Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hofu
Got a Continental / Chase credit card promo that states from 5/11-7/11 get 2X miles on "...retail, entertainment & dining purchases..."

Anyone know if US Mint coints qualify?
I would think so but prefer get some real world experience.

Thank you!
Yes, it is a purchase.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by User Name
Judging my Ts&Cs on recent similar Chase promos I have received on other cards then I think the answer is no. What do your Ts&Cs say?
Hmmmmmmmm! On recent Chase promos in my world, BA and Continental have worked as long as the promo includes RETAIL purchases. I have received the bonus on ALL transactions.

My Chase Continental 2x promo ran 3/1-4/30. I have already received my bonus from this promo on ALL purchases that I made during this time period.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
What's up with the freaking mint? I need my coins!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by elkhornne
We should start a game to see who can give coins to the most unusually place or person.
I've spent some of mine at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station gift shop on Antarctica.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Thanks for the data points!

Originally Posted by Andy2
I have purchased coins with my BA Visa card and I have received the miles.

It isn't a card I use much, so I have had months in which $2,000 - $3,000 of coin purchases were the only charges.

It seems that most of the Chase cancellations were back in the good old days when someone could order amounts each month equal to the credit limit on the card.

Now the maximums for coins each month are so low, my personal opinion is that the credit card company isn't going to get concerned about it, particularly Chase.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
If I have a Chase credit card statement, has anyone walked into a Chase Bank and paid their balance with coins? Or their Discover bill at Sears? Etc?

I see CoinStar added Albertsons Grocery Store in the state of Washington (http://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCoun...ail/Albertsons). If you order the coins, you can get free counting via CoinStar if you print out an Albertsons GC code. I don't know what limitations are, but it would be good if you could buy credit card gift cards or gas cards with the Albertsons GC from CoinStar.

Looks like CoinStar also offers GreenDot Pre Paid Debit Cards (http://www.coinstarinc.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-2). I don't know what the upper limit on coin counting is nor the GreenDot topping limit nor if they charge a fee for coin counting. It is a lot of variables, but may be worth investigating for some?

Last edited by sunk818; Jun 2, 2011 at 12:25 am
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunk818
If I have a Chase credit card statement, has anyone walked into a Chase Bank and paid their balance with coins? Or their Discover bill at Sears? Etc?
I would think if U tried doing this with Chase and they will look in most cases and see if the coins were purchased using their CC and if it was , you wont have to worry about how to pay it off after this , as they most likely will close up the CC and possibly even any other Chase ones you have

Again its a YMMV, didnt happen to me but once when I paid it using 300 in coins , they checked to see if I used the CC to get them as they were checking that is what they told me. Its a good thing they didnt check another of my Chase CCs since I used a different 1, but did find that 1 1/2 months before I did use the CC to get the coins and didnt want to to take them, till I said and you think I simply put them in a corner and watered them the past few weeks to see if they will yield any more coins?

Out of all the banks I use/used Chase put up the biggest hassles , and thats when it went into my savings acct, and 2 branches even refused to take < $500 to pay off a CC

Havent been to Chase with any for well over a year and no plans to bring them there either

I would say if you bring some ($200) along with bills to pay it off and you didnt purchase it using that CC in the past couple of months you might get away with it, but no way would I try to use them to pay it off if it appears either on that statement or on the next one
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Truth Commission
I've spent some of mine at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station gift shop on Antarctica.
That's one for the books. ^
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by elkhornne
That's one for the books. ^
that is a great one!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sunk818

I see CoinStar added Albertsons Grocery Store in the state of Washington (http://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCoun...ail/Albertsons). If you order the coins, you can get free counting via CoinStar if you print out an Albertsons GC code. I don't know what limitations are, but it would be good if you could buy credit card gift cards or gas cards with the Albertsons GC from CoinStar.

Looks like CoinStar also offers GreenDot Pre Paid Debit Cards (http://www.coinstarinc.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-2). I don't know what the upper limit on coin counting is nor the GreenDot topping limit nor if they charge a fee for coin counting. It is a lot of variables, but may be worth investigating for some?
Why not just use your credit card at albertsons instead? You will get the miles or points without having to deal with coins. Also some credit cards give bonus miles/points at grocery stores like the Hilton Am Ex.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Why not just use your credit card at albertsons instead? You will get the miles or points without having to deal with coins. Also some credit cards give bonus miles/points at grocery stores like the Hilton Am Ex.
hmmm they take CCs?

well that means Im still in the lead for when I sent my kid to the school with coins to buy food

now she's known as the coin kid. lol it starts even at the age of 5, people! even at 5
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
has everyone stopped ordering NA conis and now ordering TJ and JM?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by aragno
has everyone stopped ordering NA conis and now ordering TJ and JM?
Why would they stop ordering NA? I'm a newbie here, just ordered some NA last week & they haven't shipped yet.

Oops! When I checked earlier today they hadn't shipped. When I checked just now they shipped today.

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Jun 2, 2011 at 7:35 am Reason: they shipped
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Very limited supply of coins at the Mint. I think they're on to us.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
hmmm they take CCs?

well that means Im still in the lead for when I sent my kid to the school with coins to buy food

now she's known as the coin kid. lol it starts even at the age of 5, people! even at 5
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Why would they stop ordering NA? I'm a newbie here, just ordered some NA last week & they haven't shipped yet.

Oops! When I checked earlier today they hadn't shipped. When I checked just now they shipped today.
The backorder date for the NA coins is up to mid-June, but the other coins are showing expected date around 08-June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.