Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:08 pm

What happened to keeping this on topic?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
What happened to keeping this on topic?
I think this is on topic, actually.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by aviators99
I think this is on topic, actually.
I agree, it's as on topic as many things discussed in this thread.

Anyways, nothing like a little economics debate to get the juices flowing
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
We know that the Mint does not incur credit card charges, since the Federal government has an agreement with credit card companies and does not pass the charges to the Mint. No one knows if the Mint must pay for shipping. However, the operating results of the Mint improves if it is able to sell the Dollar Coins, as opposed to holding and storing the Dollar Coins. That is why many posters argue that the Mint has no desire to kill this deal. Like any business, it desires to avoid bad publicity, so it attempts to limit the "coin churning" that was described in the Wall Street Journal article.
i think it's been mentioned before that the mint has negotiated its shipping rates with UPS that are below consumer rates but not zero. but like HoKo, i have never heard of the mint avoiding cc processing fees.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by aviators99
Okay, sorry. I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I hate to say "common sense", because that doesn't have any context when you're talking about the gov't. But the real point of the program is to save money by replacing $1 bills with $1 coins. It wouldn't make sense to increase the money supply to do this.

I claim no cost.

Because it wouldn't stand a chance of success. Nobody would buy 10,000,000 bills. In order for it to work, the deal has to be compelling for a large number of people, and at no loss to those people. I claim this is a win-win deal for everyone except certain bank branches who have trouble dealing with the coins.
aviator is correct, the US Mint selling dollar coins is a profit center to the US Treasury. It transfers millions in profits to the US Treasury every year. They only book a profit when they sell the coins so all those tens of millions of $$$ of 2001 NA coins sitting in the vaults of the US Mint were just an expense to produce. They have to sell them to book the revenue. That's why the US Mint is happy to pay the credit card processing fees, they do pay them, and the cost of shipping, they do pay for that as well though they get a good rate, to sell them. But they are also always looking at their expenses in selling, those expenses have risen substantially as a % of the value of the coin ($1) and like any business look to see if they can reduce those costs.

Now as to why they can't do the same with dollar bills, it's because the BEP doesn't produce dollar bills for the US government, they produce them for the Federal Reserve and charge the Fed cost + small profit regardless if they are $1 bills or $100 bills. So no substantial profit flows from the BEP to the US Treasury.

It's a win-win except for the banks and the Federal Reserve which gets stuck with the cost of storing all the coins in its vaults.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by crabbing
i think it's been mentioned before that the mint has negotiated its shipping rates with UPS that are below consumer rates but not zero. but like HoKo, i have never heard of the mint avoiding cc processing fees.
I distinctly remember from the WSJ article that they asked the representative from the Mint what the CC fees were. The reply was that the fees were incurred by the central purchasing portion of the federal government and were not allocated down to agencies/instrumentalities like the Mint. I didn't mean to imply that the federal government doesn't incur fees or that the fees are fixed and do not increase as more credit card transactions occur. I was just saying that from the Mint's perspective, CC fees are irrelevant since they don't appear on the "income statement" of the Mint. The topic of discussion was that the sale of the dollar coins benefits the Mint from a microeconomic perspective even if it doesn't benefit the government as a whole. So the Mint has no incentive to kill the deal.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
I distinctly remember from the WSJ article that they asked the representative from the Mint what the CC fees were. The reply was that the fees were incurred by the central purchasing portion of the federal government and were not allocated down to agencies/instrumentalities like the Mint. I didn't mean to imply that the federal government doesn't incur fees or that the fees are fixed and do not increase as more credit card transactions occur. I was just saying that from the Mint's perspective, CC fees are irrelevant since they don't appear on the "income statement" of the Mint. The topic of discussion was that the sale of the dollar coins benefits the Mint from a microeconomic perspective even if it doesn't benefit the government as a whole. So the Mint has no incentive to kill the deal.
What's your feeling from the perspective of the government as a whole? My feeling is that there is no net loss, and perhaps a gain.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
amex gift cards

Is anyone else having trouble buying coins using an amex gift card? I can't get any purchase to go through. I set my address by calling, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any tips?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by leland
Is anyone else having trouble buying coins using an amex gift card? I can't get any purchase to go through. I set my address by calling, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any tips?
Have you read the last few pages and another thread that discussed the AMEX GC no longer works? It has been extensively discussed. No way around as of now.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
When was the last time you checked your credit score? Too many accounts will penalize you.

Originally Posted by cvfd1607
Thank you for this. I have several several cards but my main one is Chases SWA Card so I can earn free flights with them.

My limit on that card is $4,500... Should I have anything to worry about?

I have a total of 17 Credit Cards...

Citibank AA
Amex SPG
Chase SWA etc but my main one that I use for vacations inside US is the Chase SWA and they've actually been giving me CLIs.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by leland

Any tips?
Dead now. Read the last couple pages of the amex gift card thread below
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-not-work.html
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I didn't receive my 1/23 order untkil 2/4 so maybe the mint is making up for the slowness on my last order
yes, the 2/2 order went to process finally.

Originally Posted by crabbing
I am curious what, if any shipping rates have been negotiated with Fed X and or the USPS. Or, has the reason why many shipments to USPS have been slow got to do with some theory that there are no arrangements? (sorry if that grammar fails. I aint had no cawfee yet)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by HoKo
(fun fact: Zimbabwe currently has a bill worth 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollars...this is the sorta crap that happens when you intentionally print money and sell it at a "profit")
I bought one of those on eBay not too long ago.... cost me a whopping $2.00 (US). I display it here at my desk and tell people I'm a trillionaire.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yes, the 2/2 order went to process finally.

I am curious what, if any shipping rates have been negotiated with Fed X and or the USPS. Or, has the reason why many shipments to USPS have been slow got to do with some theory that there are no arrangements? (sorry if that grammar fails. I aint had no cawfee yet)
I am assuming a VERY cheap rate if they are sending the coins overnight, otherwise they would just send them UPS ground. I worked in the title insurance industry and know that you can negotiate HUGE discounts with them. I know we were paying less than $5 for an overnight document envelope and I think the published UPS rate at that time was around $18 so we got over a 70% discount. It wouldn't surprise me if the mint has over an 80% discount rate with UPS.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ddallas
Dead now. Read the last couple pages of the amex gift card thread below
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-not-work.html
I don't understand how Am Ex can decline the charge if the funds are on the card. I haven't had an Am Ex GC in a while, but a vendor used to give them to me at christmas time and the terms stated it couldn't be used for pay at pump purchases and there were a couple other exclusions but I didn't see the mint listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.