Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:18 am

Just starting to adjust my CC usage now with the new SPG Amex and existing Aerogold.

Seems to me that the best usage would be to use Amex for everything I can other than gas, groceries and drugs which earn 1.5 pts/$ based on the fact that transfers from SPG to AP happen at 1.25pts/$. Where Amex is not accepted use Visa.

Previously AP would not allow transfers from SPG for MBNA purchases - can anyone confirm if there is a similar limitation in regards to Amex pts. earned in SPG?

Excluding the insurance on reward ticket debate, I don't see any meaningful differences in the insurance coverages between the two cards that would push me towards one or the other.

Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by caribbeansun
Seems to me that the best usage would be to use Amex for everything I can other than gas, groceries and drugs which earn 1.5 pts/$ based on the fact that transfers from SPG to AP happen at 1.25pts/$. Where Amex is not accepted use Visa.
Yes...IMO that's the best way to use the card in conjunction with Aerogold Visa.

I have done several transfers online from SPG to Aeroplan with no problems. At least 80% of my miles were from MBNA MC usage.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:54 pm

Smile SPG -- AAdvantage miles

Originally Posted by theshaun
Has anyone converted their SPG point to AAdvantage points? How does it work? How do you do it?
I have converted serveral times. You are suppose to only be able to conver to your own account. I have given points to several different family members AA accoutn and never had a problem. Having said that, every family member I did this with had the same last name.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Well I had the card for a week, statement closed on the 24th, and then:

Earn +11000 04/27/2010 SPG AX CA 1ST PURCH CNSMR-SPG
Earn +1903 04/27/2010 SPG AX CA BASE SPEND CNSMR

Yay!
Old May 2, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Better currency conversion rates than RBC Avion!?

Thought I’d share a little analysis I just conducted on currency conversion rates.

I'm traveling internationally for a while and was concerned about the AMEX conversion method.

I’ve compared the rates on both cards for purchases in Argentinean pesos on the same day and it turns out buying on AMEX is 0.4% CHEAPER after conversion.

I will check again using a different currency this week.

Anybody else can confirm or challenge this?

Last edited by mineauo; May 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm Reason: Correction
Old May 2, 2010, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mineauo
Thought I’d share a little analysis I just conducted on currency conversion rates.

I'm traveling internationally for a while and was concerned about the AMEX conversion method of going from “local currency to USD +2.5%, then USD to CAN +2.5%” versus my RBC Avion which is direct “local to CAN +2.5%". If RBC and AMEX use the same conversion rate before fees, you'd expect the purchases to be 2.5% more expensive overall with AMEX.

I’ve compared the rates on both cards for purchases in Argentinean pesos on the same day and it turns out buying on AMEX is 0.4% CHEAPER after conversion, not 2.5% more expensive as expected. This means the AMEX currency conversion rates before the fees are significantly better than RBC.

I will check again using a different currency this week.

Given that the SPG points are worth a lot more for me (especially when using Cash+Points deals), I will therefore use AMEX in foreign currency whenever possible.

Anybody else can confirm or challenge this?

Thanks for your analysis, but you don't seem to have read either the disclosure statements that came with your card, the cardholder agreement or previous posts in this thread. You're correct that foreign currencies are converted to USD and then to CAD, but there is only one conversion commission of 2.5%.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bacan
Thanks for your analysis, but you don't seem to have read either the disclosure statements that came with your card, the cardholder agreement or previous posts in this thread. You're correct that foreign currencies are converted to USD and then to CAD, but there is only one conversion commission of 2.5%.
Thanks for pointing that out - I had not seen the previous posts on the subject and edited my post accordingly.

The fact remains that on this particular day, AMEX was cheaper than RBC. I will conduct the same analysis on Peruvian Sols this week and report the results here

Cheers,
Old May 3, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG member
Do all Amex close on the 24th? My SPG one does not seem to have closed yet so no SPG points posted yet ... hummm
Old May 3, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by jennieG
Do all Amex close on the 24th? My SPG one does not seem to have closed yet so no SPG points posted yet ... hummm
Definitely not all. My SPG Amex closes on the 20th.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG member
It would seem that mine might be close around the 20th too. Got the card on the 20th but only started charging on 21st. I have gone over my 1K but still not closed nor any statements. Sweet ... no payment for another month too.

OK. Will just have to be patient.

It is nice to see others here that already got their 11K bonus as well as their SPG points so rapidly.

Going to the Westin next week so that should help with more SPG points!
Old May 3, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
My statement closed on the 26th, and the 11,00 bonus points have posted already.
Old May 7, 2010, 4:49 pm

Where does one find what their SPG # is? Do I need to call AMEX and ask? I couldn't find the information in my first statement.

Did not have a pre-existing SPG membership on application so (presumably) one will be assigned to me.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hockeyfan12
Where does one find what their SPG # is? Do I need to call AMEX and ask? I couldn't find the information in my first statement.

Did not have a pre-existing SPG membership on application so (presumably) one will be assigned to me.
You could call Starwood Preferred Guest and ask them if it has been created yet. 888-625-4988.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 8, 2010, 7:24 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
As noted in the OP, the current offer (first year free, 11K bonus points) is ends May 31.

Also noted in the OP, the same offer will be extended to Gold and Plat members until March 2011, but hasn't been announced officially yet making some wonder if it is OK to wait.

NEW INFO: This will be announced to Gold and Platinum members "after June".
Old May 12, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
2 GBP purchases on Sunday, conversion rates
Bank rate: 1.52ish

Mastercard: 1.559 (~2.5%)
Amex: 1.585 (~4.5%)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.