Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
A lot of jailhouse lawyers here. I guess it is OK to yell fire in a crowded theater. The 1st admendment says so.
You and cordelli must hang out

Tax office took the coins, don't see a ton of people posting about the same problem, so I wouldn't fret over it. Carsonheim's experience just shows that it may be difficult to do this and other members might want to take note.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
A lot of jailhouse lawyers here. I guess it is OK to yell fire in a crowded theater. The 1st admendment says so.
Well, okay then. Clearly a different level of exhibiting one's rights...

People besides lawyers read and understand legal matters.

How are you doing with distributing your coins?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by carsonheim
How are you doing with distributing your coins?
I just sold 20 1oz gold eagles. Not sure what that has to do with anything but thanks for asking.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I just sold 20 1oz gold eagles....
ain't chump change!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I love how the conversation can never seem to stay on the ordering of coins but always veers off on tangents. The same topics over and over, only a change of venue - either hypothetical or first hand related experience.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Alaska, USAir, BA, Starwood, Continental, United
Order from November 26

Order in process, instock and reserved. This is a long delay. Last orders
Ordered Shipped
10/25 10/29
11/4 11/09
11/15 11/17

Worst one in recent memory
7/23 08/08

Maybe I'm getting spoiled.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carsonheim
The language of the coinage act of 1965 clearly states that all legal tender must be accepted to clear a debt. It specifically refers to using legal tender as a form of payment for taxes.
THe local town newsletter showed up in my mail last night and on the front page is a bit on this years property taxes., They make it very clear that this year they will NOT be accepting cash for any tax payments - only checks/bank drafts/money orders.

Given the banter on the coin act, I found this to be pretty interesting.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Stoughton
THe local town newsletter showed up in my mail last night and on the front page is a bit on this years property taxes., They make it very clear that this year they will NOT be accepting cash for any tax payments - only checks/bank drafts/money orders.

Given the banter on the coin act, I found this to be pretty interesting.
I can see for safety reasons why they wouldn't want to accept cash, but I was under the impression that for any tax debt cash had to be accepted. I don't have a dollar coin in front of me but the wording on the $1 bill I am looking at makes it sound like it is, seeing a tax bill is a public debt.

Some municpalities will require either cash or certified funds by used for delinquent taxes on properties about to go into foreclosure. If I was one of those people I would prefer to pay cash seeing that most banks charge for a certified check and I also wouldn't want my local bank seeing a check made out to the delinquent tax collection department.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Order "Suspended" then Disappeared

Here's a first: three days ago I places an $1000 order for coins. Rather than immediately authorizing my card as is usually the case, the order immediately said "suspended" and I was not sent a confirmation email.

Based on some past posts in this thread, I figured that the mint's systems were just backlogged and that my order would be processed and authorized later. Now, the order doesn't even appear any longer in my list of orders. Very strange.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I just sold 20 1oz gold eagles. Not sure what that has to do with anything but thanks for asking.
I know there is a premium when you buy 1 Oz gold coins, do you get the full gold market price when you sell them or discounted? I have gold sovereigns from ebay/bing cashback from $900 oz.

(Still on topic as they are coins from a mint)

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I know there is a premium when you buy 1 Oz gold coins, do you get the full gold market price when you sell them or discounted? I have gold sovereigns from ebay/bing cashback from $900 oz.

(Still on topic as they are coins from a mint)

JudyJFLA
Spot +
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Alaska, USAir, BA, Starwood, Continental, United
Mint Backlog

Got two sets of shipping confirmations for coins ordered on 11/26
Shipped 12/3 and 12/4

Seems they're catching up
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Here's a first: three days ago I places an $1000 order for coins. Rather than immediately authorizing my card as is usually the case, the order immediately said "suspended" and I was not sent a confirmation email.

Based on some past posts in this thread, I figured that the mint's systems were just backlogged and that my order would be processed and authorized later. Now, the order doesn't even appear any longer in my list of orders. Very strange.
The only time this ever happened to me the 3 orders that went into suspended status ended up being deleted from the Mint's system and I received an email weeks later telling me that the orders got lost in their system and that I needed to replace the orders. I had already deduced as much after speaking with a Mint CSR that couldn't even find the orders in the system but it was a PITA nonetheless
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Order placed on 12/2 went to "in process", we will see how long it will take them to ship it.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
anyone out there with exemptions having successful shipments/deliveries? I got one that has been in limbo for 4 weeks now. Please PM me if you have any clues as to what the mint is doing with these larger orders other than slow meticulous processing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.