Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by nshelledy
I would call and inquire about it - that's the only way I ever got mine.
As I updated in my post, this was in the past and I did call with various excuses and rectifications. I'd rate the Mint's phone support overall as very poor, though occasionally you do get a rep who can get things done. Seems they're geared to really just take orders, not resolve problems or answer questions on why orders are delayed.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
I read the FAQs and believe that there are no issues with using the US Mint purchases to make minimum spend requirements of new card bonus offers. However there are the occasional comments in other threads about treatment as 'quasi cash' etc enough that I'd like the input of the coin 'think tank' from this thread.

So my question is.... Are there any issues on the card side with purchases (1 max per card) to meet the minimum spend requirements of the following issueers:

Citi AAdvantage

Amex Delta

Capital One (Venture)

I do appreciate your answers.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I read the FAQs and believe that there are no issues with using the US Mint purchases to make minimum spend requirements of new card bonus offers. However there are the occasional comments in other threads about treatment as 'quasi cash' etc enough that I'd like the input of the coin 'think tank' from this thread.

So my question is.... Are there any issues on the card side with purchases (1 max per card) to meet the minimum spend requirements of the following issueers:

I do appreciate your answers.
Any card found to have problems is listed in the FAQ.

Those that do not have problems are typically not mentioned.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, DL
My order was canceled, but it takes forever for them to take the authorization hold off my credit card. I only have a $1k line, and so a $1k hold means the card is unusable until they do. It's been more than 2 weeks, anybody else had this problem? I call the Mint, they say there's nothing they can do, the order's canceled. I call the credit card, they say the Mint has to call them to remove the charge. Frustrating!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tslugmo
My order was canceled, but it takes forever for them to take the authorization hold off my credit card. I only have a $1k line, and so a $1k hold means the card is unusable until they do. It's been more than 2 weeks, anybody else had this problem? I call the Mint, they say there's nothing they can do, the order's canceled. I call the credit card, they say the Mint has to call them to remove the charge. Frustrating!
I like to play this coin game but I would not consider playing if it were to have possible affects on my credit. therefore i will not charge more than 15% of a CL on a card in a month, and promptly pay it off. 100% utilization of a card can potenially kill your credit score then you cant get the next card
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I only have a $1k line, and so a $1k hold means the card is unusable
You might want to revisit your strategy.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
order $750 at a time. That would do the trick
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:29 pm

I have five $1000 holds on my AA citibank card, unbeleivable, actually. There has been some issue with it every time and I've never had even one box shipped yet. They said we made an order within the past 10 days each time, so frustrating. Never had this issue with any other card. AMEX usaully removes the hold before I even get the shippment, so my order will go from a 1k hold to no hold back to 1k balance. Considering I've only got a 1K limit on the SPG AMEX, if I got stuck with a hold, I'd get screwed on meeting the 15k spend.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by leftpinky
I have five $1000 holds on my AA citibank card, unbeleivable, actually. There has been some issue with it every time and I've never had even one box shipped yet. They said we made an order within the past 10 days each time, so frustrating. Never had this issue with any other card. AMEX usaully removes the hold before I even get the shippment, so my order will go from a 1k hold to no hold back to 1k balance. Considering I've only got a 1K limit on the SPG AMEX, if I got stuck with a hold, I'd get screwed on meeting the 15k spend.
I am surprised Am Ex only gave you a $1k limit. Isn't the SPG a card with an annual fee?

You should be ok though. I use my hilton am ex card and placed an order on 3/2 that was shown as shipped last night (UPS still hasn't received the shipment though). There was a pending transaction for $1k that dropped off a few days ago and hasn't appeared back yet, it will probably show up on monday and tomorrow.

