Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer

All in all, a disappointment.
+1.

Had a stay here ~2 weeks ago. Upon arrival was u/g to lounge floor-regular room. Was told snacks 6pm-9pm, breakfast 6am-9am. (Checked in on a Thursday).

1 of the 2 elevators wasnt working-took FOREVER to get up to the room-and only after a bunch of people complained did they "turn on" the second elevator!

Went to lounge for snacks at 6, nope. 630,nope. 7 I went to front desk to ask when the snacks were out-did i miss them, etc??? Was told that they just found out that an employee decided not to show up! No backup plans either!

No problem-just went for dinner. Hit the lounge for brekkie at 6 (which I thought was early for it to open, but had to be out by 7) and nothing there. Called front desk-said it doesnt start until 630-645. Ok-wait until 645 and go to lounge...no brekkie. No COFFEE, nothing! Check out of room and head downstairs, and the front desk employee tells me that "because it is the WEEKEND we dont open!" Last time I checked Friday was still a weekday!

She did offer coupons for the restaurant, but it was too late...I needed grab and go.

I brought these incidents up on a phone call with the GM. He was very nice, but never offered any points for the inconvenience (or the fact that it cost me $$$ due to no lounge offerings).

With so many good (better) choices in the area-I wont be back.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
Decent Stay

The hotel is in good shape. I loved the TV, and the bathroom! The bfast in the morning is not very good, but I loved the coffee machine in the lounge.

The wireless internet was pretty horrible in the rooms, but worked perfectly in the lobby. The gym was very clean and nice. Pool was also nice, and they had an on duty lifeguard, which I rarely see.

I didnt encounter any major service issues, however, many of my coworkers had complains about the front desk staff.

All in all, it was a decent stay, wouldnt mind returning there.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

Was told snacks 6pm-9pm, breakfast 6am-9am. (Checked in on a Thursday).

Went to lounge for snacks at 6, nope. 630,nope. 7 I went to front desk to ask when the snacks were out-did i miss them, etc??? Was told that they just found out that an employee decided not to show up! No backup plans either!

Hit the lounge for brekkie at 6 (which I thought was early for it to open, but had to be out by 7) and nothing there. Called front desk-said it doesnt start until 630-645. Ok-wait until 645 and go to lounge...no brekkie. No COFFEE, nothing! Check out of room and head downstairs, and the front desk employee tells me that "because it is the WEEKEND we dont open!" Last time I checked Friday was still a weekday!

She did offer coupons for the restaurant, but it was too late...I needed grab and go.

I brought these incidents up on a phone call with the GM. He was very nice, but never offered any points for the inconvenience (or the fact that it cost me $$$ due to no lounge offerings).
As I said in the recent San Juan thread where the property closed the lounge for the heck of it and didn't warn guests, PLEASE contact SPG Customer Care.

Otherwise, the properties will continue to do this since there will be no repercussions. None.

Per William: "For hotel-related complaints....contact Corporate Customer Service (CCS) toll-free at 1-800-328-6242 or send them an email at [email protected]."

I think this is pretty important and it will take about 3 minutes to send an email to Starwood. Just cut and paste what you wrote here.

The Lurkers can correct me if I am wrong, but properties are penalized ($$$) when customers open Customer Care files. I am not sure how much money is involved, but it will be cheaper to make sure the lounge is staffed than to continually pay fines.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Originally Posted by silverfalls
If you are a Virginia resident, use Virginia rate ID 388108 to save another 10%, mine comes to a total of $57 odd something including tax^...Just checked out and they already emailed me the receipt..
Is there a trick to using this?

I'm choosing the 'Promotion Code' option from the Rate Preferences dropdown on spg.com, enter the magic #, and it throws an error saying the code is invalid.

Or perhaps it has simply been revoked?

twj
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Wow, surprised at all the negative comments.

I've logged more than 15 nights here as mattress runs since free weekends started, and my observations:

1) Always upgraded to club floor, always offered breakfast vouchers for 2 that get you side + main + drink from the breakfast menu. That's a 2x25 value, or over 75% of the room rate

2) Yes, the staff are a bit "slow." I see the same few nearly every check-in, and not one recognizes me. Somewhat disappointing.

3) I see the point from the guy who arrived at 3am to people "boozing it up and making out out front." I've noticed (perhaps due to the low rates) a fairly sketchy looking clientelle a few times. Seems to be lots of large groups and "down home family reunion" types. This isn't a Four Seasons...

4) That said, the place has been spotless and quiet in the rooms

5) Did I mention it's frequently $55-59 a night?!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This hotel is the most inconsistent hotel I've ever stayed at. This is a matress-run property only. I would never stay here for business or for personal travel. The weekend rates are incredible. I've gotten rates as low as $54-$55 in the past, and a $59 or $69 rate is quite common. I view it as this: for about $200 I get 1 free weekend night worldwide (up to cat 6), around 2K SPG points, 3 more "stays" towards Plat renewal, and 3K AAdvantage FFMs. Plus, this helps in getting the bonus 4K SPG points from the "Rewarding Returns" program that just started on the 1st.

