that presumably.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supplemental cards are all linked to the same account. I see no problem with them having the same security code.

In my case SPG has no way of knowing that MB and I are related. Different cards and we applied 1.5 months apart. (I doubt that they cross-referenced that we live at the same address.) I suspect that maybe everyone who got an SPG Amex may have the same security code. Granted I'm basing this on a sample of 2, but it greatly concerns me that 2 seemingly unrelated cards have the exact same security code.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jun 6, 2010 at 8:32 am
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:22 pm

30K Gold

I got comp'd to gold as soon as my spending went over 30k even before statement closing date. I'm about 3k away from free night and AX didn't know how I get to use it. I'm just going to have to wait and see.

Points seem to post quicker than MBNA did before. Acceptance has been pretty good and I carry MBNA SC as my backup card.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
30K and 40K bonuses

Thought I'd look at my SPG account online after that last post. It says that I am Gold and if I click on awards earned, my free weekend night is there. That's fast! I have only had one bill for $13,000, but I added it up and I have spent $42,000, so I qualify! Would have never known if I didn't look at my account. I guess my statement would have told me!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:31 am

I've only had 1 bill since i got the card with about 5500 spending. After that bill, I've had about 10k spending - so only about 15k spending since < 2 months ago. I'm planning a vacation in July, so I called SPG to ask if they can upgrade me eventhough I didn't reach 30k yet. I was just saying Gold would help me select SPG properties, and that at this rate I'm going to make 30k for sure. The CSR upgraded me right away - and the member status online was updated in an hour or so.

And BTW, previous to my phone call, my "progress to Gold" was 0 out of 10 stays.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Offer to waive fee for the first year has been extended

Don't think this has been posted yet. The new RSVP code is 10123. But the bonus is only 10K points instead of 11K points IF you spend $1000 in the first 3 months.

Canadian SPG AMEX
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:50 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I must have missed the cutoff day on my last bill. But,

My bonus points have just posted, so all is well.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:21 am

Don't recall seeing this anywhere in this thread as of yet:

If you earn Gold via Amex spend do your stays and nights count towards Plat from the Gold level or from the base level? In other words, do I have to have the required stays for the gap between Gold and Plat or from 0 to Plat?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:52 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Platinum isn't a number of stays above gold, it's a number of total stays for the year. IIRC it's 25 Stays or 50 Nights. But it's worth it... most of the time.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:45 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Don't think this has been posted yet. The new RSVP code is 10123. But the bonus is only 10K points instead of 11K points IF you spend $1000 in the first 3 months.

Canadian SPG AMEX
Just to clarify, old offer was 11K bonus points when you spend $1K in 3 months.
New offer is 10K bonus points on first use.

OP was updated when the new offer started on June 1, but I don't think it was mentioned in the thread dialogue.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Supplemental cards are all linked to the same account. I see no problem with them having the same security code.

In my case SPG has no way of knowing that MB and I are related. Different cards and we applied 1.5 months apart. (I doubt that they cross-referenced that we live at the same address.) I suspect that maybe everyone who got an SPG Amex may have the same security code. Granted I'm basing this on a sample of 2, but it greatly concerns me that 2 seemingly unrelated cards have the exact same security code.
My friend and I compared cards the other day (I'll show you mine if you show me yours) and we also had the same 4 digit security code on the front! We were quite surprised as well. Perhaps since they are printed right on the card (rather than embossed) there are only a limited number of security codes per card series?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I don't know if this is a AMEX issue but when I have to put the CCV # on online purchases I have to add a 0 in front of the 3 digits given on the back of the card. Worked everytime so far. What is up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.