If you are really concerned something you can do is overpay the account as well. Just do a payment for $1,000 from your checking account bill payer to Am Ex (AM EX won't let you overpay an account on their site). If the charge shows up along with the authorization (which I have never seen it do) you are ok and it won't decline and as soon as the charge hits your account you will have a zero balance with Am Ex
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by cotter77
anyone have this happen to them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMimygVTgbU
Yeah, I saw this Seinfeld was on TV the other night.

One of my favorites. ^^^^^

I guess 3 Calzones in nickels and pennies is roughly equivalent to quarterly real estate taxes in golden dollars.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Mar 12, 2011 at 12:41 am
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:36 am

New definition of 10 days

I've got the definite impression that there is a new definition of 10 days. Not 10 days from the last order, but 10 days from credit card authorization. I've had two orders made on the 10th day following a previous order get placed "on hold" and am told by Customer Service that they will never be filled. Multiple calls to Customer Service confirm this new reality. They don't seem to realize that this makes it impossible to order once every 10 days. Accordingly, it would be a mistake for FF mileage players to order anything that is backordered. Probably better to stick with Native American series and Sacajaweas. This is no longer a 36K p.a. program, but more like a 24K p.a. program.

I've been thinking about writing to the Director of the Mint, but that position is now vacant. My wife recommends I write to my Congressman; that might work, but this is hardly an injustice by the government to which I am subjected; just the diminution of a good deal. I was turned down for an exception or exemption a year ago; I really don't have a good excuse. It would just be a matter of luck to be granted an exemption now; my reasons are no better. Customer Service is recommending I request an exemption, but they know nothing about the process.

I wonder who changed the definition: PBGS or the Mint?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by simonsim
I've got the definite impression that there is a new definition of 10 days. Not 10 days from the last order, but 10 days from credit card authorization. I've had two orders made on the 10th day following a previous order get placed "on hold" and am told by Customer Service that they will never be filled. Multiple calls to Customer Service confirm this new reality. They don't seem to realize that this makes it impossible to order once every 10 days. Accordingly, it would be a mistake for FF mileage players to order anything that is backordered. Probably better to stick with Native American series and Sacajaweas. This is no longer a 36K p.a. program, but more like a 24K p.a. program.
I'm not sure it's even that good.

I have orders from early Feb 2011 still ON HOLD, while subsequent orders from late Feb have shipped and been received. I've received the idiot "your credit card has declined" emails and called to tell them an attempt was never received by my CC company.

The service rep researched and at first told me I was under the 10 day rule. I told her my orders WERE placed 10 days apart, which she verified. ^ She dug into it further, then told me it was because the CURRENT meaning of 10 days is from WHEN IT SHIPS not when ordered.

Told her I'd done the 10 day spacing before and she said that things have changed. Seems the mint can't make up it's mind, continues to mindlessly change the rules, and doesn't bother to tell anybody, including their own staff, what the real deal is.

VERY FRUSTRATING.

Last edited by MojaveJack; Mar 12, 2011 at 1:12 am
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by qmiles321
Also, this may belong in a separate thread, but can any of you experts tell me what the deal is with the $2 bills? Tried searching the forums, but could not find anything.
Likewise, I'd like to know what the deal is/was. I've tried searching FlyerTalk, and on the net with Yahoo and Google. Haven't found a way to churn these via CC. If this is something no one want's to post publicly, please send me a private FlyerTalk message.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: Lotz
The service rep researched and at first told me I was under the 10 day rule. I told her my orders WERE placed 10 days apart, which she verified. She dug into it further, then told me it was because the CURRENT meaning of 10 days is from WHEN IT SHIPS not when ordered.
I've been asking this too because even tho I haven't had an order cancelled yet, they've been on hold until after the 10 days from last payment with same credit card it seems.

I think a new mint delay has snuck up on us.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:58 am

"The service rep researched and at first told me I was under the 10 day rule. I told her my orders WERE placed 10 days apart, which she verified. She dug into it further, then told me it was because the CURRENT meaning of 10 days is from WHEN IT SHIPS not when ordered. "

Same thing happened to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.