Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:07 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I applied for the card online, and it looked like it was going to approve instantly, but at the end it surprised me with the 'you'll have to wait' for your approval. I didn't think much of if, and certainly wasn't going to call and ask.

It arrived in the mail a few days ago (about 2 weeks from applying). But there was no indication of the credit line. I activated it, then called into the phone system to check my balance. It's got a pretty low credit limit, but then again, I've got lots of cards and don't need any more credit.

Anyway, looking forward to using it at the SPG properties....
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:14 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
update on the exchange charges

[QUOTE=yeunganson;13810195]I am heading Japan next week too..

AMEX changes from JPD to USD (loss in exchange spread), and then USD to CAD (lose another exchange spread) and finally a 2.5% fee.

MC/VISA changes from JPD to CAD (loss in exchange spread) and then slap the 2.5% fee.

So basically, using AMEX, we will lose extra money on the exchange spread between the banks. Now, how much is that exchange spread relative to the amount?? 1%? 2%?

[QUOTE]

I went online shopping in Japanese store and got bought something that was 60000 yen yesterday. (so the stuff will be ready when I visit next week)

Under official exchange rate (from www.x-rate.com) I got for April 20 -day of purchase:
60000 yen - $C 654.24

With AMEX:
60000 yen converted to $C 683.81 (ie $C 29.57 extra)

With caclualtions
29.57/654.24 x 100% = 4.52%

So, if we are overseas and use AMEX, we will be paying 4.52% higher (including conversion fees) than the official conversion rate.

Now question is... how is VISA/MC? Is it also just the exchange rate + 2.5%?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
yeunganson - re:exchange rates, yes AMEX is the WORST from my experience.

I go to the USA often, and have done a few experiments. At the same gas station I put in $10 AMEX, $10 Visa $10 MC.

Amex about 4.5%
Visa about 3.5%
MC about 3.8% over forex posted rates.

Now I think unless you are a banker or get special bank rates, you are always probably paying atleast .5% - 1.5% over forex rates.

So yes cash is usually the best (but no earning FF points)

PS I have not tested the cards in Japan yet. Also sometime the fluctuation comes from when the credit card company posts the transaction. In my transactions at gas stations, they often posted on different days.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Just rec'd mine today. Read the insurance policies in details...IT SUCKED! Royal & Sun Alliance is the underwriter for most travel benefits - all stripped down versions with bare minimun benefits. I disliked my RBC Avion Infinite & USD Gold travel insurances when compared to a standalone one from Blue Cross. But now compared to AMEX SPG, RBC looked great.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I've received my first statement from Amex about 5 business days ago, but still haven't received the points yet. Anyone get the points from their SPG Amex yet?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I've received my first statement from Amex about 5 business days ago, but still haven't received the points yet. Anyone get the points from their SPG Amex yet?
my last statement date is April 20th, and I received the SPG points on April 22nd.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: A Few
Statement Date - April 21...points credited to SPG April 22.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Read up, I was the first to answer this, before it was even asked.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Read up, I was the first to answer this, before it was even asked.
Sorry, missed your post. No need to bite my head off

Gave them a call, and I had my Aeroplan # in there instead of my SPG #. All should be good now.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA
Has anyone converted their SPG point to AAdvantage points? How does it work? How do you do it?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Sorry, missed your post. No need to bite my head off

Gave them a call, and I had my Aeroplan # in there instead of my SPG #. All should be good now.
Don't worry I don't bite, I'm inoffensive, unless I get bad service.
Enjoy the SPG Amex! ^
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by theshaun
Has anyone converted their SPG point to AAdvantage points? How does it work? How do you do it?
Go to this page and do the transfer online.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...tner_list.html
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:10 pm

No card to be seen

I applied the first day.........Was approved the first day.........Still have seen no signs of my card........I have called Amex twice
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
You should get them if you have spent the required $1000 already but no points are given until the $1000 is spent in the first 3 months.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
To be clear, regular points from purchases are given. The 11K bonus isn't given until the $1K spend is reached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.