As for the hotel:

Yes, the FD staff is aloof at best. I've been given my Plat breakfast coupons at check-in, and in the same turn, not been asked what I wanted for my Plat amenity. How do you miss that? Also, in the past, when the stay has occured when the lounge was not open (like on weekends), I've been given a coupon for a free bar drink and another for a free appetizer. But not always, this practice seems to be very random, and I would venture to guess that it no longer exists since this hasn't occured in a few months.

Now the lounge. It's in the elevator waiting area on the 6th Floor. It's not big, and when the traffic getting on or coming off the elevator with their luggage occurs, the place can become awkward to maneuver. There is very little seating area, and even less area to place your food and drink (for an area that consists of a sofa and two end chairs at each side, those lucky guests get to share a round table the size of a lamp table). And one of my biggest pet peeves about this lounge is that there is never a tray stand set up to leave your dishes, so everyone just puts them on the counters where the food items are. I can't believe that no one on the staff has come up with the solution to an easily fixable problem; but read my comment about the FD staff to get a better understanding. The lounge food is fine, nothing to rave or complain about. There's also free beer and wine.

The rooms have always been clean. I've never had a room with a bathtub, just a walkin shower with sliding glass doors. The flat screen TV is good size. The wireless internet can be slow if you're in a room far from the modem. IIRC toll-free calls are $1.50, but local calls are 50 cents (go figure the logic for those rate determinations). I have seen people with dogs in the lobby getting into the elevators. So this appears to be a pet acceptable hotel. Which is not a plus in my book since hotels really don't put that much effort in cleaning these rooms after check-out if they don't have to. But like I said, so far I've only experienced clean rooms here.

The shuttle from over-hearing guest complaints is unreliable at times. They share the service with the Hyatt Place next door, and there seems to be such bad co-ordination between the two.

As for the "riff-raff" congregating late at night in front of the hotel, I've seen them and they appear to be guests not locals (the housing and rent prices surrounding the hotel is not low-end). This hotel does a lot of Airport Accomodations referals. So my guess is that those people are just relieving some stress from a hectic day of travel.

To this hotel's credit though, they did give Plats free internet long before the new policy went into effect.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I'm a bit surprised at the negative reviews- I guess YMMV.

I've stayed here (and am currently staying at the property) about a dozen times since they've opened- great low rates, excellent service to me, and no problems with leaving my car while flying out of Dulles.

The front desk agents remember my name, always mention my status and that I uswually like points for the Plat amenity, and give me breakfast vouchers and extra drink chits.

I've been able to check in early (as early as 6am) on numerous occasions with no problem, even on days they were sold out the night before.

I had a shower with a tub for the first time. It was in a double room. No big deal.

The shuttle can be a little inconsistent- they try to run it every half hour, which isn't always helpful on the arriving from Dulles side of things.

All in all, though, I've had great stays/service at this property, and with the low rates will continue to use it to requal for Plat.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I'm a bit surprised at the negative reviews- I guess YMMV.

I've stayed here (and am currently staying at the property) about a dozen times since they've opened- great low rates, excellent service to me, and no problems with leaving my car while flying out of Dulles.

The front desk agents remember my name, always mention my status and that I uswually like points for the Plat amenity, and give me breakfast vouchers and extra drink chits.

I've been able to check in early (as early as 6am) on numerous occasions with no problem, even on days they were sold out the night before.

I had a shower with a tub for the first time. It was in a double room. No big deal.

The shuttle can be a little inconsistent- they try to run it every half hour, which isn't always helpful on the arriving from Dulles side of things.

All in all, though, I've had great stays/service at this property, and with the low rates will continue to use it to requal for Plat.
I agree with you Pete.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Originally Posted by tegwj
Is there a trick to using this?

I'm choosing the 'Promotion Code' option from the Rate Preferences dropdown on spg.com, enter the magic #, and it throws an error saying the code is invalid.

Or perhaps it has simply been revoked?

twj
The code is still active, it's not a "Promotional Code"...

Select SET/Corporate Acct # and type the magic number to see the discount applied

Last edited by silverfalls; Jul 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Staying here tonight before my flight out of IAD tomorrow morning. The hotel seems fine. Have a corner room on the 6th floor which is nice enough although the light bulb in the lamp next to the bed was burned out and the a/c didn't work properly. Wasn't offered any breakfast vouchers but it is a weekday tomorrow so I'm assuming the lounge offers a breakfast (nothing was said at check-in). Front desk personnel were perfunctory at best but I liked that - took <3 minutes to check-in and get to my room.

