Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:33 pm

It's not a feature of the Canadian card (although it really should be imo).

By way of comparison in the Canadian market, none of the Aeroplan cards give extra points for spending on Air Canada. However, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Marriott and Westjet credit cards in Canada -- basically every other airline/hotel card in Canada -- all give you extra points for spending on their particular airline/hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:33 am

[QUOTE=caribbeansun;13704032]It was disclosed in the T&C - right after you entered the 11000 RSVP code

AMEX

Foreign Currency Conversion

Charges in a currency other than Canadian dollars will be converted into Canadian dollars on the date we process the charge. If the charge is not in U.S. dollars, it will first be converted to U.S. dollars and then into Canadian dollars. If the charge is in U.S. dollars, it will be converted directly into Canadian dollars. Conversion rates are based on interbank rates selected from customary industry sources on the business day prior to the processing date, increased by a single conversion commission of 2.5% of each charge.

I received my card, too, and re-read this and it is a real sore point as I will be dividing my time between Berlin and Canada. This doesn't make it a true 'Canadian' card and is such a fee grab. It feels as if we pretend to offer you colonists our services but get extra fees through the back door. I will be using another card for Europe.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: A Few
15 days and counting.

Still waiting for our cards here in YYC. We were approved on launch day, March 31. There is no way ours cards were mailed next day as AMEX said they would be.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
15 days and counting.

Still waiting for our cards here in YYC. We were approved on launch day, March 31. There is no way ours cards were mailed next day as AMEX said they would be.
Approved launch day and live 5km from the Amex Canada HQ. Zero sign of the cards....
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: JGC
I am wondering if anyone on the west coast has received the card yet???
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:24 pm
tjw

Received card yesterday(YVR)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by casper22
Approved launch day and live 5km from the Amex Canada HQ. Zero sign of the cards....
Me too. Amex Canada HQ is just down the street from my house. I drive past it everyday!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:46 pm

Mine came yesterday, and I'm in Cowtown. I applied on the 1st day, and was conditionally approved after application.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: JGC
Got mine today (in vancouver). no sign of 15K bonus, though
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC*E, AS MVPG, AA Gold, PC Plt Amb, SPG, Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by mitsou_jpn
I am wondering if anyone on the west coast has received the card yet???
Mine arrived yesterday too.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Well I, like most here, have had the card for a few days now. I've put all my purchases on the card and will continue using it as my primary card. I keep a backup MBNA Smartcash...

I don't spend that much in a year - $30,000 to $40,000 so I get to maintain my gold status. - I can also transfer to Aeroplan at 1.25pts / 1dollar - so this card is quite good for me because I, unlike most FT's here, do not fly around the world and stay at hotels all the time (3-4 times a year for pleasure trips only).

I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised that most places do take AMEX. Loblaws doesn't, so I don't shop there anymore. Belairdirect doesn't take it (condo policy), so I cancelled with them yesterday and signed up with CAA (and got to save money too). My hair stylist doesn't either, but he's awesome so I'll stay with him. Other than that...all other places take AMEX...

So I, for one, have noticed a lot of negativity here towards AMEX since this thread began, but I am definitely a happy camper!!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Even this guy from Atlantic Canada got his card before folks in Toronto, cool! We're usually the last getting stuff over here... nice for a change, thanks Amex!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Apr 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC-Prestige, BMI-Silver, SPG-Gold,
I applied for Personal SPG Amex on Apr 2, and received my card this past Tuesday.

Business SPG Amex applied on Mar 31, ....and still no sign of the card yet??

I'm in Toronto
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ticklemebenny
Business SPG Amex applied on Mar 31, ....and still no sign of the card yet?
got the Biz SPG AMEX today (Winnipeg); activated and spending as I type!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Just got mine in the mail today (April 15)... applied the first day.

GTA Area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.