Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Unlike my previous stays, I received two drink vouchers (good for house red or white wine, bud, bud light, miller lite, and coors lite), a $10 credit towards a meal (I assume this is for lunch or dinner), and a $13 credit towards breakfast for Saturday or Sunday only. This was in addition to my platinum amenity, which I always have to ask for.

Glad the hotel is finally offering something on the weekend when the Lounge is closed.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
April 2013 Update

On the Good Side...
- hotel seems pretty new
- rooms (at least the one I'm in) are bigger than average.
- rooms nicely appointed
- bar was OK. Had a beer for $3.50 which is cheap.
- location is in an office/Mixed use residential park
- Lots of food options about a mile away. And easy walk.

The fair or bad...
- The club lounge was just "okay"

– The club lounge is actually located in the lobby of the six floor right when you get out of the elevators it's a weird location

- When I checked into my room, I walked down the hallway and there were about 10 trays of dirty dishes sitting in front of rooms. I checked in at 5 PM. Those must have been sitting there the whole day. I never complain, but it actually called the front desk and asked the girl to have them removed. It was pretty gross. About an hour later, they were picked up.

Overall...

Overall, it's an okay hotel. It's pretty new so things are in good condition. If you like to walk or jog, it's in a good spot for that. I would stay here again if the rate was lower than the Westin or the Sheraton Tyson Corner.

This is my first stay and I would like to give it another chance. I certainly did not get that "warm and fuzzy feeling". I think management has some work to do to make it a "Homey" atmosphere.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Stayed on a cheap $59 AAA prepaid rate, overall very good value.

Lounge - closed on the weekends. Drinks were not restocked after Friday. FD staff gave us breakfast vouchers for the breakfast buffet in the mornings. You need to ask for the Evening Appetizer coupons, $10 voucher for food only. If you book 2 people per room, you can ask for 2 of these as per the Manager.

Bar/Restaurant - Happy Hour every evening 5-7pm. $3 beers/wines - $5 cocktails. $5 appetizers (combinable with the $10 vouchers). Standard bar food, solid, nothing special.

Breakfast buffet has a few juices/coffee, muffins, bagels, fruit, eggs, bacon/sausage, and eggo waffles (or the costco/kirkland equivalent, literally). The manager's typically ok using the breakfast voucher for 1 menu item instead, but the servers will usually fight you on this. I'd avoid the breakfast buffet, it's not the worst I've had, but the fresh made items are much better.

Service - Saw plenty of dirty dishes with old food in the hallways just sit there all weekend.

Not a bad hotel for a mattress run, especially as it is a newer property and it's very close to Dulles Airport and they have a shuttle, though I've read that the shuttle service can be spotty. For about $66 (including taxes), I got a night/stay credit, $20 of food in the evening, $26 of food in the morning and some points, not too shabby.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question weekend vs. weekday stay?

Thanks for the update!
I will be there on Oct 3, so I appreciate the update.
It sounds like its a better "deal" to stay on the weekend and take the vouchers? (since the lounge isn't that great?)
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Dropped by again. Gold (and asking the front desk at check-in) got me upgraded to Club Floor. Breakfast was good enough before heading out, but, like others have said, is nothing special. Didn't try in-room internet, but 4SQ indicated it was slow. For under $70, it's still a bargain and convenient to IAD.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
special rates through 6 December

Rates at this property are available from $59 on spg.com (through 6 Dec).

The Westin (next door) is $67. Both properties have a free shuttle.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:16 pm

bargain for a weekend stay. Restaurant breakfast and $10 F&B credit down stairs everyday-- they even give you coupons for $2/$3 off drinks at the bar.
Happy hour is either half off or $5 (probably differ by the bartender) so for $10 you get 2 or 3 appetizer. The quality of the food is nothing remarkable, however.
Breakfast downstairs is pretty basic. It's like a regular club breakfast + 1 hot item, and minus the espresso machine...

Understaffed (always) and advertising at low prices, I don't think this hotel is well run. In general I dislike the décor either -- Rockvill/BWI/Dulles, all three Sheraton are the same and they feel old and dark, and in no way classy (though I think that's what they are trying). I kind of see these connected --understaffed, bad food, low prices, bad décor, etc.

It's a good bargain for a mattress run, and I feel like that I am ripping off the hotel. But if one's non-plat there's basically no point staying here. Would rather pay ~$10 more and stay at the westin next door for IAD purposes.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I have a Saturday layover at the Sheraton Dulles before a early Sunday flight shortly, and would like to avoid driving a rental into Georgetown to meet up with friends.

Does anybody know if the hotel shuttle goes to the silver line metro station in Reston an/or if taxis can be expected to be available at the metro coming back Saturday evening ?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:21 am

I spoke to the front desk a couple of minutes ago, and they told me the shuttle will not take you to/from the Metro.

While I am not 100% certain about taxi availability on the silver line, I think you'd be OK. There are usually a surplus of taxis waiting at Vienna, terminus for the orange line.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:48 am

There are always plenty of Uber cars in that area, and the hotel can also give you the phone number of the local taxi. You'll be fine in either case.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I'm not convinced this place functions as a hotel on the weekends so much as a place that sells elite nights for $59 each. The last time I was there (on a Friday afternoon), I saw several people with no baggage just check in and leave. It would certainly explain the understaffing...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I'm not convinced this place functions as a hotel on the weekends so much as a place that sells elite nights for $59 each. The last time I was there (on a Friday afternoon), I saw several people with no baggage just check in and leave. It would certainly explain the understaffing...
LOL, that's not such a bad thing, is it?

Wish there is such a property near where I live, although as a Lifetime Platinum, I am looking more for cheap HHONORS properties these days
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
And you didn't say hi to me? And it's $59 PLUS breakfast vouchers on the weekend. Breakfast isn't the best, but it beats cooking sometimes. Soft drinks are available on the Club Floor as well
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by raunow
I have a Saturday layover at the Sheraton Dulles before a early Sunday flight shortly, and would like to avoid driving a rental into Georgetown to meet up with friends.

Does anybody know if the hotel shuttle goes to the silver line metro station in Reston an/or if taxis can be expected to be available at the metro coming back Saturday evening ?
Highly suggest you take Uber or a taxi on a weekend. The hotel-Georgetown public transportation commute is miserable on weekends, especially with track maintenance and early closing times.

OTOH, on a weekday with more frequent metro runnings, public trans might make more sense. And in that case, I would suggest either:

5A Dulles Express Bus to Rosslyn station, then Circulator to Georgetown
Silver Line to Courthouse station then 38B bus to Georgetown
Old May 2, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Any idea when the club lounge opens in the morning?

I have an early flight at 7:50 on a Wednesday and would like to know whether it will open at 6 am or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.