UPDATED:

This morning the shower door fell off its tracks and shattered a bit. Additionally, wallpaper was falling off the wall underneath the window. I mentioned it to the GM. He could not have been more apologetic and nice about things. While I was outside waiting for the shuttle the assistant manager came up and apologized as well. I'm always impressed with the way that people "recover" and take care of issues when they're brought up to them. This property did it perfectly.

Last edited by ldsant; Oct 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Since October this property is no longer providing FREE BREAKFAST during weekends(At least I did not receive any). I used to receive every single time before that.

As usual the staffs are lazy and don't remember you even after 40 plus stays in the last 5 months alone. But this has been one of the best property for me for MRs
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by silverfalls
Since October this property is no longer providing FREE BREAKFAST during weekends(At least I did not receive any). I used to receive every single time before that.
Had an upcoming weekend night booked here and called the front desk to find out about free breakfast for Plats. Was told that they do not do that and so switched my stay to the Westin Dulles which confirmed that they do. Worth it for just a few $s more.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Bummer about breakfast. I've got both the Sheraton and Westin booked for a one-night stay, and I guess this will be the determining factor. (The Westin is whole $0.20 cheaper, too!)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Stayed last night for a one night stay.

Check-in was smooth: Check-in was quick, staff was very friendly, thanked me for being Platinum. I was given a breakfast coupon for the hotel restaurant as the lounge is closed on Sundays. I was given the options for a Plat member and chose the 500 points.

Room: Upgraded to a club level room. As this property does not have suites, this is as good as it gets. For $55, it works. My room had a mini-fridge that was stocked with pepsi, diet pepsi, water, V8 and orange juice. I also had a fruit/cheese/crackers plate in the fridge. Being confused I called the front desk and was told that the fridge was for me as a valued Platinum customer and everything in it was complimentary. Awesome! ^^^^

Breakfast: Service was good and had a wonderful southwestern burrito (eggs, onions, salsa, chorizo) and orange juice (tasted fresh but not fresh squeezed, think Tropicana Grovestand).

Check-out: The only downside of my stay. The Front-desk clerk was seated at the bar chatting with the breakfast waitress and it took her a while to respond to me being at the front desk. When she arrived she was not friendly. I had to ask for a folio (one was not under my door), the folios were stacked on the front desk. When I asked whether my 500pt Plat bonus had been properly processed she said yes, but I'm not sure how she could tell this without touching her computer as the folio certainly didn't say anything!

After Check-out: Terrible. About noon today I got an updated folio via e-mail with a circa 16$ charge for my comped breakfast. I called the hotel and spoke to the same lady who had checked me out who assured me that I did not get a complimentary breakfast because if I had they would not have charged me.

I asked her to check with the server anyways (perhaps the front-desk clerk was protecting her friend, the server for making an error?) and was instead connected to another hotel employee (the manager on duty) who confirmed that I was granted a complimentary breakfast and that the charge would be reversed.

End Result: Up until the post check-out charge I had had a spectacular stay. Normally I stay at the Aloft Dulles North before early days at IAD, but as long as I can get $55-59 I'll keep coming here to the Sheraton.

Last edited by dcstudent; Feb 6, 2011 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Jekyll and Hyde?

Stayed last night because I needed to be at IAD early and the Sheraton was still offering a $55 rate....Completely different experience than last week, and perhaps I should not have been so quick to say I liked this hotel. Anywho...

Arrived at 6pm yesterday 2/5/2011. There was one young lady at the check-in counter and she was on the phone giving directions. I was the only person waiting to check-in. She got off the phone, did not recognize me (as in saying Hello or some such) and immediately answered the next call.

When she did get around to checking me in she did recognize my Platinum Status and thanked me for being a returning guest. She also asked me what I wanted as my amenity (I took the points). She told me I was upgraded to a club floor room (as good as it gets at this hotel). Unlike last week, I was not offered complimentary breakfast.

I went up to the room and it was clean as expected. However, unlike my last stay, I was not provided with a mini-fridge stocked with soda/water/juice or given any type of food.

I slept just fine and was checked-out by the same young lady as last week. She seemed to hate her job even more this week than she had last week. Not very friendly at all.

Conclusions: I just wish this hotel was consistent with their Plat treatment. Last week I was amazed and thought I would not need to return to the IAD Westin or the Aloft Dulles North. I mean, cheese plate, fridge with drinks (because lounge closed), complimentary breakfast, friendly check-in staff, AWESOME!

This week: Nothing. In fact the only thing consistent week-to-week was the unfriendliness of the check-out clerk.

And, I know that they didn't have to do any of what they did for me last week. But, if you're going to be extra nice to Plats be consistent about it. If the Sheraton had treated me as well this week as last I may well have switched many of the rest of my annual bookings to the Sheraton from the Westin and the Aloft. Now, not so sure. If I'm only going to get a bed, I can stay at the Aloft where at least I get a welcome gift + plat amenity + free gourmet coffee drinks...every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.