Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:45 am

Not Wedding presents but all the kids and grand-kids got a roll or two in their Christmas stocking..
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Not everyone encounters the situation you describe above. Some of us are fortunate to bank very close to home/work. Depositing them takes, all told, maybe 10 min out of my day. Longer if I talk to the attractive young tellers for a bit.
That sounded like the sketchiest thing I've ever heard!!! LOL

Are you winking and making suggestive gestures while typing that
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HoKo
That sounded like the sketchiest thing I've ever heard!!! LOL

Are you winking and making suggestive gestures while typing that
"Is that a roll of dollar coins in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I'm wondering if anyone actually does this Mint thing for anything except hitting spending requirements on new cards.

Otherwise, how can the effort be worth it?* I mean, for 25K miles (or 25% more, if using SPG card), you have to:

- Diligently reorder every 10 days for 250 days
- Go through the trouble of spending the coins or taking them to a depository institution, and often waiting for a long time to get them deposited

Is this really worth the equivalent of a few hundred bucks? I've certainly ordered my share for spending requirements, but after that I lost steam because the reward just didn't seem large enough.

Am I missing something or does everyone broadly agree?

*If you use the trick to get past the 1k/10day limit, then I suppose the timing issue goes away but the transport/depositing nuisance remains.
None of those problems are there for many.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm wondering if anyone actually does this Mint thing for anything except hitting spending requirements on new cards.

Otherwise, how can the effort be worth it?* I mean, for 25K miles (or 25% more, if using SPG card), you have to:

- Go through the trouble of spending the coins or taking them to a depository institution, and often waiting for a long time to get them deposited

Is this really worth the equivalent of a few hundred bucks? I've certainly ordered my share for spending requirements, but after that I lost steam because the reward just didn't seem large enough.

Am I missing something or does everyone broadly agree?
There are other advantages besides the base poitns/miles. With my hilton card if I do $40K a year in spending I get Diamond status. Playing by the mints rules of $1k every 10 days, you only have to do an additional $335 in spending a month on the hilton card for diamond status. Easy way to get diamond status, especially seeing my bank is only 1 1/2 blocks away and if I am realy lazy the bank the company does business with is in the lobby of my building and they will exchange the coins out for paper if I don't make a habit out of it.

The Delta platnium card gives you 10K mqm's for $25K in spending and 15KMQM's for $30K in spending on the delta reserve. Another easy way to earn 15K mqm's. It would be worth it to do the coins on a delta reserve or platnium if it will bump you to the next tier with the MQM's.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:38 am

I've certainly ordered my share for spending requirements, but after that I lost steam because the reward just didn't seem large enough.
That's been my experience.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I wouldn't put my CU through the hassle for just 1 mile/$. Isn't worth my time either. However, for 2% cash back, it pays utilities and buys a little beer. Kinda like buying soft commodity calls, every little bit helps.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
what happened to Millard Fillmore (Y13)? it's no longer offered as direct-ship but the others are... is there some system glitch?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bylin2000
what happened to Millard Fillmore (Y13)? it's no longer offered as direct-ship but the others are... is there some system glitch?
Not sure...I ordered a box of the Fillmores on backorder when it was up (will be out of town next week and wont be able to receive them). The box is still in my order history and tells me the expected ship date is 3/2/11.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I saw a movie related to this stuff!

Coin Story 3

with:

Buzz Light Box - To Citibank and Beyond!
Woody - Reach for your cards!
the army guys - bank security
Mr Potato Head - a teller
Andy - a mileage runner kid
the aliens - different kinds of Mint coins

I could go on but you now already know I am whacked
But I know some of you liked this post.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Mint orders are EVERY 10 BUSINESS DAYS, NOT EVERY 10 DAYS.

So you can not order 36 times a year.,

Wonder if they also take away business holidays,

10 business days plus 1 will get the job done...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Mint orders are EVERY 10 BUSINESS DAYS, NOT EVERY 10 DAYS.

So you can not order 36 times a year.,

Wonder if they also take away business holidays,

10 business days plus 1 will get the job done...
This has not been my experience. 10 days has always worked fine for me.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA, CO, AA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
There have been a couple times in NYC where I have taken a cab to LGA and the driver has had the nerve to ask me to pay in cash (In NYC they have to charge the same fare for credit cards as cash) and once the guy claimed his machine was down. Next time I have that happen I AM going to just pay in the coins and not even ask if it's ok.
'
they tell me that SH*T every time
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:20 pm

Sometimes their machine really is down. I generally tip less when the machine is down because it is their responsibility to get that fixed.

Can any New Yorkers confirm that in general Bank of America is indeed as friendly to rolled coins in NY as it appears to be across the US? I might open up an account with them if this is the case.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I'd say that's the primary use. Some spending requirements are quite large though. For example since Citi has pretty much killed churning, I've gone for the larger sign on bonus offer (the spend $10K in a year) instead of the smaller one (spend $1500 in 4 months).

Well, new SPG cards need to spend $15K to get the full sign on bonus. Need to spend $30K in a year if you want SPG gold (for what it's worth). I'd never even dream of hitting those requirements without the coins.

Also, I'm going for lifetime platinum on AAdvantage, so, every little bit helps.

I've never had the deposit take much more than a minute or two. I have to make a weekly visit to the bank anyway, the coins are just a small part of a larger bunch of business I do with them anyway.

But, agreed. Some may not find this to be all that worth while. For my circumstances, I do find it quite useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.